No internet access while using my VPN connection

wo0ozy

No internet access while using my VPN connection

Hello everyone,

The computer I am using, is on a university network, with connection to
the internet; I want to have access to my home computer through a VPN.
So i have setted up a VPN server at my home runnig with windows vista,
and I connect to it from the university network using my computer which
is also running under windows vista.
The problem is that when I connect to the vpn the internet connection
with my university doesn't work anymore, althgough the vpn is.
Here is what I get under my network and sharing center:
http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php...lenetworks.jpg

Can't I have internet and VPN access at the same time?

Thanks for helping.

--
wo0ozy
wo0ozy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/wo0ozy.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: No internet access while using my VPN connection
That is the split tunnel issue. See this article for an explanation and how
to enable the split tunnel on your PPTP VPN connection. By the way with the
split tunnel disabled (ie. the default) all of your internet traffic will go
through your home Vista PPTP VPN server. You may need to enable TCP/IP
forwarding however. See the second article for help with that.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315236/en-us

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"wo0ozy" <wo0ozy.3g1qjc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hello everyone,
>
> The computer I am using, is on a university network, with connection to
> the internet; I want to have access to my home computer through a VPN.
> So i have setted up a VPN server at my home runnig with windows vista,
> and I connect to it from the university network using my computer which
> is also running under windows vista.
> The problem is that when I connect to the vpn the internet connection
> with my university doesn't work anymore, althgough the vpn is.
> Here is what I get under my network and sharing center:
> http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php...lenetworks.jpg
>
> Can't I have internet and VPN access at the same time?
>
> Thanks for helping.
>

> --
> wo0ozy
> wo0ozy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/wo0ozy.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1041482.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

wo0ozy

'Sooner Al [MVP Wrote:
> ;3985033']That is the split tunnel issue. See this article for an
> explanation and how
> to enable the split tunnel on your PPTP VPN connection. By the way with
> the
> split tunnel disabled (ie. the default) all of your internet traffic
> will go
> through your home Vista PPTP VPN server. You may need to enable TCP/IP
> forwarding however. See the second article for help with that.

> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
> "wo0ozy" <wo0ozy.3g1qjc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > The computer I am using, is on a university network, with connection

> > the internet; I want to have access to my home computer through a

> VPN.
> > So i have setted up a VPN server at my home runnig with windows

> vista,
> > and I connect to it from the university network using my computer

> which
> > is also running under windows vista.
> > The problem is that when I connect to the vpn the internet

> connection
> > with my university doesn't work anymore, althgough the vpn is.
> > Here is what I get under my network and sharing center:
> >

> http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php...lenetworks.jpg
> >
> > Can't I have internet and VPN access at the same time?
> >
> > Thanks for helping.
> >

> > --
> > wo0ozy

> > wo0ozy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/wo0ozy.htm
> > View this thread:
> > http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1041482.htm
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in

Thanks a lot Sooner Al, it works flawlessly, I knew I was missing
something.

Cheers.

PS: for those who are wondering what is the solution, here it is, from
microsoft support site.