Invisible network drive (Linkstation) on home network

papaworx

Invisible network drive (Linkstation) on home network
I run a home network (p2p) with two desktop (Vista Home Premium) computers, a
wifi connected laptop, a network printer and the network drive (above). All
computers and other network devices have DHCP enabled. My router (D-Link DIR
615) handles the DHCP, but anchors the IP numbers to the MAC table entries of
the networked devices.

Now the problem: I can see the LinkStation hard drive on the Network
explorer of one of my computers, but not the other. I have tried to find out
what is different in the network setup between the two laptops. I have opened
up the software firewall, none of which has made a difference. I can ping the
Linkstation with both the IP number and the Netbios name (LMHosts), but I
can't see it in the explorer on one of the two machines. Any suggestions?
--
papaworx
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Invisible network drive (Linkstation) on home network
Hi
From the computer that does connect to the LinkStation, log the LinkStation
menu and make sure that there is no restriction on the connections, and or
on the IP that can mange the device.
I am not familiar with the 655 but if it does not have IP reservation set
the LinkStation with Static IP that is out of the DHCP range.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"papaworx" <papaworx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I run a home network (p2p) with two desktop (Vista Home Premium) computers,
> wifi connected laptop, a network printer and the network drive (above).
> All
> computers and other network devices have DHCP enabled. My router (D-Link
> DIR
> 615) handles the DHCP, but anchors the IP numbers to the MAC table entries
> of
> the networked devices.
>
> Now the problem: I can see the LinkStation hard drive on the Network
> explorer of one of my computers, but not the other. I have tried to find
> out
> what is different in the network setup between the two laptops. I have
> opened
> up the software firewall, none of which has made a difference. I can ping
> the
> Linkstation with both the IP number and the Netbios name (LMHosts), but I
> can't see it in the explorer on one of the two machines. Any suggestions?
> --
> papaworx

papaworx

Re: Invisible network drive (Linkstation) on home network
All IP addresses are well within the DHCP range. That can't be the reason.
--
papaworx

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> From the computer that does connect to the LinkStation, log the LinkStation
> menu and make sure that there is no restriction on the connections, and or
> on the IP that can mange the device.
> I am not familiar with the 655 but if it does not have IP reservation set
> the LinkStation with Static IP that is out of the DHCP range.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "papaworx" <papaworx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I run a home network (p2p) with two desktop (Vista Home Premium) computers,
> > wifi connected laptop, a network printer and the network drive (above).
> > All
> > computers and other network devices have DHCP enabled. My router (D-Link
> > DIR
> > 615) handles the DHCP, but anchors the IP numbers to the MAC table entries
> > of
> > the networked devices.
> >
> > Now the problem: I can see the LinkStation hard drive on the Network
> > explorer of one of my computers, but not the other. I have tried to find
> > out
> > what is different in the network setup between the two laptops. I have
> > opened
> > up the software firewall, none of which has made a difference. I can ping
> > the
> > Linkstation with both the IP number and the Netbios name (LMHosts), but I
> > can't see it in the explorer on one of the two machines. Any suggestions?
> > --
> > papaworx

papaworx

Re: Invisible network drive (Linkstation) on home network
Also, I can ping the Linkstation and map it as a network drive. If there were
any restrictions, this would probably be out.
--
papaworx

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> From the computer that does connect to the LinkStation, log the LinkStation
> menu and make sure that there is no restriction on the connections, and or
> on the IP that can mange the device.
> I am not familiar with the 655 but if it does not have IP reservation set
> the LinkStation with Static IP that is out of the DHCP range.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "papaworx" <papaworx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I run a home network (p2p) with two desktop (Vista Home Premium) computers,
> > wifi connected laptop, a network printer and the network drive (above).
> > All
> > computers and other network devices have DHCP enabled. My router (D-Link
> > DIR
> > 615) handles the DHCP, but anchors the IP numbers to the MAC table entries
> > of
> > the networked devices.
> >
> > Now the problem: I can see the LinkStation hard drive on the Network
> > explorer of one of my computers, but not the other. I have tried to find
> > out
> > what is different in the network setup between the two laptops. I have
> > opened
> > up the software firewall, none of which has made a difference. I can ping
> > the
> > Linkstation with both the IP number and the Netbios name (LMHosts), but I
> > can't see it in the explorer on one of the two machines. Any suggestions?
> > --
> > papaworx

Adam

Re: Invisible network drive (Linkstation) on home network
These symptoms sound just the same as my problem (poorly described
here: http://tinyurl.com/6ok9pr) so I'm interested in any suggested
fixes

Adam