Simple Vista-XP network problem

bobc

Simple Vista-XP network problem

This is about as simple a network problem as you can imagine.

I just bought a new Compaq with Vista home, and I'd like to connect
this new machine to my old Compaq, which has Windows XP (svc pack 2).

I have a crossover Ethernet cable connecting the two PCs, and have run
the configuration wizards on both machines. On the old XP PC, I am
seeing the name of the new PC in the workgroups window (along with the
old PC). However, I am not seeing the old PC in the network on the new
PC (running Vista). I do not have any third party firewalls running on
either machine .......in fact the there is no firewall running on the
old PC.

The new PC was successfully connected to the internet (Westell modem)
and a brothers printer.

What am I missing ?? ..........do you need anymore info.......to help
me solve this .........

Bob

--
bobc
Mick Murphy

RE: Simple Vista-XP network problem
A bit of info about Networking XP and Vista

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mad Mike

"bobc" wrote:

> This is about as simple a network problem as you can imagine.
>
> I just bought a new Compaq with Vista home, and I'd like to connect
> this new machine to my old Compaq, which has Windows XP (svc pack 2).
>
> I have a crossover Ethernet cable connecting the two PCs, and have run
> the configuration wizards on both machines. On the old XP PC, I am
> seeing the name of the new PC in the workgroups window (along with the
> old PC). However, I am not seeing the old PC in the network on the new
> PC (running Vista). I do not have any third party firewalls running on
> either machine .......in fact the there is no firewall running on the
> old PC.
>
> The new PC was successfully connected to the internet (Westell modem)
> and a brothers printer.
>
> What am I missing ?? ..........do you need anymore info.......to help
> me solve this .........
>
> Bob
>

> --
> bobc

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Simple Vista-XP network problem
Hi
It is Not clear if you have the hardware that is needed to connect both to
the Internet and the two computers in the same time.
As a long shoot I would guess that the computer's TCP/IP is set to Auto
Obtain IP, since you do not have a DHCP server you need to configure static
IPs.
http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"bobc" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> This is about as simple a network problem as you can imagine.
>
> I just bought a new Compaq with Vista home, and I'd like to connect
> this new machine to my old Compaq, which has Windows XP (svc pack 2).
>
> I have a crossover Ethernet cable connecting the two PCs, and have run
> the configuration wizards on both machines. On the old XP PC, I am
> seeing the name of the new PC in the workgroups window (along with the
> old PC). However, I am not seeing the old PC in the network on the new
> PC (running Vista). I do not have any third party firewalls running on
> either machine .......in fact the there is no firewall running on the
> old PC.
>
> The new PC was successfully connected to the internet (Westell modem)
> and a brothers printer.
>
> What am I missing ?? ..........do you need anymore info.......to help
> me solve this .........
>
> Bob
>

> --
> bobc

bobc

Re: Simple Vista-XP network problem

Jack .......thanx for your response .....as it turns out, I had a
firewall problem ........first with Norton ........and then with McAfee.

Once I turned their firewalls off . ....and turned on the Windows
firewall .........all was well.

Bob

--
bobc
Timothy Daniels

Re: Simple Vista-XP network problem
But now viruses can "call home" and send email.

*TimDaniels*