Problem with Vista sharing network Name not found

Foxbat

Problem with Vista sharing network Name not found
I am operating a network with two Vista PC's. One stationary and one
portable. In addition an old XP PC is included.
The network has been working before, but now a strange condition exists.
My portable is operating perfectly well and can see the stationary Vista as
well as the XP.
My stationary PC does not show in the Network Window but can be seen as part
of the map of the network.
Access to the stationary is denied and testing on the stationary: Start
\\MD8833 (Name of the stationary) gives the message No access to \\MD8833
and diagnosing indicates no problem with the network.

The two Vista machines have exactly the same configuration and the same
Bullguard firewall with identical set up

I would greatly appreciate any help towards re finding MD8833, if that is
the solution

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Problem with Vista sharing network Name not found
Try to use net view ip address, for example net view \\192.168.1.2 which
192.168.1.2 is md8833 IP address. Do you receive any system error?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Foxbat" <arfo@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
>I am operating a network with two Vista PC's. One stationary and one
>portable. In addition an old XP PC is included.
> The network has been working before, but now a strange condition exists.
> My portable is operating perfectly well and can see the stationary Vista
> as well as the XP.
> My stationary PC does not show in the Network Window but can be seen as
> part of the map of the network.
> Access to the stationary is denied and testing on the stationary: Start
> \\MD8833 (Name of the stationary) gives the message No access to \\MD8833
> and diagnosing indicates no problem with the network.
>
> The two Vista machines have exactly the same configuration and the same
> Bullguard firewall with identical set up
>
> I would greatly appreciate any help towards re finding MD8833, if that is
> the solution

Foxbat

Re: Problem with Vista sharing network Name not found
I have just tried the net view \\192.168.1.101 which is the stationary PC
fixes address.
No error was indicated and the associated units are displayed
arfox

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> skrev i meddelelsen
> Try to use net view ip address, for example net view \\192.168.1.2 which
> 192.168.1.2 is md8833 IP address. Do you receive any system error?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Foxbat" <arfo@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
>>I am operating a network with two Vista PC's. One stationary and one
>>portable. In addition an old XP PC is included.
>> The network has been working before, but now a strange condition exists.
>> My portable is operating perfectly well and can see the stationary Vista
>> as well as the XP.
>> My stationary PC does not show in the Network Window but can be seen as
>> part of the map of the network.
>> Access to the stationary is denied and testing on the stationary: Start
>> \\MD8833 (Name of the stationary) gives the message No access to \\MD8833
>> and diagnosing indicates no problem with the network.
>>
>> The two Vista machines have exactly the same configuration and the same
>> Bullguard firewall with identical set up
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate any help towards re finding MD8833, if that is
>> the solution

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Problem with Vista sharing network Name not found
1. Make sure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.
2. Make sure you have assign permissions in the Security tab.
3. if above don't fix the problem, try to use Icacls.exe utility to check
the permission.

Vista Password Issues
Can't enable/disable Vista Password Protected Sharing · Vista can open
but save - access denied · Vista can't create file: Make sure file name are
correct ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapassword.htm

>I have just tried the net view \\192.168.1.101 which is the stationary PC
>fixes address.
> No error was indicated and the associated units are displayed
> arfox
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> skrev i meddelelsen
>> Try to use net view ip address, for example net view \\192.168.1.2 which
>> 192.168.1.2 is md8833 IP address. Do you receive any system error?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Foxbat" <arfo@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
>>>I am operating a network with two Vista PC's. One stationary and one
>>>portable. In addition an old XP PC is included.
>>> The network has been working before, but now a strange condition exists.
>>> My portable is operating perfectly well and can see the stationary Vista
>>> as well as the XP.
>>> My stationary PC does not show in the Network Window but can be seen as
>>> part of the map of the network.
>>> Access to the stationary is denied and testing on the stationary: Start
>>> \\MD8833 (Name of the stationary) gives the message No access to
>>> \\MD8833 and diagnosing indicates no problem with the network.
>>>
>>> The two Vista machines have exactly the same configuration and the same
>>> Bullguard firewall with identical set up
>>>
>>> I would greatly appreciate any help towards re finding MD8833, if that
>>> is the solution

Foxbat

Re: Problem with Vista sharing network Name not found
I gave up and reinstalled the PC from a Ghost Back Up from august 2008.
That solved he problem, may be not elegant, but anyway OK
Thank you for your effort