Mapping to a DFS Root

MtDewMike

Mapping to a DFS Root
I've read several articles about people having issues mapping network drives
to DFS shares. My case is a little different... I think.

We just recently joined a laptop w/Vista Business to our domain. We have a
login script that runs, which maps 3 drives - F, S and T for all users. When
logging into the domain from the laptop, S and T map fine, but the F drive
does not map. We can map it manually, but it will not map on its own via the
login script.

The login script looks something like this:

NET USE F: \\FQN.domain\root /PERSISTENT:NO
NET USE S: \\FQN.domain\root\folder1 /PERSISTENT:NO
NET USE T: \\FQN.domain\root\folder2\folder3 /PERSISTENT:NO

I don't receive any errors. Any ideas?

--
--Mike
+Bob+

Re: Mapping to a DFS Root
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:52:09 -0700, MtDewMike
<MtDewMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've read several articles about people having issues mapping network drives
>to DFS shares. My case is a little different... I think.
>
>We just recently joined a laptop w/Vista Business to our domain. We have a
>login script that runs, which maps 3 drives - F, S and T for all users. When
>logging into the domain from the laptop, S and T map fine, but the F drive
>does not map. We can map it manually, but it will not map on its own via the
>login script.
>
>The login script looks something like this:
>
>NET USE F: \\FQN.domain\root /PERSISTENT:NO
>NET USE S: \\FQN.domain\root\folder1 /PERSISTENT:NO
>NET USE T: \\FQN.domain\root\folder2\folder3 /PERSISTENT:NO
>
>I don't receive any errors. Any ideas?

Change the order of the drive hookup and see if it's just that the
first one that always times out. Vista is very slow to start the
network and hook to the router. If it's not fully running, the drive
won't connect.

I have similar problems with my login/hookup. I've taken to having a
desktop icon to run when I have issues.

There are a couple programs around that you can use run a program at
startup on a delay so that the network has time to start. I don't
recall the names off the top of my head. If that's the issue, you
should repost in the .general group with a subject like "run startup
program with a delay?" and someone should chime in.
MtDewMike

Re: Mapping to a DFS Root

--
--Mike

"+Bob+" wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:52:09 -0700, MtDewMike
> <MtDewMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I've read several articles about people having issues mapping network drives
> >to DFS shares. My case is a little different... I think.
> >
> >We just recently joined a laptop w/Vista Business to our domain. We have a
> >login script that runs, which maps 3 drives - F, S and T for all users. When
> >logging into the domain from the laptop, S and T map fine, but the F drive
> >does not map. We can map it manually, but it will not map on its own via the
> >login script.
> >
> >The login script looks something like this:
> >
> >NET USE F: \\FQN.domain\root /PERSISTENT:NO
> >NET USE S: \\FQN.domain\root\folder1 /PERSISTENT:NO
> >NET USE T: \\FQN.domain\root\folder2\folder3 /PERSISTENT:NO
> >
> >I don't receive any errors. Any ideas?

> Change the order of the drive hookup and see if it's just that the
> first one that always times out. Vista is very slow to start the
> network and hook to the router. If it's not fully running, the drive
> won't connect.
>
> I have similar problems with my login/hookup. I've taken to having a
> desktop icon to run when I have issues.
>
> There are a couple programs around that you can use run a program at
> startup on a delay so that the network has time to start. I don't
> recall the names off the top of my head. If that's the issue, you
> should repost in the .general group with a subject like "run startup
> program with a delay?" and someone should chime in.

I have fixed this issue.

On the TechNet forums, someone had suggested to manually run the line to see
if I could map to the DFS root. So, I copied the line from my login script to
manually execute it. Here's what I copied:

NET USE F: \\FQN.domain\root\ /PERSISTENT:NO

I got a System error 67 - The network name cannot can be found.

I then looked at it again, and saw the \ at the end of the path. So, I
removed it from our domain login script, rebooted the laptop, logged in and
bang - it worked. This whole time it was one simple \ that was throwing it
off.