Problems Sharing HP Printer in Vista

Vista_32bit

Problems Sharing HP Printer in Vista

I have been trying to share my printer for a while but my laptops just
can't recognize them. I have went through all the instructions on how to
set it up but my laptops just won't recognize it. WHY?!?!?!

--
Vista_32bit
Malke

Re: Problems Sharing HP Printer in Vista
Vista_32bit wrote:

> I have been trying to share my printer for a while but my laptops just
> can't recognize them. I have went through all the instructions on how to
> set it up but my laptops just won't recognize it. WHY?!?!?!

We don't know WHY because you haven't told us what you've tried, how the
printer is connected, which HP printer it is, whether you have Local Area
Network file sharing set up successfully, etc.

In the absence of this information, I can only give you general networking
help:

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with a firewall component (like
Norton or McAfee), then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by exchanging a
file between all machines), if you want to share a printer connected
locally to one of your computers, share it out from that machine. Then go
to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest drivers for the
correct operating system(s). Install them on the target machine(s). The
printer should be seen during the installation routine. If it is not,
install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard. In some instances,
certain printers need to be installed as Local printers but that is outside
of this response.

Malke
--
MS-MVP