XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP

Dazman

XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP
Okay, I bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium and I've set everything up to
work on a network.

My desktop computer runs XP and is connected (hard wired) to the internet
through my D-Link 655 router. The laptop can see the desktop computer, but
can't access it via wireless. The internet access works though.

Both have different computer names;

Both have the same workgroup name;

I can see the XP computer and can ping both computers; and

Both firewalls are off.

Have the Hotfix for XP to address this problem.

Xp computer can access Vista computer.

Any ideas??
oscar

RE: XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP

There are two basic operations in setting up a Vista home network: Setting
up the local workgroup and setting up file sharing.
Setting up local workgroup:
1. On Vista Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Click Network and Internet.
4. Click Network and Sharing Center.
5. Select the settings that you would like to use.
Suggested these basic settings for Vista:
Network discovery – ON (make sure Work Group is same name on XP and Vista)
File Sharing – ON
Public folder sharing – ON
Printer Sharing – ON
Setting up file sharing:
For sharing users folder, highlight Folder that you want to share > click on
Share on Windows toolbar > Change Sharing Permissions > add Everyone

OR

right click Folder that you want to share > properties> Sharing tab >
Advanced Sharing > Permissions > add Everyone

If needed: Run the Network Wizard and file sharing on the XP.

Also, look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

Addendum- Sometimes, if Vista stops seeing other computer on a wireless home
network, then try shutting wireless switch off, wait a couple minutes, then
turn back on. This is called resetting wireless connection.

--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"Dazman" wrote:

> Okay, I bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium and I've set everything up to
> work on a network.
>
> My desktop computer runs XP and is connected (hard wired) to the internet
> through my D-Link 655 router. The laptop can see the desktop computer, but
> can't access it via wireless. The internet access works though.
>
> Both have different computer names;
>
> Both have the same workgroup name;
>
> I can see the XP computer and can ping both computers; and
>
> Both firewalls are off.
>
> Have the Hotfix for XP to address this problem.
>
> Xp computer can access Vista computer.
>
> Any ideas??

Dazman

"oscar" wrote:

> There are two basic operations in setting up a Vista home network: Setting
> up the local workgroup and setting up file sharing.
> Setting up local workgroup:
> 1. On Vista Click Start.
> 2. Click Control Panel.
> 3. Click Network and Internet.
> 4. Click Network and Sharing Center.
> 5. Select the settings that you would like to use.
> Suggested these basic settings for Vista:
> Network discovery – ON (make sure Work Group is same name on XP and Vista)
> File Sharing – ON
> Public folder sharing – ON
> Printer Sharing – ON
> Setting up file sharing:
> For sharing users folder, highlight Folder that you want to share > click on
> Share on Windows toolbar > Change Sharing Permissions > add Everyone
>
> OR
>
> right click Folder that you want to share > properties> Sharing tab >
> Advanced Sharing > Permissions > add Everyone
>

> If needed: Run the Network Wizard and file sharing on the XP.
>

> Also, look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>
> Addendum- Sometimes, if Vista stops seeing other computer on a wireless home
> network, then try shutting wireless switch off, wait a couple minutes, then
> turn back on. This is called resetting wireless connection.
>
> --
> oscar
>
> ...Right click is your very good friend...
>

> "Dazman" wrote:
>
> > Okay, I bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium and I've set everything up to
> > work on a network.
> >
> > My desktop computer runs XP and is connected (hard wired) to the internet
> > through my D-Link 655 router. The laptop can see the desktop computer, but
> > can't access it via wireless. The internet access works though.
> >
> > Both have different computer names;
> >
> > Both have the same workgroup name;
> >
> > I can see the XP computer and can ping both computers; and
> >
> > Both firewalls are off.
> >
> > Have the Hotfix for XP to address this problem.
> >
> > Xp computer can access Vista computer.
> >
> > Any ideas??

I've done it all. I've removed FWs and AV programs nothing.

