ics doesn't work

Robert Lebovich

ics doesn't work
When i installed new updates last week on Windows Vista SP1 my Internet
Connection Sharing stoped to work with wifi. When i create a new wifi
connection (ad-hoc) it works fine except ICS. It shows a message that it is
unable to enable ics or it simply doesn't show the box to enable the ICS.

Has anyone an idea how to fix this.

P. S. Sorry for my English.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: ics doesn't work
Hi
Take a look at the end of this page,
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b14771033.mspx
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Robert Lebovich" <telebovich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When i installed new updates last week on Windows Vista SP1 my Internet
> Connection Sharing stoped to work with wifi. When i create a new wifi
> connection (ad-hoc) it works fine except ICS. It shows a message that it
> is unable to enable ics or it simply doesn't show the box to enable the
> ICS.
>
> Has anyone an idea how to fix this.
>
> P. S. Sorry for my English.

Gordon

Re: ics doesn't work
"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Take a look at the end of this page,
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b14771033.mspx
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

I really do not understand, in this day and age of (almost) universal
broadband and cheap routers and switches why anyone still uses ics. Yes it
was a kludgy workaround to enable multiple machines to connect to the
internet in the days of dial-up modems and ISDN but really, today? It causes
more problems than it solves and for very little relative expense the whole
shebang can be ditched...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: ics doesn't work
Hi
I do not understand it either, especially when an humble Wireless Cable/DSL
Router can be found for less than $30.
However some people might be in other countries where availability is
different than what we are used to in the State.
Others might need something Temp., and thus perceive any spending as Not
needed. So as long as it is part of the OS we have to help.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> Hi
> I do not understand it either, especially when an humble Wireless
> Cable/DSL Router can be found for less than $30.
> However some people might be in other countries where availability is
> different than what we are used to in the State.
> Others might need something Temp., and thus perceive any spending as Not
> needed. So as long as it is part of the OS we have to help.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

I rather suspect, that as opposed to non-availability of hardware, it's more
of a scenario of "this is the way we've always done it" and any other way is
the black art of Networking! <Runs away screaming....>
--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level