How many pc's can be hosted on a Vista home network?

pjg

How many pc's can be hosted on a Vista home network?
Windows XP allows 10 connections on a peer to peer network. Does anyone know
the total allowed connections for a network running Vista Business? Thanks

PJG
Malke

Re: How many pc's can be hosted on a Vista home network?
pjg wrote:

> Windows XP allows 10 connections on a peer to peer network. Does anyone
> know the total allowed connections for a network running Vista Business?
> Thanks

I'm assuming that you don't mean how many computers can be on a home network
as your subject line implies. Bandwidth and hardware considerations aside,
I believe you can have up to 256 (guessing as to the exact number). Of
course you would never want to do this; more than 7-8 machines on a
Workgroup network with a "pseudo-server" and you should be looking at
running a real server.

I think you are possibly referring to the inbound concurrent connection
limitations. Note that the limitations are on *connections* and not on
*computers*. Each computer can, and often does, make more than one
connection.

Refer to "Device Connections" in the License Terms for Microsoft Windows
Vista. For more information please see:
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/

Inbound connections limit in XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314882

5 - XP Home/Vista Home Basic
10 - Vista Home Premium/Vista Ultimate/XP Pro
49 - SBS 2000
74 - SBS 2003
Unlimited for full Server O/Ses

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

LVTravel

"pjg" <pjg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsBD8CB02-E6F2-455B-A2A4-86CA54018D18@microsoft.com...
> Windows XP allows 10 connections on a peer to peer network. Does anyone
> know
> the total allowed connections for a network running Vista Business? Thanks
>
> PJG

Only Pro allowed 10 "connections". Home only allowed 5. While I couldn't
quickly find the answer on MS site, I believe the information is the same.
Home Basic & Premium is 5 and Business and Ultimate is 10.

LVTravel

> pjg wrote:
>
>> Windows XP allows 10 connections on a peer to peer network. Does anyone
>> know the total allowed connections for a network running Vista Business?
>> Thanks

> I'm assuming that you don't mean how many computers can be on a home
> network
> as your subject line implies. Bandwidth and hardware considerations aside,
> I believe you can have up to 256 (guessing as to the exact number). Of
> course you would never want to do this; more than 7-8 machines on a
> Workgroup network with a "pseudo-server" and you should be looking at
> running a real server.
>
> I think you are possibly referring to the inbound concurrent connection
> limitations. Note that the limitations are on *connections* and not on
> *computers*. Each computer can, and often does, make more than one
> connection.
>
> Refer to "Device Connections" in the License Terms for Microsoft Windows
> Vista. For more information please see:
> http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/
>
> Inbound connections limit in XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314882
>
> 5 - XP Home/Vista Home Basic
> 10 - Vista Home Premium/Vista Ultimate/XP Pro
> 49 - SBS 2000
> 74 - SBS 2003
> Unlimited for full Server O/Ses
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Malke, thanks for putting the link for Vista on the page, saved me the
trouble to find it later. I now have the PDF EULAs for Vista on my local
computer for future reference.

I now need to correct my original post as the Vista Home Premium does allow
10 connections as does Vista Business & Ultimate editions.