Wireless broadband on Vista SP1 but XP client can't connect

Doug

Wireless broadband on Vista SP1 but XP client can't connect
I set up ICS on a Vista Home Premium desktop with Service Pack 1. Its
Internet is a Wireless broadband via USB. The NIC connects to a Switch. An
XP notebook's NIC also connects to the switch.
I set up ICS which worked for about 1 day. Now there is no Internet on the
notebook.

The wireless connection is still set for sharing (ICS). The notebook can
see, and access, files and the printer on the desktop quite OK so IP
addresses are OK.

There is a hotfix on the MS site, but it seems to be only for X64 not X86
and implies that the solution is already in SP1.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Doug
Gordon

Re: Wireless broadband on Vista SP1 but XP client can't connect
"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I set up ICS on a Vista Home Premium desktop with Service Pack 1. Its
> Internet is a Wireless broadband via USB. The NIC connects to a Switch.
> An
> XP notebook's NIC also connects to the switch.
> I set up ICS which worked for about 1 day. Now there is no Internet on
> the
> notebook.
>
> The wireless connection is still set for sharing (ICS). The notebook can
> see, and access, files and the printer on the desktop quite OK so IP
> addresses are OK.
>
> There is a hotfix on the MS site, but it seems to be only for X64 not X86
> and implies that the solution is already in SP1.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Easy. Ditch the switch and get a wireless router instead. Problem solved.

--
Asking a question?
Please tell us your OS, Service Pack level

Steve Winograd

Re: Wireless broadband on Vista SP1 but XP client can't connect
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:00:06 -0000, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I set up ICS on a Vista Home Premium desktop with Service Pack 1. Its
>> Internet is a Wireless broadband via USB. The NIC connects to a Switch.
>> An
>> XP notebook's NIC also connects to the switch.
>> I set up ICS which worked for about 1 day. Now there is no Internet on
>> the
>> notebook.
>>
>> The wireless connection is still set for sharing (ICS). The notebook can
>> see, and access, files and the printer on the desktop quite OK so IP
>> addresses are OK.
>>
>> There is a hotfix on the MS site, but it seems to be only for X64 not X86
>> and implies that the solution is already in SP1.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.

>Easy. Ditch the switch and get a wireless router instead. Problem solved.

I don't think that a wireless router will work with Doug's broadband
USB (not Ethernet) connection.

Here are some tests to help find the problem:

1. On the Vista desktop, open the Network Connections folder (Start >
Run > ncpa.cpl), right-click the LAN connection, and click Status >
Details. It should show these IPv4 values:

IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: none
DNS Server = none

2. On the XP notebook, open the Network Connections folder, right-
click the LAN connection, and click Status > Support > Details. It
should show:

IP Address: 192.168.0.x (1<x<255)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server = 192.168.0.1

3. If #1 and #2 are right, open a command prompt window on XP and
enter these lines. Each one should get four replies:

ping 192.168.0.1
ping 209.85.171.100
ping google.com

4. If #1-#3 are right, enter these addresses in Internet Explorer on
XP. They should both take you to the Google web page:

http://209.85.171.100
http://google.com
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Steve Winograd" <bc070521m@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I don't think that a wireless router will work with Doug's broadband
> USB (not Ethernet) connection.

The router will supplant whatever USB connection he's using.....and if he's
on cable, then there are many routers you can buy with a USB connection...
here's one:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132428

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Doug

Re: Wireless broadband on Vista SP1 but XP client can't connect
Thanks, but that isn't a solution, it's an expensive workaround.
--
Doug

> Thanks, but that isn't a solution, it's an expensive workaround.

£19 expensive? And it's a lot more than just a "workaround" - it will enable
you to connect the laptop to the internet without having the Vista machine
on to enable it to do so....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Wireless broadband on Vista SP1 but XP client can't connect
Hi
Well it is like someone that lives 10 miles from his work place there is No
public transportation and he/she complains that it is hard to walk every day
to work and back.
Buying some sort of mean for transportation is Not an expensive work around

Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)