XP and Vista Networking + file sharing problem

Ristar

XP and Vista Networking + file sharing problem
i need to share files between 2 systems, one XP, one Vista.

the XP PC can detect Vista PC on the network. but returns a not accessible,
no permissions message when i try to access it.

the Vista PC cant detect XP PC.

any help?
Mick Murphy

RE: XP and Vista Networking + file sharing problem
Have a read of the XP > vista info below.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mad Mike

"Ristar" wrote:

> i need to share files between 2 systems, one XP, one Vista.
>
> the XP PC can detect Vista PC on the network. but returns a not accessible,
> no permissions message when i try to access it.
>
> the Vista PC cant detect XP PC.
>

> any help?

Ristar

RE: XP and Vista Networking + file sharing problem
both firewalls are ZoneAlarm.

Vista
-----
Network Name: MSHOME
Private Network, Workgroup name is the same.
Network Discovery: ON
Public File sharing: ON

XP
---
Network Name: MSHOME
Wizard done, still no sign of it appearing on Vista

but, still not working.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Have a read of the XP > vista info below.

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
> identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
> when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
> computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
> to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mad Mike
>

> "Ristar" wrote:
>
> > i need to share files between 2 systems, one XP, one Vista.
> >
> > the XP PC can detect Vista PC on the network. but returns a not accessible,
> > no permissions message when i try to access it.
> >
> > the Vista PC cant detect XP PC.
> >

> > any help?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: XP and Vista Networking + file sharing problem
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ristar" <Ristar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i need to share files between 2 systems, one XP, one Vista.
>
> the XP PC can detect Vista PC on the network. but returns a not
> accessible,
> no permissions message when i try to access it.
>
> the Vista PC cant detect XP PC.
>

> any help?

barman58

Re: XP and Vista Networking + file sharing problem

Hi ristar,

Firstly Microsoft's in depth tutorial is 'here'
(http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...9265e1033.mspx)

but basically things to check are

Workgroup name identical on all machines

sharing enabled and at least one folder shared on all machines

An identical user with a password set on all machines

If you work through the tutorial and post back with any specific errors
you receive.

Hope this helps

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Ristar

Re: XP and Vista Networking + file sharing problem
Hi
All other computers, which are running on XP, are sharing perfectly. its
only the laptop which is running on Vista that is having problems.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> allowed to be shared.
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Windows XP File Sharing -
> Printer Sharing XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Ristar" <Ristar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i need to share files between 2 systems, one XP, one Vista.
> >
> > the XP PC can detect Vista PC on the network. but returns a not
> > accessible,
> > no permissions message when i try to access it.
> >
> > the Vista PC cant detect XP PC.
> >

> > any help?

Ristar

Re: XP and Vista Networking + file sharing problem
everything is in place. (ref post #3)

"barman58" wrote:

> Hi ristar,
>
> Firstly Microsoft's in depth tutorial is 'here'
> (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...9265e1033.mspx)
>
> but basically things to check are
>
> Workgroup name identical on all machines
>
> sharing enabled and at least one folder shared on all machines
>
> An identical user with a password set on all machines
>
> If you work through the tutorial and post back with any specific errors
> you receive.
>
> Hope this helps
>

> --
> barman58
>
> Regards,
> *Nigel*
> the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
> understand.,- frank herbert

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: XP and Vista Networking + file sharing problem
Hi
Did you tune the Firewall to allow sharing.
Try to add Port 445 manually to the exceptions.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> Hi
> All other computers, which are running on XP, are sharing perfectly. its
> only the laptop which is running on Vista that is having problems.
>

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
>> settings,
>> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it is
>> allowed to be shared.
>> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>> Windows XP File Sharing -
>> Printer Sharing XP -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx
>> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
>> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>

>> "Ristar" <Ristar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i need to share files between 2 systems, one XP, one Vista.
>> >
>> > the XP PC can detect Vista PC on the network. but returns a not
>> > accessible,
>> > no permissions message when i try to access it.
>> >
>> > the Vista PC cant detect XP PC.
>> >

>> > any help?

Dazman

"Ristar" wrote:

> i need to share files between 2 systems, one XP, one Vista.
>
> the XP PC can detect Vista PC on the network. but returns a not accessible,
> no permissions message when i try to access it.
>
> the Vista PC cant detect XP PC.

I had the same problem.

XP could see and access Vista but Vista could only see my XP computer and
access was denied.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...r=US&sloc=&p=1

> any help?

Ristar

RE: XP and Vista Networking + file sharing problem
i read your post before posting this new topic, actually.

but... i dun have "Security Settings" in "Administrative Tools" and
"gpedit.msc".

my OSes are: XP Home and Vista Home Basic.