Only half of available bandwidth can be used ??

Jerry

Only half of available bandwidth can be used ??
I have a 10 Mbps/380 kbps ADSL line with two computers (one Vista and one
XP) connected directly to the router and two more (again one Vista and one
XP) connected through the wireless access point on the same router.

I tested each of the computers individually, with other three turned off,
and was able to establish he following: Vista computers achieve 8500/260
kbps, while XP computers get only about 4300/260 kbps. I tried switching
cables and router connections, I also tried tweaking the Max MTU and RWIN
values on the XP machines, but the result was still the same.

Anyone knows why is this? Please?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Only half of available bandwidth can be used ??
Hi
This is not a common known issue. Depending on how your Wireless works it
might be less than the wire, but wired Vista and wired XP should yield about
800 to 900KB/sec. download. (B=Byte b=bit).
Which values did you use in the TCP/IP tweaking?
Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a 10 Mbps/380 kbps ADSL line with two computers (one Vista and one
>XP) connected directly to the router and two more (again one Vista and one
>XP) connected through the wireless access point on the same router.
>
> I tested each of the computers individually, with other three turned off,
> and was able to establish he following: Vista computers achieve 8500/260
> kbps, while XP computers get only about 4300/260 kbps. I tried switching
> cables and router connections, I also tried tweaking the Max MTU and RWIN
> values on the XP machines, but the result was still the same.
>
> Anyone knows why is this? Please?

Jerry

Re: Only half of available bandwidth can be used ??
Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
I have tried all sorts of combinations, following advice available at
dslreports.com and other places.
Even did a total reset of TCP settings (netsh int ip reset).
No avail.