One Vista PC cannot share with Vista, XP or Server 2003.

David Sommers

One Vista PC cannot share with Vista, XP or Server 2003.
I have One Vista PC, one Vista notebook, one Windows Server 2003 PC and a
bunch of XP desktops and notebooks. All of the XP machines are SP3, the Vista
machines are SP1. The Vista notebook can share files and folders as expected
with any of the other machines in the workgroup. All the XP machines and the
Server 2003 PC can share as expected. However, the Vista PC cannot share any
files or folders with any other machine. It can share its printer just fine
with any machine as expected.

Of special note - prior to replacing all of the hard drives in this Vista
PC, I could share files and folders as expected. As each hard drive was
replaced, I lost the ability to share from that drive. I have tried removing
and then re-establishing shares with different share names, as well as
setting the permissions for Everyone to full control. No attempts to reset
the sharing have been successful. If I look at the share setting for any of
these drives, it looks as if any Vista or XP machine should be able to have
access. None do. The shares show up, but an Access Denied message greets any
attepmts to connect. This Vista machine can connect and access any machine in
the workgroup.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: One Vista PC cannot share with Vista, XP or Server 2003.
Have you assigned permissions in the Security tab? Or this search result may
help.
Vista Permission Issues
Mar 19, 2007 ... Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post subject:
How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"David Sommers" <CrunchyDoodle@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>I have One Vista PC, one Vista notebook, one Windows Server 2003 PC and a
> bunch of XP desktops and notebooks. All of the XP machines are SP3, the
> Vista
> machines are SP1. The Vista notebook can share files and folders as
> expected
> with any of the other machines in the workgroup. All the XP machines and
> the
> Server 2003 PC can share as expected. However, the Vista PC cannot share
> any
> files or folders with any other machine. It can share its printer just
> fine
> with any machine as expected.
>
> Of special note - prior to replacing all of the hard drives in this Vista
> PC, I could share files and folders as expected. As each hard drive was
> replaced, I lost the ability to share from that drive. I have tried
> removing
> and then re-establishing shares with different share names, as well as
> setting the permissions for Everyone to full control. No attempts to reset
> the sharing have been successful. If I look at the share setting for any
> of
> these drives, it looks as if any Vista or XP machine should be able to
> have
> access. None do. The shares show up, but an Access Denied message greets
> any
> attepmts to connect. This Vista machine can connect and access any machine
> in
> the workgroup.

David Sommers

Re: One Vista PC cannot share with Vista, XP or Server 2003.
Yes, I used the Security Tab to assign Everyone as Full Control, though I
shouldn't have to for reading, which is the default.

With XP, when I change the permissions, XP will go through all the files and
folders affected and set the permissions. This can take several minutes for a
large tree. With Vista, at least on this machine, changing permissions does
not result in any noticeable disk activity. Is that how it should be?

Bye.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Have you assigned permissions in the Security tab? Or this search result may
> help.
> Vista Permission Issues
> Mar 19, 2007 ... Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post subject:
> How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "David Sommers" <CrunchyDoodle@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> >I have One Vista PC, one Vista notebook, one Windows Server 2003 PC and a
> > bunch of XP desktops and notebooks. All of the XP machines are SP3, the
> > Vista
> > machines are SP1. The Vista notebook can share files and folders as
> > expected
> > with any of the other machines in the workgroup. All the XP machines and
> > the
> > Server 2003 PC can share as expected. However, the Vista PC cannot share
> > any
> > files or folders with any other machine. It can share its printer just
> > fine
> > with any machine as expected.
> >
> > Of special note - prior to replacing all of the hard drives in this Vista
> > PC, I could share files and folders as expected. As each hard drive was
> > replaced, I lost the ability to share from that drive. I have tried
> > removing
> > and then re-establishing shares with different share names, as well as
> > setting the permissions for Everyone to full control. No attempts to reset
> > the sharing have been successful. If I look at the share setting for any
> > of
> > these drives, it looks as if any Vista or XP machine should be able to
> > have
> > access. None do. The shares show up, but an Access Denied message greets
> > any
> > attepmts to connect. This Vista machine can connect and access any machine
> > in
> > the workgroup.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: One Vista PC cannot share with Vista, XP or Server 2003.

You may want to use icacls to check the permissions. Also do you have 3rd
party security software?
How to: check permissions using ...
How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command ... I want to
share my Vista D drive with the XP Pro and Win2K machines on my network. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...21f994 3d18bd

--
> [...]
>> > Vista
>> > PC, I could share files and folders as expected. As each hard drive was
>> > replaced, I lost the ability to share from that drive. I have tried
>> > removing
>> > and then re-establishing shares with different share names, as well as
>> > setting the permissions for Everyone to full control. No attempts to
>> > reset
>> > the sharing have been successful. If I look at the share setting for
>> > any
>> > of
>> > these drives, it looks as if any Vista or XP machine should be able to
>> > have
>> > access. None do. The shares show up, but an Access Denied message
>> > greets
>> > any
>> > attepmts to connect. This Vista machine can connect and access any

David Sommers

Re: One Vista PC cannot share with Vista, XP or Server 2003.
I used icacls to inspect the permissions on the Vista PC and compare with
those on the Vista notebook that shares properly. From what I could
understand, the Vista PC had some permissions missing. There was no entry for
Everyone. In fact Everyone was missing from the standard Public folder. I
tried using icacls to add EveryoneF) to the permissions for Drive_V. There
was a fair amount of disk activity for some time. After it got quiet, I tried
to connect to the Vista PC from the Vista notebook. I was able to get down
one level of folders on the Drive_V share before I got an Access Denied
message. When I tried the same addition to Drive_P, it failed after some disk
activity saying the share name no longer existed. This was not actually the
case, the share was still there.

Of note: Drive_P and Drive_V are shares on two 1.5TB drives with less than
1TB of data each. Drive_P has many smallish files, while Drive_V has much
fewer, but larger files. It appears as if Vista doesn't fully traverse the
trees on these drives and sort of give up setting the permissions with no
error in one case and a bogus error in another.

What would you suggest now?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You may want to use icacls to check the permissions. Also do you have 3rd
> party security software?
> How to: check permissions using ...
> How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command ... I want to
> share my Vista D drive with the XP Pro and Win2K machines on my network. ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...21f994 3d18bd
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "David Sommers" <CrunchyDoodle@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> > Yes, I used the Security Tab to assign Everyone as Full Control, though I
> > shouldn't have to for reading, which is the default.
> >
> > With XP, when I change the permissions, XP will go through all the files
> > and
> > folders affected and set the permissions. This can take several minutes
> > for a
> > large tree. With Vista, at least on this machine, changing permissions
> > does
> > not result in any noticeable disk activity. Is that how it should be?
> >
> > Bye.
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you assigned permissions in the Security tab? Or this search result
> >> may
> >> help.
> >> Vista Permission Issues
> >> Mar 19, 2007 ... Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post
> >> subject:
> >> How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote .
> >> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: One Vista PC cannot share with Vista, XP or Server 2003.
We don't recommend to assign everyone to a root drive. Can try an account or
group? also please try to start the computer safe mode with network for
troubleshooting.