Wireless adaptor not in range

T0pcat

Wireless adaptor not in range
I am using Vista on my laptop and XP on my desktop. My laptop connects
through a Belkin 54g wireless router wchich is wired through my desktop. I
have had no problems for the last 2 or 3 years, but i have started getting
disconnected frequently and when I try diagnosing, I get several different
messages including " The Belkin54g is not in range"! Even if i'm sitting
right next to the router. The next minute i'm getting an excellent signal and
it works perfectly until it decides to disconnect again! Can anyone tell me
what is wrong?
Malke

Re: Wireless adaptor not in range
T0pcat wrote:

> I am using Vista on my laptop and XP on my desktop. My laptop connects
> through a Belkin 54g wireless router wchich is wired through my desktop. I
> have had no problems for the last 2 or 3 years, but i have started getting
> disconnected frequently and when I try diagnosing, I get several different
> messages including " The Belkin54g is not in range"! Even if i'm sitting
> right next to the router. The next minute i'm getting an excellent signal
> and it works perfectly until it decides to disconnect again! Can anyone
> tell me what is wrong?

Take your laptop to a friend's house and connect to their wireless network.
Does the connection stay solid? Test for at least a few hours. If yes, it's
time to replace your router. If you have problems at the friend's house,
there's a problem with your laptop's wireless network adapter.

After you do this troubleshooting, post back with results if you need more
help.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

T0pcat

"Malke" wrote:

> Take your laptop to a friend's house and connect to their wireless network.
> Does the connection stay solid? Test for at least a few hours. If yes, it's
> time to replace your router. If you have problems at the friend's house,
> there's a problem with your laptop's wireless network adapter.
>
> After you do this troubleshooting, post back with results if you need more
> help.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Got my son to bring his laptop to my house and tried that, no luck with his
either, so it looks like like my router has packed in!

T0pcat wrote:

> Got my son to bring his laptop to my house and tried that, no luck with
> his either, so it looks like like my router has packed in!

Excellent troubleshooting job. I concur with your assessment!

Malke