Mapped Network Drives not connecting over VPN

Don Devenney

Mapped Network Drives not connecting over VPN
I have a rather perplexing issue involving a Vista machine trying to map a
network drive over a VPN. First, the environment:

I have a W2K3 R2 domain - servers fully patched, etc, and all XP SP3
clients. We use Dfs to replicate files between our branch offices and have
been doing so for almost 2 years. It's stable and working well. I have a few
road warriors who connect back into the network via a PPTP VPN (yes, I
know...). After connecting, they run a simple batch file containing Net Use
commands to connect them to their network drives. This usually works.

The issue concerns a user - a former employee, now a contractor - who is
trying to connect into our network and map drives. He's using a Vista
Business machine that is a domain member of the org. he's now working for.
The Net Use command will complete, however he won't be able to "drill down"
in the directory he's mapped to. He gets an access denied error if he tries
to go lower than: \\serverIP\namespace\sharename. (note that I have to use
\\ServerIP as I haven't been able to get name resolution for the domain name
to work over the VPN connection).

However, if he tries to connect to:
\\ServerIP\Data\Sharename, where "Data" is the name of the actual directory
on the server being represented by Dfs, then he can connect and drill down
through his mapped drives.

My questions are: a) Any thoughts as to why he can't drill down once he
gets a drive mapped? He has all the required permissions.
b) Is it safe to let him work in the actual data directory that Dfs is
representing?

Sorry for the long-winded post but I wanted to paint as clear a picture as
possible.

Thanks

Don
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Mapped Network Drives not connecting over VPN
Using IP when connecting VPN is OK and many people do that. If you do want
to use the name, you may want to setup WINS.

is serverIP is DFS server IP or DC? Posting the result of net view
\\serverIp here may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Don Devenney" <DonDevenney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a rather perplexing issue involving a Vista machine trying to map a
> network drive over a VPN. First, the environment:
>
> I have a W2K3 R2 domain - servers fully patched, etc, and all XP SP3
> clients. We use Dfs to replicate files between our branch offices and
> have
> been doing so for almost 2 years. It's stable and working well. I have a
> few
> road warriors who connect back into the network via a PPTP VPN (yes, I
> know...). After connecting, they run a simple batch file containing Net
> Use
> commands to connect them to their network drives. This usually works.
>
> The issue concerns a user - a former employee, now a contractor - who is
> trying to connect into our network and map drives. He's using a Vista
> Business machine that is a domain member of the org. he's now working for.
> The Net Use command will complete, however he won't be able to "drill
> down"
> in the directory he's mapped to. He gets an access denied error if he
> tries
> to go lower than: \\serverIP\namespace\sharename. (note that I have to
> use
> \\ServerIP as I haven't been able to get name resolution for the domain
> name
> to work over the VPN connection).
>
> However, if he tries to connect to:
> \\ServerIP\Data\Sharename, where "Data" is the name of the actual
> directory
> on the server being represented by Dfs, then he can connect and drill down
> through his mapped drives.
>
> My questions are: a) Any thoughts as to why he can't drill down once he
> gets a drive mapped? He has all the required permissions.
> b) Is it safe to let him work in the actual data directory that Dfs is
> representing?
>
> Sorry for the long-winded post but I wanted to paint as clear a picture as
> possible.
>
> Thanks
>
> Don

Don Devenney

Re: Mapped Network Drives not connecting over VPN
Here's the result of the net view

C:\Windows\system32>net view \\192.168.2.3
Shared resources at \\192.168.2.3

Share name Type Used as Comment

Data Disk
Documents Disk
NETLOGON Disk Logon server share
PacificSport Disk
SYSVOL Disk Logon server share
The command completed successfully

C:\Windows\system32>_

The server IP in question is the DFS server, which is also a DC

"PacificSport" is the virtual Dfs share. Data is the share containing the
data represented by PacificSport.

