Fails to detect LAN - Vista x64

churin

Fails to detect LAN - Vista x64
I have just installed Vista x64. My problem is that it fails to detect
local network. Other OS(XPx86 and VISTAx86) installed in the same box
does not have any such problem. I also tried Windows 2008 x64 and saw
the same problem so that the problem appears to have something to do
with x64 bit OS. Could anyone have suggestion for possible remedy?
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Fails to detect LAN - Vista x64
Do you have 64 bit drivers for your network card?
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"churin" <churin@new.postalias> wrote in message
>I have just installed Vista x64. My problem is that it fails to detect
>local network. Other OS(XPx86 and VISTAx86) installed in the same box does
>not have any such problem. I also tried Windows 2008 x64 and saw the same
>problem so that the problem appears to have something to do with x64 bit
>OS. Could anyone have suggestion for possible remedy?

churin

Re: Fails to detect LAN - Vista x64
Thanks for your response.
I got the latest driver from Broadcom website and replaced the driver
with this but no luck.
Prior to the above, the Device Manager indicated that the network
adapter was working normally(apparently the driver came in the Vista
setup DVD) but I did the above anyway just in case. The driver version
shown became newer so the above process must have gone OK.
The CPU usage was 50% with no activity except certain background
activity and the operation was very sluggish. I do not know if this has
anything to do with the above problem but I re-installed the OS. The
result was just the same. The Lan adapter is Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit
Ethernet BCM5705.

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Do you have 64 bit drivers for your network card?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Fails to detect LAN - Vista x64
Is the NIC set to the defaults..... assign TCP address automatically.....
and if so, is your Router using DHCP (and is it enabled?)?
--

> Thanks for your response.
> I got the latest driver from Broadcom website and replaced the driver with
> this but no luck.
> Prior to the above, the Device Manager indicated that the network adapter
> was working normally(apparently the driver came in the Vista setup DVD)
> but I did the above anyway just in case. The driver version shown became
> newer so the above process must have gone OK.
> The CPU usage was 50% with no activity except certain background activity
> and the operation was very sluggish. I do not know if this has anything to
> do with the above problem but I re-installed the OS. The result was just
> the same. The Lan adapter is Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet BCM5705.
>
> Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Do you have 64 bit drivers for your network card?

churin

Re: Fails to detect LAN - Vista x64
The DHCP is enabled. There are three PCs in this LAN and they are
working fine. I tried static IP but no cure. As stated in my original
post, the hardware system must not be anything defective. I tried a
different machine which used Realtek NIC(integrated) and saw no such
problem to run Vista x64 or XP x64. This appears to point to the driver
for Broadcom network adapter BCM5705(integrated) which is used in the
mobo. But I do not know how to substantiate.

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Is the NIC set to the defaults..... assign TCP address
> automatically..... and if so, is your Router using DHCP (and is it
> enabled?)?

churin

Re: Fails to detect LAN - Vista x64
I installed an external NIC adapter which uses Realtek chipset and the
LAN was detected. This proves that the integrated Broadcom NIC is the
culprit. It still does not tell whether the hardware problem or its
drivers problem. I think the driver is the likely culprit.