Need to "unshare" drive

Kemps

Need to "unshare" drive
Running Vista Home Premium on a desktop into which I've just installed
a new drive . . . and I'm trying to restrict access to that drive to
just one user. (There are two user accounts, the one for which I'm
trying to restrict access is a Standard account.)

First, I successfully hid this drive following the instructions here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Second, I changed sharing ("right click"|Properties|Sharing|Advanced
Sharing|Permissions) to deny access to the standard account . . . and
from this account I still have full access. I also tried adding Deny
permissions to folders on this drive; I still have access to these
from this Standard account.

I do need to share this drive across a router-based network with an XP
computer. What must I do to maintain access on the older computer,
yet restrict access to the one user on the newer computer?

Thanks -
Steve Winograd

Re: Need to "unshare" drive
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 03:48:36 -0700 (PDT), Kemps <kemps@optonline.net>
wrote:

>Running Vista Home Premium on a desktop into which I've just installed
>a new drive . . . and I'm trying to restrict access to that drive to
>just one user. (There are two user accounts, the one for which I'm
>trying to restrict access is a Standard account.)
>
>First, I successfully hid this drive following the instructions here:
>http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
>
>Second, I changed sharing ("right click"|Properties|Sharing|Advanced
>Sharing|Permissions) to deny access to the standard account . . . and
>from this account I still have full access. I also tried adding Deny
>permissions to folders on this drive; I still have access to these
>from this Standard account.
>
>I do need to share this drive across a router-based network with an XP
>computer. What must I do to maintain access on the older computer,
>yet restrict access to the one user on the newer computer?
>
>Thanks -

The instructions that you followed don't restrict access. Any user
who knows the drive's letter can access the drive.

Sharing permissions have no effect on other users of the same
computer. They only apply to users who access the drive from another
computer on the network.

To define permissions for another user on the same computer,
right-click the drive and go to Properties > Security.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Kemps

Re: Need to "unshare" drive
On Sep 20, 11:17*am, Steve Winograd <bc0705...@comcast.net> wrote, in
part:

> The instructions that you followed don't restrict access. *Any user
> who knows the drive's letter can access the drive.
>
> Sharing permissions have no effect on other users of the same
> computer. *They only apply to users who access the drive from another
> computer on the network.

I'd not realized this, but then I'm not particularly adept in
Vista . . . .

> To define permissions for another user on the same computer,
> right-click the drive and go to Properties > Security.

I should have known better . . . this is a little more like XP was.
Thanks for the help!
Steve Winograd

Re: Need to "unshare" drive
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:38:21 -0700 (PDT), Kemps <kemps@optonline.net>
wrote:

>On Sep 20, 11:17*am, Steve Winograd <bc0705...@comcast.net> wrote, in
>part:
>>
>> The instructions that you followed don't restrict access. *Any user
>> who knows the drive's letter can access the drive.
>>
>> Sharing permissions have no effect on other users of the same
>> computer. *They only apply to users who access the drive from another
>> computer on the network.

>I'd not realized this, but then I'm not particularly adept in
>Vista . . . .
>
>> To define permissions for another user on the same computer,
>> right-click the drive and go to Properties > Security.

>I should have known better . . . this is a little more like XP was.
>Thanks for the help!

You're welcome! Please let us know how it goes, or come back with
more questions.