Thanks,

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Using IP when connecting VPN is OK and many people do that. If you do want
> to use the name, you may want to setup WINS.
>
> is serverIP is DFS server IP or DC? Posting the result of net view
> \\serverIp here may help.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Don Devenney" <DonDevenney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a rather perplexing issue involving a Vista machine trying to map a
> > network drive over a VPN. First, the environment:
> >
> > I have a W2K3 R2 domain - servers fully patched, etc, and all XP SP3
> > clients. We use Dfs to replicate files between our branch offices and
> > have
> > been doing so for almost 2 years. It's stable and working well. I have a
> > few
> > road warriors who connect back into the network via a PPTP VPN (yes, I
> > know...). After connecting, they run a simple batch file containing Net
> > Use
> > commands to connect them to their network drives. This usually works.
> >
> > The issue concerns a user - a former employee, now a contractor - who is
> > trying to connect into our network and map drives. He's using a Vista
> > Business machine that is a domain member of the org. he's now working for.
> > The Net Use command will complete, however he won't be able to "drill
> > down"
> > in the directory he's mapped to. He gets an access denied error if he
> > tries
> > to go lower than: \\serverIP\namespace\sharename. (note that I have to
> > use
> > \\ServerIP as I haven't been able to get name resolution for the domain
> > name
> > to work over the VPN connection).
> >
> > However, if he tries to connect to:
> > \\ServerIP\Data\Sharename, where "Data" is the name of the actual
> > directory
> > on the server being represented by Dfs, then he can connect and drill down
> > through his mapped drives.
> >
> > My questions are: a) Any thoughts as to why he can't drill down once he
> > gets a drive mapped? He has all the required permissions.
> > b) Is it safe to let him work in the actual data directory that Dfs is
> > representing?
> >
> > Sorry for the long-winded post but I wanted to paint as clear a picture as
> > possible.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Don

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Mapped Network Drives not connecting over VPN
Do you see the sharename and namespace in net share? Or I assume the Data is
namespace and that is why \\ServerIP\Data\Sharename works.

--
> [...]
>> > use
>> > \\ServerIP as I haven't been able to get name resolution for the domain
>> > name
>> > to work over the VPN connection).
>> >
>> > However, if he tries to connect to:
>> > \\ServerIP\Data\Sharename, where "Data" is the name of the actual
>> > directory
>> > on the server being represented by Dfs, then he can connect and drill
>> > down
>> > through his mapped drives.
>> >
>> > My questions are: a) Any thoughts as to why he can't drill down once
>> > he
>> > gets a drive mapped? He has all the required permissions.
>> > b) Is it safe to let him work in the actual data directory that Dfs is
>> > representing?
>> >
>> > Sorry for the long-winded post but I wanted to paint as clear a picture

Don Devenney

Re: Mapped Network Drives not connecting over VPN
Hi Bob,

\\ServerIP\Data is the actual share. "PacificSport" is the virtual Dfs
share. So to re-cap,

\\serverIP\Data\DesiredFolder works
\\serverIP\PacificSport\DesiredFolder generates either a Network path cannot
be found or access denied error. But only on this Vista machine, which is
why I'm puzzled.

Don

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do you see the sharename and namespace in net share? Or I assume the Data is
> namespace and that is why \\ServerIP\Data\Sharename works.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Don Devenney" <DonDevenney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Here's the result of the net view
> >
> > C:\Windows\system32>net view \\192.168.2.3
> > Shared resources at \\192.168.2.3
> >

> > Share name Type Used as Comment
> >
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Data Disk
> > Documents Disk
> > NETLOGON Disk Logon server
> > share
> > PacificSport Disk
> > SYSVOL Disk Logon server
> > share
> > The command completed successfully
> >
> > C:\Windows\system32>_
> >
> > The server IP in question is the DFS server, which is also a DC
> >
> > "PacificSport" is the virtual Dfs share. Data is the share containing the
> > data represented by PacificSport.
> >
> > Thanks,

> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Using IP when connecting VPN is OK and many people do that. If you do
> >> want
> >> to use the name, you may want to setup WINS.
> >>
> >> is serverIP is DFS server IP or DC? Posting the result of net view
> >> \\serverIp here may help.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Cyno

Re: Mapped Network Drives not connecting over VPN

I know this one is old, but the answer is pretty simple. The problem is
name resolution.

The answer is to make sure the DNS suffix search has the DNS domains
for the AD DCs, the domain of the DFS root, and the domain of the share
server.

--
Cyno
Cyno's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90767.htm