Desktop PC Vista cannot see laptop XP

Jimmy Hsu

Desktop PC Vista cannot see laptop XP
How do I get my desktop PC with Vista Home Edition Premium to "see" my
laptop with XP (SP 3) via my home network?

My home network is a 2Wire701 Router via ADSL to the internet.

I am trying to share some folders between the laptop and the desktop, but
not having much success. I first enabled file sharing, changed the
properties of the folders I'm trying to share on the network (those folders
now have a little hand icon)

But when I looked in the desktop's Vista Explorer, I could not see the
Laptop's XP folders (with the hand icon). I went to Vista's "Network and
Sharing Center" (in Control Panel), I also didn't see the Laptop XP.
Even under Vista's "View full Map"
I don't see the laptop XP

Please advise. As I am a newbie, grateful if you can explain step by step.
Many thanks

Victor S.

RE: Desktop PC Vista cannot see laptop XP
It's probably a firewall or antivirus program on the XP computer that is
blocking sharing. Try turning off Windows Firewall in Control Panel and
turning off your antivirus program on the XP computer. If that fixes the
issue, figure out which one is causing the problems then create an exception
for the Vista computer. (If you can't figure out how, post a reply.)
Gordon

"Victor S." <VictorS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It's probably a firewall or antivirus program on the XP computer that is
> blocking sharing. Try turning off Windows Firewall in Control Panel and
> turning off your antivirus program on the XP computer. If that fixes the
> issue, figure out which one is causing the problems then create an
> exception
> for the Vista computer. (If you can't figure out how, post a reply.)

Please quote the post you are replying to - most regulars here do NOT use
the web interface.

http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

Thank you.

Mick Murphy

RE: Desktop PC Vista cannot see laptop XP
Have a browse through the info below re networking XP and Vista.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mad Mike

"Jimmy Hsu" wrote:

> How do I get my desktop PC with Vista Home Edition Premium to "see" my
> laptop with XP (SP 3) via my home network?
>
> My home network is a 2Wire701 Router via ADSL to the internet.
>
> I am trying to share some folders between the laptop and the desktop, but
> not having much success. I first enabled file sharing, changed the
> properties of the folders I'm trying to share on the network (those folders
> now have a little hand icon)
>
> But when I looked in the desktop's Vista Explorer, I could not see the
> Laptop's XP folders (with the hand icon). I went to Vista's "Network and
> Sharing Center" (in Control Panel), I also didn't see the Laptop XP.
> Even under Vista's "View full Map"
> I don't see the laptop XP
>
> Please advise. As I am a newbie, grateful if you can explain step by step.
> Many thanks

Jimmy Hsu

Re: Desktop PC Vista cannot see laptop XP
I did almost all you suggested below except tinkering with the Antivirus'
programs on the Desktop and Laptop. On the Desktop, I have Norton Internet
Security and on the Laptop I have Trend Micro's Client Server Security Agent
v 5.0. There doesn’t seem to be an menu items to set Exceptions in their
Firewall. Actually I'm not even sure they have a Firewall.

Result: I still cannot see the Laptop XP on my Desktop Vista.

> Have a browse through the info below re networking XP and Vista.

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how
> their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers
> is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s
> Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
> identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and
> password
> when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
> computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista
> computer
> to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mad Mike
>

> "Jimmy Hsu" wrote:
>
>> How do I get my desktop PC with Vista Home Edition Premium to "see" my
>> laptop with XP (SP 3) via my home network?
>>
>> My home network is a 2Wire701 Router via ADSL to the internet.
>>
>> I am trying to share some folders between the laptop and the desktop, but
>> not having much success. I first enabled file sharing, changed the
>> properties of the folders I'm trying to share on the network (those
>> folders
>> now have a little hand icon)
>>
>> But when I looked in the desktop's Vista Explorer, I could not see the
>> Laptop's XP folders (with the hand icon). I went to Vista's "Network
>> and
>> Sharing Center" (in Control Panel), I also didn't see the Laptop XP.
>> Even under Vista's "View full Map"
>> I don't see the laptop XP
>>
>> Please advise. As I am a newbie, grateful if you can explain step by
>> step.
>> Many thanks

Malke

Jimmy Hsu wrote:

> I did almost all you suggested below except tinkering with the Antivirus'
> programs on the Desktop and Laptop. On the Desktop, I have Norton
> Internet Security and on the Laptop I have Trend Micro's Client Server
> Security Agent
> v 5.0. There doesn?t seem to be an menu items to set Exceptions in their
> Firewall. Actually I'm not even sure they have a Firewall.
>
> Result: I still cannot see the Laptop XP on my Desktop Vista.

Those programs *do* each have a firewall component. Either figure out how to
configure them by reading the programs' Help file or by going to the
program mftrs.' websites and looking there OR uninstall them and install a
better antivirus such as NOD32, Kaspersky, or even Avast if you want a free
one. The built-in Windows Firewall is adequate for most people.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Dominic Payer

Re: Desktop PC Vista cannot see laptop XP
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

The LLTD Responder is included in XP SP3 but does not always install
successfully. Ask for the hotfix if it is not present in your XP
installation.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc749119.aspx if you have
further problems.

> Jimmy Hsu wrote:
>
>> I did almost all you suggested below except tinkering with the Antivirus'
>> programs on the Desktop and Laptop. On the Desktop, I have Norton
>> Internet Security and on the Laptop I have Trend Micro's Client Server
>> Security Agent
>> v 5.0. There doesn?t seem to be an menu items to set Exceptions in
>> their
>> Firewall. Actually I'm not even sure they have a Firewall.
>>
>> Result: I still cannot see the Laptop XP on my Desktop Vista.

> Those programs *do* each have a firewall component. Either figure out how
> configure them by reading the programs' Help file or by going to the
> program mftrs.' websites and looking there OR uninstall them and install a
> better antivirus such as NOD32, Kaspersky, or even Avast if you want a
> free
> one. The built-in Windows Firewall is adequate for most people.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Malke

Dominic Payer wrote:

> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
>
> The LLTD Responder is included in XP SP3 but does not always install
> successfully. Ask for the hotfix if it is not present in your XP
> installation.
>
> See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc749119.aspx if you have
> further problems.

The LLTD Responder will only add XP boxen to the network map in Vista. It
will do nothing for access denied issues. The OP needs to configure his
firewalls correctly. I've never installed the LLTD Responder on my network
or any clients' networks and have no issues sharing files/printers between
Vista, XP, Linux, and OS X.

Malke