Connecting via RDP to my XP Pro machine from Vista Home Premium

Erich93063

Connecting via RDP to my XP Pro machine from Vista Home Premium
I just purchased a new laptop and it came with Vista Home Premium. One
of the things I need to do is connect to my XP Pro machine I have at
home. I have always been able to connect to my XP Pro machine from
anywhere with no problem. I have had this setup for years and access
my home computer all the time from work or from friends houses via IP
Address. I actually use a dynamic IP address domain service which
gives me an easy to remember domain name in case my dynamic IP
changes. ANYWAY, this works and always has worked. But now I am trying
to access it via my new Vista laptop using the same method I always
use and it wont connect via the IP address or domain name. When I am
connected wirelessly to my home network, I can get in via RDP using my
XP Pro computers name but NOT via IP.

????
Erich93063

Re: Connecting via RDP to my XP Pro machine from Vista Home Premium
OK so here's the weird thing. I went to work today and just for the
heck of it tried it using my domain name to connect to my home XP Pro
machine knowing it wasn't going to work as I had tried 50 times the
previous night and guess what? IT WORKED. I didnt do anything
different. I guess maybe if Vista knows you are in your home network
it forces you to use the computer name and wont let you use an IP, but
since i was at work and outside my home network it worked using the
IP. ???? No idea on this one but bottom line its working now.

"Erich93063" <erich93063@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK so here's the weird thing. I went to work today and just for the
> heck of it tried it using my domain name to connect to my home XP Pro
> machine knowing it wasn't going to work as I had tried 50 times the
> previous night and guess what? IT WORKED. I didnt do anything
> different. I guess maybe if Vista knows you are in your home network
> it forces you to use the computer name and wont let you use an IP, but
> since i was at work and outside my home network it worked using the
> IP. ???? No idea on this one but bottom line its working now.

IP addresses inside your home network are usually translated to other IP
addresses when they go outside your home. The interface between the
two may have problems with IP addresses that first go out, but are
translated to IP addresses that immediately come back in.