Access denied: Is there a trick to connecting to an XP SP3 share from Vista?

Milhouse Van Houten

Access denied: Is there a trick to connecting to an XP SP3 share from Vista?
I've tried everything I know and can find to solve this problem, but at this
point I have to think this is either something too subtle or too obvious for
me to see.

Did something change in the XP SP3 security model relative to Vista?

I have these machines: Vista SP1, XP SP2, XP SP3 (new, clean install,
updated).

I can connect Vista to shares on SP2 all day with no problem.

I cannot connect Vista to any shares on SP3 ever, including "SharedDocs" or
any that I create -- the very same shares I *can* connect to easily using
SP2. Access is always denied using Vista, though.

** This tells me that something needs to be adjusted in Vista to deal with
SP3, but I have no idea what. **

I've tried simple file sharing and not.

I've tried using passwords and not (and when "not," I did disable "Limit
local account use of blank passwords to console logon only").

I've made very sure of my usernames and passwords and entered them correctly
in Map Network Drive (don't forget, I can connect from SP2 just fine,
indicating that both the shares and my credentials are good).

I've double-checked folder share permissions and explicitly added the
appropriate accounts to the lists.

I've even tried matching the logged-in accounts between Vista and SP3 so
that I'm using the same username/password on each.

The Windows firewall is disabled, even though it doesn't need to be (for one
thing, by default it allows file sharing access, and for another thing,
connecting with SP2 through the SP3 firewall works fine).

It's a new install, so there is no 3rd-party anything on it.

This is all wired Fast Ethernet, nothing exotic.

Thanks

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Access denied: Is there a trick to connecting to an XP SP3 share from Vista?
Do a simple test. Can you ping the Vista from XP sp3 using IP? If yes, do
you receive any system error if using net view \\vistaipaddress?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Milhouse Van Houten" <btvs@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> I've tried everything I know and can find to solve this problem, but at
> this point I have to think this is either something too subtle or too
> obvious for me to see.
>
> Did something change in the XP SP3 security model relative to Vista?
>
> I have these machines: Vista SP1, XP SP2, XP SP3 (new, clean install,
> updated).
>
> I can connect Vista to shares on SP2 all day with no problem.
>
> I cannot connect Vista to any shares on SP3 ever, including "SharedDocs"
> or any that I create -- the very same shares I *can* connect to easily
> using SP2. Access is always denied using Vista, though.
>
> ** This tells me that something needs to be adjusted in Vista to deal with
> SP3, but I have no idea what. **
>
> I've tried simple file sharing and not.
>
> I've tried using passwords and not (and when "not," I did disable "Limit
> local account use of blank passwords to console logon only").
>
> I've made very sure of my usernames and passwords and entered them
> correctly in Map Network Drive (don't forget, I can connect from SP2 just
> fine, indicating that both the shares and my credentials are good).
>
> I've double-checked folder share permissions and explicitly added the
> appropriate accounts to the lists.
>
> I've even tried matching the logged-in accounts between Vista and SP3 so
> that I'm using the same username/password on each.
>
> The Windows firewall is disabled, even though it doesn't need to be (for
> one thing, by default it allows file sharing access, and for another
> thing, connecting with SP2 through the SP3 firewall works fine).
>
> It's a new install, so there is no 3rd-party anything on it.
>
> This is all wired Fast Ethernet, nothing exotic.
>
> Thanks

Milhouse Van Houten

Re: Access denied: Is there a trick to connecting to an XP SP3 share from Vista?
Hi,

I think you meant the other way around: ping SP3 from Vista (Vista is the
connecting machine, SP3 is the machine with the shares I'm trying to connect
to). And the answer is yes to the pings (both ways) but no to net view of
SP3. Access denied. At least it's consistent.

BTW, as expected, a net view of SP2 works fine, showing the available
shares.

