Vista doesnt connect to Linksys wireless network

Zap

Vista doesnt connect to Linksys wireless network
ugh! All of a suden my kid's Vista Dell laptop can not connect to our home
network. It used to work fine. It wouldn't connect, we recycled the router
a number of times and all of a sudden it connected. It won't connect this
morning again. Here's the details. Please help...ed

Laptop connects fine to her school wireless network

Linksys WR54GS router

Router firmware updated to latest version 1.52

I have a XP laptop, a Mac, XBOX Live and a XP desktop that all connect fine

The router is broadcasting the SSID

Dell's wireless config utility sees the radio and has strong signal strength

No securtity except for MAC address filtering; MAC address entered correctly

Router does not see the Dell laptop as active when viewing MAC addresses

Tried with MAC address filtering off. Same results

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Vista doesnt connect to Linksys wireless network
Hi
Make sure that the original manufacturer's Wireless utility is Not loaded
and working.
Clean up the Preferred Wireless Network List, and make sure that the
advanced feature are checked correctly.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Zap" <Zap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ugh! All of a suden my kid's Vista Dell laptop can not connect to our
> home
> network. It used to work fine. It wouldn't connect, we recycled the
> router
> a number of times and all of a sudden it connected. It won't connect this
> morning again. Here's the details. Please help...ed
>
> Laptop connects fine to her school wireless network
>
> Linksys WR54GS router
>
> Router firmware updated to latest version 1.52
>
> I have a XP laptop, a Mac, XBOX Live and a XP desktop that all connect
> fine
>
> The router is broadcasting the SSID
>
> Dell's wireless config utility sees the radio and has strong signal
> strength
>
> No securtity except for MAC address filtering; MAC address entered
> correctly
>
> Router does not see the Dell laptop as active when viewing MAC addresses
>
> Tried with MAC address filtering off. Same results

+Bob+

Re: Vista doesnt connect to Linksys wireless network
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 08:28:01 -0700, Zap
<Zap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>ugh! All of a suden my kid's Vista Dell laptop can not connect to our home
>network. It used to work fine. It wouldn't connect, we recycled the router
>a number of times and all of a sudden it connected. It won't connect this
>morning again. Here's the details. Please help...ed
>
>Laptop connects fine to her school wireless network
>
>Linksys WR54GS router
>
>Router firmware updated to latest version 1.52
>
>I have a XP laptop, a Mac, XBOX Live and a XP desktop that all connect fine
>
>The router is broadcasting the SSID
>
>Dell's wireless config utility sees the radio and has strong signal strength
>
>No securtity except for MAC address filtering; MAC address entered correctly
>
>Router does not see the Dell laptop as active when viewing MAC addresses
>
>Tried with MAC address filtering off. Same results

If you call LInksys, they will have you download a program that shuts
off all security and then try again. I suggest you do that manually
and see if it works.
Zap

Re: Vista doesnt connect to Linksys wireless network
I turned off all security on the router manually but I can try calling them.

"+Bob+" wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 08:28:01 -0700, Zap
> <Zap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >ugh! All of a suden my kid's Vista Dell laptop can not connect to our home
> >network. It used to work fine. It wouldn't connect, we recycled the router
> >a number of times and all of a sudden it connected. It won't connect this
> >morning again. Here's the details. Please help...ed
> >
> >Laptop connects fine to her school wireless network
> >
> >Linksys WR54GS router
> >
> >Router firmware updated to latest version 1.52
> >
> >I have a XP laptop, a Mac, XBOX Live and a XP desktop that all connect fine
> >
> >The router is broadcasting the SSID
> >
> >Dell's wireless config utility sees the radio and has strong signal strength
> >
> >No securtity except for MAC address filtering; MAC address entered correctly
> >
> >Router does not see the Dell laptop as active when viewing MAC addresses
> >
> >Tried with MAC address filtering off. Same results

> If you call LInksys, they will have you download a program that shuts
> off all security and then try again. I suggest you do that manually
> and see if it works.

Zap

Re: Vista doesnt connect to Linksys wireless network
I did clean up the wireless list to no avail. I know Dell's utility is there
but this worked and then just stopped after a reboot of the router. Wierd.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Make sure that the original manufacturer's Wireless utility is Not loaded
> and working.
> Clean up the Preferred Wireless Network List, and make sure that the
> advanced feature are checked correctly.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>

> "Zap" <Zap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ugh! All of a suden my kid's Vista Dell laptop can not connect to our
> > home
> > network. It used to work fine. It wouldn't connect, we recycled the
> > router
> > a number of times and all of a sudden it connected. It won't connect this
> > morning again. Here's the details. Please help...ed
> >
> > Laptop connects fine to her school wireless network
> >
> > Linksys WR54GS router
> >
> > Router firmware updated to latest version 1.52
> >
> > I have a XP laptop, a Mac, XBOX Live and a XP desktop that all connect
> > fine
> >
> > The router is broadcasting the SSID
> >
> > Dell's wireless config utility sees the radio and has strong signal
> > strength
> >
> > No securtity except for MAC address filtering; MAC address entered
> > correctly
> >
> > Router does not see the Dell laptop as active when viewing MAC addresses
> >
> > Tried with MAC address filtering off. Same results

beoweolf

Re: Vista doesnt connect to Linksys wireless network
How many "Profiles" does she have configured. Did this issue surface 'after'
she started back to school?

Many public institutions have finally given some thought to security. I
would wonder if there is something in the her school appropriate
configuration that does not allow your, possibly, less secure non-certified
WLAN to connect? Just guessing.

Fortunately, Vista does allow an alternate profile. Select the alternate
profile, the start from scratch with configuring it to access your home
network. If that solves the problem - allow her to use one for school and
the other when connecting at home.

"Zap" <Zap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ugh! All of a suden my kid's Vista Dell laptop can not connect to our
> home
> network. It used to work fine. It wouldn't connect, we recycled the
> router
> a number of times and all of a sudden it connected. It won't connect this
> morning again. Here's the details. Please help...ed
>
> Laptop connects fine to her school wireless network
>
> Linksys WR54GS router
>
> Router firmware updated to latest version 1.52
>
> I have a XP laptop, a Mac, XBOX Live and a XP desktop that all connect
> fine
>
> The router is broadcasting the SSID
>
> Dell's wireless config utility sees the radio and has strong signal
> strength
>
> No securtity except for MAC address filtering; MAC address entered
> correctly
>
> Router does not see the Dell laptop as active when viewing MAC addresses
>
> Tried with MAC address filtering off. Same results

Zap

Re: Vista doesnt connect to Linksys wireless network
Turns out she is on the wire at school. She connects to one of her friend's
in-dorm wireless routers. I cleared all profiles. Weird thing is that the
laptop was just sitting on the kitchen table and it connected, with MAC
filtering on. The router was reset the next day and the laptop can't
connect. I see the MAC address in the inactive list on the router. i even
turned MAC filtering off and reset both the router and laptop. It used to
work fine. As a matter of fact it worked this summer connected to a rental
house wireless and then fine when we got back home. I don't get it. Can
this have anything to do with MTU? I know XBox Live has issues with that.