Unable to Remote - XP Pro x86 > Vista Ult x64

Romantix

Unable to Remote - XP Pro x86 > Vista Ult x64

Ok, ive been doing some research through the forums to workout a
resolution to this issue. Aswell as visited some 3rd party technical
troubleshooting guides.

No Success.

I can remote locally fine. mstsc.exe > \\'10.1.1.3' (file://\\10.1.1.3)

Brings up terminal services connection

Login > fine

As soon as i connect online using ip address. This does not want to
work. If you require a specific error prompt ill be more than happy to
forward that to u tommorow. I do believe its a standard 'invalid'
prompt.

I want to be able to check status of some applications whilst im at
work so you could consider this a necessity, so i appreciate any
feedback i get in regards to this.

First day ive come across x64 dedicated forum so ill be round always
checking the threads out, enjoy your day

Thanks in advance,

--
Romantix
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unable to Remote - XP Pro x86 > Vista Ult x64
Can you telnet port 3389?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Romantix" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Ok, ive been doing some research through the forums to workout a
> resolution to this issue. Aswell as visited some 3rd party technical
> troubleshooting guides.
>
> No Success.
>
> I can remote locally fine. mstsc.exe > \\'10.1.1.3' (file://\\10.1.1.3)
>
> Brings up terminal services connection
>
> Login > fine
>
> As soon as i connect online using ip address. This does not want to
> work. If you require a specific error prompt ill be more than happy to
> forward that to u tommorow. I do believe its a standard 'invalid'
> prompt.
>
> I want to be able to check status of some applications whilst im at
> work so you could consider this a necessity, so i appreciate any
> feedback i get in regards to this.
>
> First day ive come across x64 dedicated forum so ill be round always
> checking the threads out, enjoy your day
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> --
> Romantix

Charlie Tame

Romantix wrote:
> Ok, ive been doing some research through the forums to workout a
> resolution to this issue. Aswell as visited some 3rd party technical
> troubleshooting guides.
>
> No Success.
>
> I can remote locally fine. mstsc.exe > \\'10.1.1.3' (file://\\10.1.1.3)
>
> Brings up terminal services connection
>
> Login > fine
>
> As soon as i connect online using ip address. This does not want to
> work. If you require a specific error prompt ill be more than happy to
> forward that to u tommorow. I do believe its a standard 'invalid'
> prompt.
>
> I want to be able to check status of some applications whilst im at
> work so you could consider this a necessity, so i appreciate any
> feedback i get in regards to this.
>
> First day ive come across x64 dedicated forum so ill be round always
> checking the threads out, enjoy your day
>
> Thanks in advance,

Did you forward port 3389 on the router (if any) to the IP of the target
machine? Is the port open in the firewall? Is remote access permitted in
your settings? THe account must have a password on the Vista end - null
passwords don;t work.
Romantix

Re: Unable to Remote - XP Pro x86 > Vista Ult x64

That i havnt done, so i have to port forward 3389 to my ip? I have a
feeling that will solve all my problems, i was speaking with technical
support from microsoft and they suggested the same thing ill get back to
you wether i resolve this issue or not, thanks for the feedback champ

--
Romantix

Jim R

Re: Unable to Remote - XP Pro x86 > Vista Ult x64

In addition to Port 3389 being forwarded to your computer's local IP,
you need to use the external IP obtained by the router to log on to your
machine remotely. You can get this external IP a number of ways, but
while you are in the router's configuration pages, it should show on the
"status" page.

--
Jim R
Romantix

Re: Unable to Remote - XP Pro x86 > Vista Ult x64

Port forward 3389 - Done
Added Login Pw - Done
Remote Settings - Done..

Still same msg

maybe someone kind enough to guide on msn?

--
Romantix

-Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB 32MB SATA II-
*Fuq yeah! No SATA Cable!! WOoo!*
Jim R

Romantix;902178 Wrote:
> Port forward 3389 - Done
> Added Login Pw - Done
> Remote Settings - Done..
>
> Still same msg
>
> maybe someone kind enough to guide on msn?

Sure. I'll give it a go. I'm in Calgary, AB, CANADA, so our time zones
will be totally out of wack. It's 11:00AM Thursday here and Western
Australia shows 3:00AM Friday.

When do you want to do this?

Jim

--
Jim R
Romantix

Re: Unable to Remote - XP Pro x86 > Vista Ult x64

Wow, they are out of whack! I guess anytime after 8pm EST should be
fine. Ill add you to msn and we'll take it as it comes, appreciate the
assistance mate

Romantix wrote:
> Wow, they are out of whack! I guess anytime after 8pm EST should be
> fine. Ill add you to msn and we'll take it as it comes, appreciate the
> assistance mate

Actually using RDP causes some disruption to running tasks sometimes...
you could try TightVNC which is a free system and lets you observe and
use the remote desktop just as it is...

Romantix

Re: Unable to Remote - XP Pro x86 > Vista Ult x64

i dont want to go 3rd party :'(