If there is any difference between the way SP2 and SP3 are configured, I
have not found it.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> Do a simple test. Can you ping the Vista from XP sp3 using IP? If yes, do
> you receive any system error if using net view \\vistaipaddress?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Milhouse Van Houten" <btvs@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>> I've tried everything I know and can find to solve this problem, but at
>> this point I have to think this is either something too subtle or too
>> obvious for me to see.
>>
>> Did something change in the XP SP3 security model relative to Vista?
>>
>> I have these machines: Vista SP1, XP SP2, XP SP3 (new, clean install,
>> updated).
>>
>> I can connect Vista to shares on SP2 all day with no problem.
>>
>> I cannot connect Vista to any shares on SP3 ever, including "SharedDocs"
>> or any that I create -- the very same shares I *can* connect to easily
>> using SP2. Access is always denied using Vista, though.
>>
>> ** This tells me that something needs to be adjusted in Vista to deal
>> with SP3, but I have no idea what. **
>>
>> I've tried simple file sharing and not.
>>
>> I've tried using passwords and not (and when "not," I did disable "Limit
>> local account use of blank passwords to console logon only").
>>
>> I've made very sure of my usernames and passwords and entered them
>> correctly in Map Network Drive (don't forget, I can connect from SP2 just
>> fine, indicating that both the shares and my credentials are good).
>>
>> I've double-checked folder share permissions and explicitly added the
>> appropriate accounts to the lists.
>>
>> I've even tried matching the logged-in accounts between Vista and SP3 so
>> that I'm using the same username/password on each.
>>
>> The Windows firewall is disabled, even though it doesn't need to be (for
>> one thing, by default it allows file sharing access, and for another
>> thing, connecting with SP2 through the SP3 firewall works fine).
>>
>> It's a new install, so there is no 3rd-party anything on it.
>>
>> This is all wired Fast Ethernet, nothing exotic.
>>
>> Thanks

Mick Murphy

RE: Access denied: Is there a trick to connecting to an XP SP3 share f
Have a read of info below.
And read the part about File Sharing by XP.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mad Mike

"Milhouse Van Houten" wrote:

> I've tried everything I know and can find to solve this problem, but at this
> point I have to think this is either something too subtle or too obvious for
> me to see.
>
> Did something change in the XP SP3 security model relative to Vista?
>
> I have these machines: Vista SP1, XP SP2, XP SP3 (new, clean install,
> updated).
>
> I can connect Vista to shares on SP2 all day with no problem.
>
> I cannot connect Vista to any shares on SP3 ever, including "SharedDocs" or
> any that I create -- the very same shares I *can* connect to easily using
> SP2. Access is always denied using Vista, though.
>
> ** This tells me that something needs to be adjusted in Vista to deal with
> SP3, but I have no idea what. **
>
> I've tried simple file sharing and not.
>
> I've tried using passwords and not (and when "not," I did disable "Limit
> local account use of blank passwords to console logon only").
>
> I've made very sure of my usernames and passwords and entered them correctly
> in Map Network Drive (don't forget, I can connect from SP2 just fine,
> indicating that both the shares and my credentials are good).
>
> I've double-checked folder share permissions and explicitly added the
> appropriate accounts to the lists.
>
> I've even tried matching the logged-in accounts between Vista and SP3 so
> that I'm using the same username/password on each.
>
> The Windows firewall is disabled, even though it doesn't need to be (for one
> thing, by default it allows file sharing access, and for another thing,
> connecting with SP2 through the SP3 firewall works fine).
>
> It's a new install, so there is no 3rd-party anything on it.
>
> This is all wired Fast Ethernet, nothing exotic.
>
> Thanks

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Access denied: Is there a trick to connecting to an XP SP3 share from Vista?
In most cases, net view will give you a system error. if it is 5, this could
be permission issue. if it is 53, this could be firewall issue. If it is
firewall issue, try to start XP sp3 safe mode with network for
troubleshooting.
System Errors
System error 1231 has occurred. The network location cannot be
reached. ... System error 6118 - The list of servers for this workgroup is
not currently ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm