Multiple Network Cards and Networks

Richard

Multiple Network Cards and Networks
Hi,
My home PC has 2 network cards in it:
1. Wireless network card that is used for accessing my wireless ADSL
router. THis is the primary neto9wrk interface I use to connect to the
internet
2. An on board ethernet NIC that I am trying to use as a private network.
This is connected to a netgear switch on my desk, which I use as a private
network that I plug my laptop into.

The problem
=========
I have Vista Ultimate 654 Bit edition running with all patches. The issue I
have is that the network settings are a bitg hard to understand.
Logically, I was expecting that I could set the wireless as a public
network, so that no sharing etc occurs across it, and that the ethernet
connected to the switch was the internal network. This internal network would
be used to access all internal network resource only.
The problem seems to manifest in that in Network and Sharing Center, for the
local only network I cannot change the name or the icons etc. Also, when I
set it to Private, the settings are lost.

I am in the IT game, so find this irritating beyond belief.
Is it just me doing something wrong here, or is it not possible to have the
setup I have described above?

Any help from any one is very much appreciated.

Regards
barman58

Re: Multiple Network Cards and Networks

Hi richard,

Firstly if this response is oversimplified I apologise.

just some things I would check

The 2 networks are on different subnets
Manual IP addressing for wired and auto for wireless
No gateway on the Wired
The file and printer sharing is on for the wired and off for the
wireless.
The Microsoft network client is on for the wired and off for the
wireless.

Hopefully this set up will allow you to set the Private / Public
settings for each network

you may also have to setup manual IP routing for the private network

basic examples of how to in Vista 'Here'
(http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...routing-table/)

hope this helps

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Paul Montgomery

Re: Multiple Network Cards and Networks
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 06:51:30 -0500, barman58 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Hi richard,
>
>Firstly if this response is oversimplified I apologise.

You should be apologizing to eveyone else for not quoting the post -
or the relevant part of the post - that you are replying to.

Many of us have other Usenent stops and don't spend all of our time in
one place so it's not that easy to keep it all in memory.

You post a lot. You should learn to quote.

>just some things I would check
>
>The 2 networks are on different subnets
>Manual IP addressing for wired and auto for wireless
>No gateway on the Wired
>The file and printer sharing is on for the wired and off for the
>wireless.
>The Microsoft network client is on for the wired and off for the
>wireless.
>
>Hopefully this set up will allow you to set the Private / Public
>settings for each network
>
>you may also have to setup manual IP routing for the private network
>
>basic examples of how to in Vista 'Here'
>(http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...routing-table/)
>
>hope this helps

Richard

Re: Multiple Network Cards and Networks
Barman,
Thanks for the response. I did not try with a static IP. However, what would
I put for the gateway, as there is no gaetway for that NIC?

Also, since one of my PC's is a laptop that I use for work, the ideal
situation would be for it to store a network "profile" that is automatically
turned on when I connect to the network that I have associated with the
profile. So, for example, when I am at work, the work profile is enabled
(with the Internet proxy and DHCP), whereas when I am at home, the "Home"
profile is activated (no DHCP and static IP). Does anyone know if this is
even remotely possible?

I love Vista, but feel that this is the one thing that got horribly broken.

Regards

Richard

"barman58" wrote:

> Hi richard,
>
> Firstly if this response is oversimplified I apologise.
>
> just some things I would check
>
> The 2 networks are on different subnets
> Manual IP addressing for wired and auto for wireless
> No gateway on the Wired
> The file and printer sharing is on for the wired and off for the
> wireless.
> The Microsoft network client is on for the wired and off for the
> wireless.
>
> Hopefully this set up will allow you to set the Private / Public
> settings for each network
>
> you may also have to setup manual IP routing for the private network
>
> basic examples of how to in Vista 'Here'
> (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...routing-table/)
>
> hope this helps
>

> --
> barman58
>
> Regards,
> *Nigel*
> the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
> understand.,- frank herbert

ericdm55

Re: Multiple Network Cards and Networks

I have the same set-up. One nic is for the wireless and RJ45 WAN, the
second is static (manulally set the TCP to 10.0.0.088 etc. wired through
a hub and file sharing is allowed on this. AVG is running and we are
allowed to set this adapter for safe. The annoying Vista problem is
resetting the safe static nic as private each time I start up, for 2 yrs
now. Also the name is unidentified, permanantly, but does work.

--
ericdm55
lemur

Re: Multiple Network Cards and Networks

'Configuring multiple gateways on a network - Windows Vista Help'
(http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...8ef1f1033.mspx)

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::
ericdm55

Re: Multiple Network Cards and Networks

Thanks Lemur but
Ive done that for two years, works OK, but
I would like to edit my private nic,
assign a private name
and lock the status as Private.
Sorry no can do kimosabe!!

--
ericdm55
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Multiple Network Cards and Networks
Hi
Assuming that two Networks are on separate subnets (if Not, then separate
them).
Try to Uninstall (not disable. Uninstall) AVG an see what would happen.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"ericdm55" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have the same set-up. One nic is for the wireless and RJ45 WAN, the
> second is static (manulally set the TCP to 10.0.0.088 etc. wired through
> a hub and file sharing is allowed on this. AVG is running and we are
> allowed to set this adapter for safe. The annoying Vista problem is
> resetting the safe static nic as private each time I start up, for 2 yrs
> now. Also the name is unidentified, permanantly, but does work.
>

> --
> ericdm55

Tae Song

Re: Multiple Network Cards and Networks

"ericdm55" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have the same set-up. One nic is for the wireless and RJ45 WAN, the
> second is static (manulally set the TCP to 10.0.0.088 etc. wired through
> a hub and file sharing is allowed on this. AVG is running and we are
> allowed to set this adapter for safe. The annoying Vista problem is
> resetting the safe static nic as private each time I start up, for 2 yrs
> now. Also the name is unidentified, permanantly, but does work.
>

> --
> ericdm55

"One nic for wireless and RJ45 WAN"

HUH?

NIC is Network Interface Card/Chip

RJ45 in the context of network would imply ethernet/wired/LAN

WAN is wide area network, usually it would mean dialup or connecting to a
distant network provided over leased line.

So the closest the sentence might translate into something intelligible is
"One network interface card for wireless and wired and wide area network."

But the following phrase "second is static (manulally <manually> set the TCP
to <missing closing bracket>"

You didn't use the correct term, you mean IP address not TCP or nic.

and looking at the first part of the sentence again it would read...

"One IP address for wireless and RJ45 WAN"

You can only have one IP address per network interface. You listed three,
wireless, RJ45 (implies ethernet/wired/LAN) and WAN.

So we shorten that to "One IP address for wireless".

So get this...

One IP address for the wireless and second is a static IP address (static,
implies manually set) is 10.0.0.88 assigned to the ethernet port (wired)

Condensed down without too much useless networking jargon would read,
"Wireless is set to automatically obtain an IP address and the wired is
assigned IP address 10.0.0.88."

I wrote this out to show you what I had to go through to figure out what you
were trying to say.

If the the network is coming up as "Unidentified network" you need to set
the gateway address. For 10.0.0.88, It might be 10.0.0.1 but since I can't
see what you did to set up your network, I can't be sure.

Wron

"ericdm55" wrote:

> I have the same set-up. One nic is for the wireless and RJ45 WAN, the
> second is static (manulally set the TCP to 10.0.0.088 etc. wired through
> a hub and file sharing is allowed on this. AVG is running and we are
> allowed to set this adapter for safe. The annoying Vista problem is
> resetting the safe static nic as private each time I start up, for 2 yrs
> now. Also the name is unidentified, permanantly, but does work.
>

> --
> ericdm55

Hey ericdm55, I know exactly what you mean. Try this:

Hikmat KanaanMVP
1Sign In to Vote Hi , All

Finally after about 4 hours of research , I think this is the solution:
To be able to change you second adapter status to private network profile do
the following:

1. If this is need for a stand alone server , run local security policy
editor
2. select network list Manager Policies
3. At the right Side you can select & double click: Unidentified Networks
4. In the location type select Private , which means that all Unidentified
networks will be consider as private profile network
5. you can also allow the user to change the Location profile

This will allow the system to keep settings after reboot

The same hold true if you used teh Domain Policy
Have fun

Hikmat KanaanProposed As Answer byHikmat KanaanMVPThursday, September 04,
2008 12:34 PM
ReplyQuote

--I found this on technet, I DID NOT come up with this myself

PS: Under the main page of Network and Sharing Center, your private network
will still show up as "Unidentified Network", but if you click on "Windows
Firewall", you will see that Widows does indeed see it as a private network,
even when the Internet network is set to public. Also, I am using Windows 7
RC, so Vista might be a little different.