Vista Internet Browsing not working

Newbe0n

Vista Internet Browsing not working
I have bought my first Vista based laptop to replace my XP pro laptop.
Currently I cannot get the Vista machine to browse the internet although it
has connected to my Windows Server 2003 domain and wireless network without
problem.

The IP range is: 192.168.11.xxx
The server IP is: 192.168.11.1
The gateway IP (internet access) is: 192.168.11.3

To get all my other PC's (including the Server 2003) to browse the internet
I added a default gateway (Network Properties \ TCP/IP \ Advanced \ Gateway)
to the TCP/IP network protocol. This has worked for my domain connected XP
laptop (Via wireless network) my server (Directly plugged into the access
point) and my 'home pc' (XP) (directly plugged into the access point but not
part of the domain).

I have noticed there is another gateway specified when I run IPCONFIG on the
vista machine (192.168.11.1 - the server IP address). I have added the
192.168.11.3 gateway IP address and set the metric to 1 so that it shows
first under IPCONFIG in both the wireless connector and the cabled (LAN)
connection.

I have also disabled the IPv6 protocol.
The firewall is switch off.
I can ping the gateway (192.168.11.3)
I can also administer the gateway via the web browser (http://192.168.11.3)

Can anybody suggest something I might have missed?

Victor S.

RE: Vista Internet Browsing not working
Looks like your DHCP server is handing out the wrong gateway address. The
quickest and best solution is probably to change the setting on your DHCP
server. (Since you set up your own domain and know what a "metric" is, I
assume you know where to change it. If not, reply back.)
Gordon

"Victor S." <VictorS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Looks like your DHCP server is handing out the wrong gateway address. The
> quickest and best solution is probably to change the setting on your DHCP
> server. (Since you set up your own domain and know what a "metric" is, I
> assume you know where to change it. If not, reply back.)

Please quote the post you are replying to - most regulars here do NOT use
the web interface.

http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

Thank you.

Newbe0n

RE: Vista Internet Browsing not working
Hi Victor,

That has worked. Thankyou very much!!

For future reference:
1. On the server open up DHCP from Control Panel \ Administrative tools \ DHCP
2. Right click on Server options and select Configure Options...
3. Select 003 Router and add the IP address of your gateway router
(192.168.11.3 in this case).
4. I removed a previous IP of 192.168.11.1 that I may or may not have added
earlier (not sure) to ensure the router address is the only one present.
5. Rebooted my laptop
6. Within command prompt typed ipconfig to make sure the router is the only
one displayed.

I also undid some of my previous changes:
1. Within the network connection on my laptop, I removd the default gateway
from the TCP/IP V4.

Thankyou very much for your time in answering this question.

"Victor S." wrote:

> Looks like your DHCP server is handing out the wrong gateway address. The
> quickest and best solution is probably to change the setting on your DHCP
> server. (Since you set up your own domain and know what a "metric" is, I
> assume you know where to change it. If not, reply back.)

Newbe0n

RE: Vista Internet Browsing not working
"I also undid some of my previous changes:
1. Within the network connection on my laptop, I removd the default gateway
from the TCP/IP V4."

Not sure about this one! I would suggest if it is working don't bother with
this part.