Hardwire remote desktop access through router?

Maurice

Hardwire remote desktop access through router?
I have a Vista Ultimate desktop that I would like to connect to from a
laptop. I have two 50' ethernet cables and a Linksys router. How can I use
these items in order to see the desktop through my XP Pro laptop. Normally I
use logmein.com but the internet service has been problematic. The desktop
is in a room about 80' from mine. I suspect it will involve remote desktop,
establishing a network and some other settings changes. OR... is there a
wasy to leave the router connected to the desktop and use the laptop's
wireless to connect to the router, then on to the Vista desktop. Guidance
sought
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Hardwire remote desktop access through router?
We need more information to help. How do you setup these computers? Are they
in the same subnet? can you ping each other?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Vista Ultimate desktop that I would like to connect to from a
> laptop. I have two 50' ethernet cables and a Linksys router. How can I
> use
> these items in order to see the desktop through my XP Pro laptop.
> Normally I
> use logmein.com but the internet service has been problematic. The
> desktop
> is in a room about 80' from mine. I suspect it will involve remote
> desktop,
> establishing a network and some other settings changes. OR... is there a
> wasy to leave the router connected to the desktop and use the laptop's
> wireless to connect to the router, then on to the Vista desktop. Guidance
> sought

Maurice

Re: Hardwire remote desktop access through router?
Much thanks for the timely reply. The Vista desktop is 192.168.2.103.
The XP Pro laptop is 192.168.2.101. The laptop pinged the desktop with 0%
loss At present, both machines are ethernet cable connected to a Linksys
wireless router. The laptop has a wireless PCMCIA card and can connect to
the router and to the internet without the ethernet cable. I normally
connect to the desktop with a solution known as logmein.com. Works well but
my Verizon internet goes down more often than I would like. Much thanks for
your continued support

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> We need more information to help. How do you setup these computers? Are they
> in the same subnet? can you ping each other?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Vista Ultimate desktop that I would like to connect to from a
> > laptop. I have two 50' ethernet cables and a Linksys router. How can I
> > use
> > these items in order to see the desktop through my XP Pro laptop.
> > Normally I
> > use logmein.com but the internet service has been problematic. The
> > desktop
> > is in a room about 80' from mine. I suspect it will involve remote
> > desktop,
> > establishing a network and some other settings changes. OR... is there a
> > wasy to leave the router connected to the desktop and use the laptop's
> > wireless to connect to the router, then on to the Vista desktop. Guidance
> > sought

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Hardwire remote desktop access through router?
"Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Vista Ultimate desktop that I would like to connect to from a
> laptop. I have two 50' ethernet cables and a Linksys router. How can
> I use
> these items in order to see the desktop through my XP Pro laptop.
> Normally I
> use logmein.com but the internet service has been problematic. The
> desktop
> is in a room about 80' from mine. I suspect it will involve remote
> desktop,
> establishing a network and some other settings changes. OR... is
> there a
> wasy to leave the router connected to the desktop and use the laptop's
> wireless to connect to the router, then on to the Vista desktop.
> Guidance
> sought

Enable Remote Desktop on the Vista Ultimate desktop then call it from
the laptop using the private LAN IP of the desktop, ie. the
192.168.2.103 IP address you said it had.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...8ee721033.mspx

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...endations.html

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Hardwire remote desktop access through router?
Assume XP can ping Vista but not other way, I would check the firewall
first.

--
> Much thanks for the timely reply. The Vista desktop is 192.168.2.103.
> The XP Pro laptop is 192.168.2.101. The laptop pinged the desktop with 0%
> loss At present, both machines are ethernet cable connected to a Linksys
> wireless router. The laptop has a wireless PCMCIA card and can connect to
> the router and to the internet without the ethernet cable. I normally
> connect to the desktop with a solution known as logmein.com. Works well
> but
> my Verizon internet goes down more often than I would like. Much thanks
> for
> your continued support
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> We need more information to help. How do you setup these computers? Are
>> they
>> in the same subnet? can you ping each other?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Vista Ultimate desktop that I would like to connect to from a
>> > laptop. I have two 50' ethernet cables and a Linksys router. How can I
>> > use
>> > these items in order to see the desktop through my XP Pro laptop.
>> > Normally I
>> > use logmein.com but the internet service has been problematic. The
>> > desktop
>> > is in a room about 80' from mine. I suspect it will involve remote
>> > desktop,
>> > establishing a network and some other settings changes. OR... is
>> > there a
>> > wasy to leave the router connected to the desktop and use the laptop's
>> > wireless to connect to the router, then on to the Vista desktop.
>> > Guidance
>> > sought

Maurice

Re: Hardwire remote desktop access through router?
The desktop can still be pinged [192.168.2.103] from the laptop
[192.168.2.101] but cannot navigate to the desktop in the MS internet
browser. "unable to display page" is the generated message. I've tried both
IP address and computer name. Before I play with the firewall it is my
understanding that port 80 should already be open for such communication but
is this necessary after enabling remote desktop on the vista machine? When
you say "check the firewall" They are both on but I suspect that might need
something more specific. Continued guidance appreciated.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Assume XP can ping Vista but not other way, I would check the firewall
> first.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Much thanks for the timely reply. The Vista desktop is 192.168.2.103.
> > The XP Pro laptop is 192.168.2.101. The laptop pinged the desktop with 0%
> > loss At present, both machines are ethernet cable connected to a Linksys
> > wireless router. The laptop has a wireless PCMCIA card and can connect to
> > the router and to the internet without the ethernet cable. I normally
> > connect to the desktop with a solution known as logmein.com. Works well
> > but
> > my Verizon internet goes down more often than I would like. Much thanks
> > for
> > your continued support
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> We need more information to help. How do you setup these computers? Are
> >> they
> >> in the same subnet? can you ping each other?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Sooner Al [MVP]

> The desktop can still be pinged [192.168.2.103] from the laptop
> [192.168.2.101] but cannot navigate to the desktop in the MS internet
> browser. "unable to display page" is the generated message. I've
> tried both
> IP address and computer name. Before I play with the firewall it is
> my
> understanding that port 80 should already be open for such
> communication but
> is this necessary after enabling remote desktop on the vista machine?
> When
> you say "check the firewall" They are both on but I suspect that
> might need
> something more specific. Continued guidance appreciated.

I sounds like your trying to use the web based method to access the
Vista desktop. You don't need to do that but if you do you need to
enable IIS in addition to enabling Remote Desktop. In that case you need
to have both TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389 [RDC] open on any
firewall the Vista machine is behind including the built-in Windows
Firewall.