using the CONNECT TO option under the START MENU does not work with VPN connection - SOMETIMES

Heith

using the CONNECT TO option under the START MENU does not work with VPN connection - SOMETIMES
Hi all,

It seems that about 50% of the time when I go to the CONNECT TO option under
the START MENU and attempt to connect to a VPN connection it is RED X'ed. I
then go to the NETWORK properties and select MANAGE NETWORK CONNECTION and I
never have an issue connecting.

Any ideas why this is happening.

Signed

Vista Frustration

Thanks

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: using the CONNECT TO option under the START MENU does not work with VPN connection - SOMETIMES
Hi It not not clear what is it that you want to accomplish.
Connect to is to establish a New capacity to connect or to switch if few
connections are available.
The MANAGE NETWORK CONNECTION shows the existing (already established)
connections.
You do not establish a new connection every time you want to connect to the
Internet you use the connections capacities that were already configured.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Heith" <piperace@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> It seems that about 50% of the time when I go to the CONNECT TO option
> under the START MENU and attempt to connect to a VPN connection it is RED
> X'ed. I then go to the NETWORK properties and select MANAGE NETWORK
> CONNECTION and I never have an issue connecting.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening.
>
> Signed
>
> Vista Frustration
>
> Thanks

Heith

Re: using the CONNECT TO option under the START MENU does not work with VPN connection - SOMETIMES
Let me be more CLEAR... There are two places where a user can connect to a
preestablished VPN connection.

1) Go to the start menu, select "connect to network", Then select your VPN
in the list that comes up.

2) Right click on Network Connection and go to properties then select
"Manage Network" on the right. Then right click the VPN connector that was
previously created and select "connect"

Both meathods will achieve that same goal. "Connecting you to your
preestablished VPN connection.

Problem: If I use option 1 about 50% of the time my VPN connection has a
RED X so I can not select CONNNECT.

This NEVER happens under option 2

Hope this is more clear. Thanks for the input.

Signed Vista Frustrated