moving single workstation to other location without domain

Marcel Krai

moving single workstation to other location without domain
Hi,

I have one user who is a member of a windows server 2008 domain, which pc is
moved to his house.
What is the way that this user still can logon to the domain in a secure
way, without placing a dc on that site?
What is the advised method for this?
Is there an easy way this user can connect over the internet by vpn
Is this easy to install on the dc (though maybe not preferred on the dc, but
I have nothing else at this moment) ?

regards,
Marcel

Malke

Re: moving single workstation to other location without domain
Marcel Krai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have one user who is a member of a windows server 2008 domain, which pc
> is moved to his house.
> What is the way that this user still can logon to the domain in a secure
> way, without placing a dc on that site?
> What is the advised method for this?
> Is there an easy way this user can connect over the internet by vpn
> Is this easy to install on the dc (though maybe not preferred on the dc,
> but I have nothing else at this moment) ?

Absolutely your user can connect over a VPN. In fact, that would be the best
way to go. I haven't set this up on Server 2008 (the last client we set
this up for has only Server 2003), but this Google search has quite a few
links that look promising. It is quite easy to do, from both the server and
workstation ends.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rch& aq=f&oq=

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: moving single workstation to other location without domain
Hi
There are 3rd party applications that can help in the managing of few
Network Logon.
Example, http://www.mobilenetswitch.com/
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)