how can share folder between vistas?

jakein2008

how can share folder between vistas?
I have two computer using Vista, how can share folder in these two
computer,please give me the steps or walkthrough.

Thanks.
peter

Re: how can share folder between vistas?
here is a step by step from MS

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"jakein2008" <jakein2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have two computer using Vista, how can share folder in these two
> computer,please give me the steps or walkthrough.
>
> Thanks.

jakein2008

Re: how can share folder between vistas?
Hi, thank you for your answer,

but after I follow these steps, I still cannot access the share folder from
other vista computer.

The sharing folder is created sucessfully,but It seems that I can not use
\\computername\sharefoldername to visist the sharing folder. can you help me
why I can not access the shared folder? any tips are welcome.

Thanks.

"peter" wrote:

> here is a step by step from MS

> peter
>
> --
> If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate
> or disruptive,please ignore it.
> If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain
> to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)
>
> "jakein2008" <jakein2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have two computer using Vista, how can share folder in these two
> > computer,please give me the steps or walkthrough.
> >
> > Thanks.

Malke

jakein2008 wrote:

> Hi, thank you for your answer,
>
> but after I follow these steps, I still cannot access the share folder
> from other vista computer.
>
> The sharing folder is created sucessfully,but It seems that I can not use
> \\computername\sharefoldername to visist the sharing folder. can you help
> me why I can not access the shared folder? any tips are welcome.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!