Front page change index page?

Amanda

Front page change index page?
Hi, I have a web page that was set up for me, and now I am using Front Page
to edit it. The one thing I am having a problem with:
When you type in my web address, the page that opens up (it's named
index.htm in the front page) has a link on it to a second page (named
residential.htm in front page) but I really want it to be the other way
around. I want the " residential" page to be the first one it goes to, then a
link to the other.
Is there an easy way to fix this? I know how to create a link, that's no
problem. But how to change which page comes first?
Using Front Page 2003 SP3
My web address is www.sewfinecustomsewing.com
Thanks
--
Amanda B
DDW

Re: Front page change index page?
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:04:16 -0700, Amanda
<Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, I have a web page that was set up for me, and now I am using Front Page
>to edit it. The one thing I am having a problem with:
>When you type in my web address, the page that opens up (it's named
>index.htm in the front page) has a link on it to a second page (named
>residential.htm in front page) but I really want it to be the other way
>around. I want the " residential" page to be the first one it goes to, then a
>link to the other.
>Is there an easy way to fix this? I know how to create a link, that's no
>problem. But how to change which page comes first?
>Using Front Page 2003 SP3

Rename the files. Make "index.htm" be something like "page2.htm" and
then rename "residential.htm" to "index.htm".

Or do the same thing in FP by doing "Save As" to change the nam of the
files.

Make sure to update your links.

DDW
No email please

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:20:17 -0500, DDW <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net>
wrote:

>Rename the files. Make "index.htm" be something like "page2.htm" and
>then rename "residential.htm" to "index.htm".
>
>Or do the same thing in FP by doing "Save As" to change the nam of the
>files.
>
>Make sure to update your links.

If you do the "Save As" in FP, it will update any links for you.

Double check them though to make sure the pages flow the way you want.

DDW
No email please
+Bob+

Re: Front page change index page?
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:25:55 -0500, DDW <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net>
wrote:

>If you do the "Save As" in FP, it will update any links for you.

Rename in Front Page is a better choice. Answer "Yes" to the question
about updating any links. Do not rename outside of Front Page.

FYI - the Front Page newsgroup is a better place for these questions.

Amanda

Re: Front page change index page?
OK, thanks, I think this worked. The program fixed the links when I changed
the page 2 to the index page, but I did have to fix the links on the original
index page. Now however when I go to my index page, if I choose edit with
front page it tells me no such page exists, and I have to manually choose
which page to edit from the explorer pane. It didn't do this before, it just
went ahead to edit whatever page I was viewing. Hopefully this is not a
problem
Thaks for the advice.
Amanda B

"DDW" wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:04:16 -0700, Amanda
> <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi, I have a web page that was set up for me, and now I am using Front Page
> >to edit it. The one thing I am having a problem with:
> >When you type in my web address, the page that opens up (it's named
> >index.htm in the front page) has a link on it to a second page (named
> >residential.htm in front page) but I really want it to be the other way
> >around. I want the " residential" page to be the first one it goes to, then a
> >link to the other.
> >Is there an easy way to fix this? I know how to create a link, that's no
> >problem. But how to change which page comes first?
> >Using Front Page 2003 SP3

> Rename the files. Make "index.htm" be something like "page2.htm" and
> then rename "residential.htm" to "index.htm".
>
> Or do the same thing in FP by doing "Save As" to change the nam of the
> files.
>
> Make sure to update your links.
>
> DDW
> No email please

Amanda

Re: Front page change index page?
Thanls Bob, I used this method and it did fix all the links for the page 2
that I re-named to index. I just had to fix the one link on the origianl
index page that had pointed to the page 2 originally.
I couldn't find the Front Page newsgroup, could you direct me to it?
Thank for your response.
Amanda B

"+Bob+" wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:25:55 -0500, DDW <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >If you do the "Save As" in FP, it will update any links for you.

> Rename in Front Page is a better choice. Answer "Yes" to the question
> about updating any links. Do not rename outside of Front Page.
>
> FYI - the Front Page newsgroup is a better place for these questions.

+Bob+

Re: Front page change index page?
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 05:26:01 -0700, Amanda
<Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>OK, thanks, I think this worked. The program fixed the links when I changed
>the page 2 to the index page, but I did have to fix the links on the original
>index page. Now however when I go to my index page, if I choose edit with
>front page it tells me no such page exists, and I have to manually choose
>which page to edit from the explorer pane. It didn't do this before, it just
>went ahead to edit whatever page I was viewing. Hopefully this is not a
>problem
>Thaks for the advice.

I've seen the "edit page" feature work and not work in various
versions of FP, MSIE, and Windows. It does not seem to have any impact
anywhere else. I'd suggest starting Front Page, opening the web, and
working from there at all times.

+Bob+

Re: Front page change index page?
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 05:28:01 -0700, Amanda
<Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanls Bob, I used this method and it did fix all the links for the page 2
>that I re-named to index. I just had to fix the one link on the origianl
>index page that had pointed to the page 2 originally.
>I couldn't find the Front Page newsgroup, could you direct me to it?
>Thank for your response.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm... ntpage.client

If that wraps and can't be used, try this link:
http://tinyurl.com/2fr3q
Amanda

Re: Front page change index page?
OK, thanks, I'll try that. I'm so new to editing my own page, that even
simple things can elude me. ;-)
--
Amanda B