cannot access xp share

tgor

cannot access xp share
A client of mine has a vista home basic PC and 2 XP Pro PC's. One of
the XP boxes houses the shared network files and the vista box has 3
mapped drives to the xp machine. the xp boxes are working ok.
Everything was ok but as of Friday the shares now have a red X over
them and I cannot access them with the vista box. I have internet on
all PC's, but I just can't access the shared drives with vista.
I have turned off the firewall (windows) and the antivirus (nod32) on
the vista machine and created a new share on the xp machine but still
cannot access the xp box from the vista.
I replaced the router just to see if it may have been the issue.

Any thoughts?
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: cannot access xp share
Hi
If all computer are capable to use the Internet, it is Not an hardware
problem, so leave your network setting and hardware as is.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"tgor" <tettnang.hops@gmail.com> wrote in message
>A client of mine has a vista home basic PC and 2 XP Pro PC's. One of
> the XP boxes houses the shared network files and the vista box has 3
> mapped drives to the xp machine. the xp boxes are working ok.
> Everything was ok but as of Friday the shares now have a red X over
> them and I cannot access them with the vista box. I have internet on
> all PC's, but I just can't access the shared drives with vista.
> I have turned off the firewall (windows) and the antivirus (nod32) on
> the vista machine and created a new share on the xp machine but still
> cannot access the xp box from the vista.
> I replaced the router just to see if it may have been the issue.
>
> Any thoughts?

Victor S.

RE: cannot access xp share
Did you also try turning off the firewall and av software on the XP computer?

Did any passwords or usernames get changed? If not, then check the user
account on the XP computer to make sure it did not get locked out. Is the
same username still being used to log into the Vista computer? Is there also
a user on the XP computer with the exact same name and password as on the
Vista computer?

Can you still ping the XP computer from the Vista computer? If you try to
go to \\xpcomputername on the Vista PC, can you see the shares?
Gordon

Re: cannot access xp share
"Victor S." <VictorS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did you also try turning off the firewall and av software on the XP
> computer?
>
> Did any passwords or usernames get changed? If not, then check the user
> account on the XP computer to make sure it did not get locked out. Is the
> same username still being used to log into the Vista computer? Is there
> also
> a user on the XP computer with the exact same name and password as on the
> Vista computer?
>
> Can you still ping the XP computer from the Vista computer? If you try to
> go to \\xpcomputername on the Vista PC, can you see the shares?

Please quote the post you are replying to - most regulars here do NOT use
the web interface.

http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

Thank you.