Getting Terminal Services to work

chas

Getting Terminal Services to work
I'm integrating my new Vista 64 bit computer into my home network with
XP pro computers on it. All the computers are on a workgroup "Fred".
At first my Vista computer could see the XP computers. But it did not
see the XP computers as being in the same workgroup. And remote desktop
from the Vista to the XP computers did not work by name only by IP
address. If I pinged the XP computers from the Vista and the IP
addresses were wrong. All the computers are behind my router and are in
the 192.168.1.xx subnet. From the XP computers pings were right and the
ping looked like this
ctravel [192.168.1.100]
from Vista it looked like this
ctravel.san.rr.com [207.69.131.9]
A helpful fellow here suggested getting rid of the DNS suffix by put a
period in the "Append these DNS suffixes". Things got really strange
then. Vista stopped seeing the XP computers at all. If it try browsing
from Remote Desktop connection then I get the message
The FRED domain/workgroup does not contain any Terminal servers.
The thing that really seems strange to me is this new behavior
persists even if I take the period out of the field. If I try pinging
CTRAVEL without the period the result looks just the same as it did
before. If I ping with the period in I get
C:\Users\charles>ping ctavel
Ping request could not find host ctavel. Please check the name and try
again.
And (to me) even stranger is now the XP machines talking to each other
give me the
The FRED domain/workgroup does not contain any Terminal servers.
When browsing to Fred from Remote Desktop
Since the period on the Vista machine although they worked fine before.
How do I get a terminal services into FRED again? Should I do it from
the Vista machine or the XP machines or all machines? Why did it
disappear?
Any ideas welcome thanks ,
Chas
chas

Re: Getting Terminal Services to work
I got the ping to work. I added 192.168.1.1 to DNS server address in
order of use and now pinging CTRAVEL (with the period in the DNS
suffixes) works fine. But I am still getting
The FRED domain/workgroup does not contain any Terminal servers.
On Vista machine although it went away on the XP machines. The XP
machines see each other through Remote Desktop and view workgroup
computers. But they can see the Vista machine through workgroup
computers but not when browsing through Remote Desktop. The Vista
machine on the other hand can only see itself on the workgroup.
thanks,
chas
chas wrote:
> I'm integrating my new Vista 64 bit computer into my home network with
> XP pro computers on it. All the computers are on a workgroup "Fred". At
> first my Vista computer could see the XP computers. But it did not see
> the XP computers as being in the same workgroup. And remote desktop
> from the Vista to the XP computers did not work by name only by IP
> address. If I pinged the XP computers from the Vista and the IP
> addresses were wrong. All the computers are behind my router and are in
> the 192.168.1.xx subnet. From the XP computers pings were right and the
> ping looked like this
> ctravel [192.168.1.100]
> from Vista it looked like this
> ctravel.san.rr.com [207.69.131.9]
> A helpful fellow here suggested getting rid of the DNS suffix by put a
> period in the "Append these DNS suffixes". Things got really strange
> then. Vista stopped seeing the XP computers at all. If it try browsing
> from Remote Desktop connection then I get the message
> The FRED domain/workgroup does not contain any Terminal servers.
> The thing that really seems strange to me is this new behavior persists
> even if I take the period out of the field. If I try pinging CTRAVEL
> without the period the result looks just the same as it did before. If I
> ping with the period in I get
> C:\Users\charles>ping ctavel
> Ping request could not find host ctavel. Please check the name and try
> again.
> And (to me) even stranger is now the XP machines talking to each other
> give me the
> The FRED domain/workgroup does not contain any Terminal servers.
> When browsing to Fred from Remote Desktop
> Since the period on the Vista machine although they worked fine before.
> How do I get a terminal services into FRED again? Should I do it from
> the Vista machine or the XP machines or all machines? Why did it
> disappear?
> Any ideas welcome thanks ,
> Chas

Kerry Brown

Re: Getting Terminal Services to work
I know you said workgroup but the problem sounds like an Active Directory
problem. Are you using Active Directory? If you are you have a DNS problem.
In an AD domain all of the workstations need to be using an AD DNS server
and no other DNS servers. It sounds like you are using your ISP DNS servers
or your router. This will allow XP to sort of work with Active Directory but
Vista will fail miserably. If you have an AD domain please post the results
of IPCONFIG /all from a domain controller and a workstation.

If you're not using AD can you describe the network in a little more detail?
What supplies DHCP services? What OS are the Terminal Servers running? Do
you have a WINS server? Do you have a DNS server?

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"chas" <no@emailreply.please> wrote in message
news:PJydnSaXmNKaGXvVnZ2dnUVZ_s_inZ2d@earthlink.co m...
> I'm integrating my new Vista 64 bit computer into my home network with XP
> pro computers on it. All the computers are on a workgroup "Fred". At
> first my Vista computer could see the XP computers. But it did not see
> the XP computers as being in the same workgroup. And remote desktop from
> the Vista to the XP computers did not work by name only by IP address. If
> I pinged the XP computers from the Vista and the IP addresses were wrong.
> All the computers are behind my router and are in the 192.168.1.xx subnet.
> From the XP computers pings were right and the ping looked like this
> ctravel [192.168.1.100]
> from Vista it looked like this
> ctravel.san.rr.com [207.69.131.9]
> A helpful fellow here suggested getting rid of the DNS suffix by put a
> period in the "Append these DNS suffixes". Things got really strange
> then. Vista stopped seeing the XP computers at all. If it try browsing
> from Remote Desktop connection then I get the message
> The FRED domain/workgroup does not contain any Terminal servers.
> The thing that really seems strange to me is this new behavior persists
> even if I take the period out of the field. If I try pinging CTRAVEL
> without the period the result looks just the same as it did before. If I
> ping with the period in I get
> C:\Users\charles>ping ctavel
> Ping request could not find host ctavel. Please check the name and try
> again.
> And (to me) even stranger is now the XP machines talking to each other
> give me the
> The FRED domain/workgroup does not contain any Terminal servers.
> When browsing to Fred from Remote Desktop
> Since the period on the Vista machine although they worked fine before.
> How do I get a terminal services into FRED again? Should I do it from the
> Vista machine or the XP machines or all machines? Why did it disappear?
> Any ideas welcome thanks ,
> Chas

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Getting Terminal Services to work
Sound like name resolution issue. posting the results of ipconfig /all on
both computers may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Kerry Brown wrote:
> I know you said workgroup but the problem sounds like an Active
> Directory problem. Are you using Active Directory? If you are you have a
> DNS problem. In an AD domain all of the workstations need to be using an
> AD DNS server and no other DNS servers. It sounds like you are using
> your ISP DNS servers or your router. This will allow XP to sort of work
> with Active Directory but Vista will fail miserably. If you have an AD
> domain please post the results of IPCONFIG /all from a domain controller
> and a workstation.
>
> If you're not using AD can you describe the network in a little more
> detail? What supplies DHCP services? What OS are the Terminal Servers
> running? Do you have a WINS server? Do you have a DNS server?

How can I tell if I am using Active Directory?
here is ipconfig /all from the Vista
C:\Users\charles>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : charles-VistaPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : .

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : .
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E
Gigabit Ether
net Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-E2-01-CA-ED
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::4178:283a:ad6d:6bd2%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 02, 2008
7:59:23 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 05, 2008 2:36:09 AM
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

I will have to do some investigation for your other questions.
Thanks,
Chas
Kerry Brown

Re: Getting Terminal Services to work
The results of ipconfig look OK if you are in a workgroup rather than a
domain. After reading your posts again I'm not sure what you are trying to
do. Can you please try to describe the situation again? I think I may have
misunderstood what you are trying to do.