File access and saving very slow with network folders

Tim French

File access and saving very slow with network folders
Hello,

My comment is very similar to a thread posted earlier today where network
access times are very poor. I will keep an eye on that thread too. Our
network comprises of 3 Vista machines (all SP1 - 2 x Vista Business & 1 x
Vista Home premium) and an XP machine SP2. However, the issue was present
before the XP machined was recently added back on the network. The machines
are all using Norton Protection centre.

If I think of the actions we attempt they are broadly

using the Outlook BCM shared database - performance seems fine (the database
is around 35Mb).
using Network discovery - very fast response time navigating through
directories and machines.
saving Office 2007 files on a network drive - maybe a 30 second delay on a
small (50k) file. Appears sometimes to hang / application Not Responding
msg etc.
using a MYOB accounting database. This is opened by another machine across
the network. This is about 35Mb. This will often timeout without opening
giving an internal MYOB error message.
copying files from one machine to another across the network. Again on a
file say 35Mb the file copies fast - but the machine then hangs for around
30 seconds at the end of the copy process (based upon the progress bar).
Internet access is good from each machine.

This is a network that I have basically just inherited and I am not sure
really where to start to identify the cause.

We have a D-Link wireless router running 3 machines direct from it (wireless
/ non wireless seems not to make a difference to the performance!) and then
the 4th network cable is plugged into a D-Link switch which runs 2 network
printers and another machine. When I check the network connection it shows
cabled connection speed at 100Mb. Wireless connection speed at 50Mb.
Copying a file on the network cabled shows speeds of around 20Mb per second.
Wireless file copy at about 3Mb per second.

Any pointers where to even start looking to address this speed issue will be
gratefully received.

Thanks & Regards, Tim

Tim French

Re: File access and saving very slow with network folders
Changing from Norton Antivirus to Microsoft Live OneCare has fixed the
performance problems. Tim