Laptop connects to internet but can't access computers on home network

jm2267 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laptop connects to internet but can't access computers on home network
I have a home network consisting of two desktops and two laptops connected via a D-link 655 Wireless N router. My laptop runs Vista Home Premium. My wife's laptop runs XP. We all connect to the internet just fine. There is a printer connected to one of the desktops and we use it to print from the laptops. My wife's XP laptop has no problem printing.

I can't print or access the shared files on the desktop. When I click on networking I see an icon for the desktop but when I click on it there is a long pause before I get a "\\xxxx is not accessible, you may not have access, etc" message. Turning off firewalls, antiviral programs, etc on both computers has no effect. The workgroup names are identical.

I have found one solution that works but only for a short time. If I rename the workgroup on both and reboot both, suddenly my laptop can print, see all the shared folders on the desktop, etc. Then before a day has passed, it's gone again. If I do it again, it works again but only for a short time.

I have searched every forum, help page to no avail. I don't even know where to begin. The problem didn't exist when I first bought the laptop so something must have changed but what?
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Laptop connects to internet but can't access computers on home network
Hi
Maybe this can Help.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.