File Sharing between 32 bit and 64 bit o/s

Jonboy666

File Sharing between 32 bit and 64 bit o/s
Just posted this in the wrong thread and founf this one more appropriate
(sorry)

I have a laptop running vista premium 32 bit and a desktop running vista
ultimate 64 bit. I have tried all the usual avanues to get file sharing to
work but no joy.

I even paid Iyogi tech' support and they in form me it is because i'm
running one 32 bit o/s and one 64 bit o/s.

Is this really true? If so is there a way around it?

Thanks in advance - John.
Malke

Re: File Sharing between 32 bit and 64 bit o/s
Jonboy666 wrote:

> Just posted this in the wrong thread and founf this one more appropriate
> (sorry)
>
> I have a laptop running vista premium 32 bit and a desktop running vista
> ultimate 64 bit. I have tried all the usual avanues to get file sharing to
> work but no joy.
>
> I even paid Iyogi tech' support and they in form me it is because i'm
> running one 32 bit o/s and one 64 bit o/s.
>
> Is this really true? If so is there a way around it?

No, it isn't true. The fact that one OS is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit is
irrelevant when it comes to file sharing over the network. Since I have no
idea what "the usual avenues" are and what you've tried, here are general
network sharing troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be applicable to
your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look daunting, but
if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below systematically
and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

John Thompson

On 2008-12-11, Jonboy666 <Jonboy666@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a laptop running vista premium 32 bit and a desktop running vista
> ultimate 64 bit. I have tried all the usual avanues to get file sharing to
> work but no joy.
>
> I even paid Iyogi tech' support and they in form me it is because i'm
> running one 32 bit o/s and one 64 bit o/s.
>
> Is this really true? If so is there a way around it?

Not true. I share filesystems between 32-bit Vista. 32-bit Win2k, 64-bit
linux and 32-bit linux all the time without problems.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)