I connect the computer to the router via Cat5 and I can't even see the Xp
computer. I can see the connection on the Xp computer and it tells me "no
clients." A bunch are listed under properties like guest and administrator.

I've been working on this for hours and days and I'm stumped.

On the Vista via wireless I can see the computer icon, but it says access
denied.
Mick Murphy

RE: XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP
Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

"Dazman" wrote:

> "oscar" wrote:
>

> > There are two basic operations in setting up a Vista home network: Setting
> > up the local workgroup and setting up file sharing.
> > Setting up local workgroup:
> > 1. On Vista Click Start.
> > 2. Click Control Panel.
> > 3. Click Network and Internet.
> > 4. Click Network and Sharing Center.
> > 5. Select the settings that you would like to use.
> > Suggested these basic settings for Vista:
> > Network discovery – ON (make sure Work Group is same name on XP and Vista)
> > File Sharing – ON
> > Public folder sharing – ON
> > Printer Sharing – ON
> > Setting up file sharing:
> > For sharing users folder, highlight Folder that you want to share > click on
> > Share on Windows toolbar > Change Sharing Permissions > add Everyone
> >
> > OR
> >
> > right click Folder that you want to share > properties> Sharing tab >
> > Advanced Sharing > Permissions > add Everyone
> >

> > If needed: Run the Network Wizard and file sharing on the XP.
> >

> > Also, look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >
> > Addendum- Sometimes, if Vista stops seeing other computer on a wireless home
> > network, then try shutting wireless switch off, wait a couple minutes, then
> > turn back on. This is called resetting wireless connection.
> >
> > --
> > oscar
> >
> > ...Right click is your very good friend...
> >

> > "Dazman" wrote:
> >
> > > Okay, I bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium and I've set everything up to
> > > work on a network.
> > >
> > > My desktop computer runs XP and is connected (hard wired) to the internet
> > > through my D-Link 655 router. The laptop can see the desktop computer, but
> > > can't access it via wireless. The internet access works though.
> > >
> > > Both have different computer names;
> > >
> > > Both have the same workgroup name;
> > >
> > > I can see the XP computer and can ping both computers; and
> > >
> > > Both firewalls are off.
> > >
> > > Have the Hotfix for XP to address this problem.
> > >
> > > Xp computer can access Vista computer.
> > >
> > > Any ideas??

> I've done it all. I've removed FWs and AV programs nothing.
>
> I connect the computer to the router via Cat5 and I can't even see the Xp
> computer. I can see the connection on the Xp computer and it tells me "no
> clients." A bunch are listed under properties like guest and administrator.
>
> I've been working on this for hours and days and I'm stumped.
>
> On the Vista via wireless I can see the computer icon, but it says access
> denied.

oscar

RE: XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP
Dazman,

Thanks for the extra information.

Look at these XP settings.
My Network Places (on start menu) > View Network Connections > right click
Local Area Connection > Properties > LAN Properties and:

Check to see if these drivers/components are checked (enabled) or installed:

1) File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.
2) Client for Microsoft Networks
3) Network Monitor Driver

Hope this helps…

--

"Dazman" wrote:

> "oscar" wrote:
>

> > There are two basic operations in setting up a Vista home network: Setting
> > up the local workgroup and setting up file sharing.
> > Setting up local workgroup:
> > 1. On Vista Click Start.
> > 2. Click Control Panel.
> > 3. Click Network and Internet.
> > 4. Click Network and Sharing Center.
> > 5. Select the settings that you would like to use.
> > Suggested these basic settings for Vista:
> > Network discovery – ON (make sure Work Group is same name on XP and Vista)
> > File Sharing – ON
> > Public folder sharing – ON
> > Printer Sharing – ON
> > Setting up file sharing:
> > For sharing users folder, highlight Folder that you want to share > click on
> > Share on Windows toolbar > Change Sharing Permissions > add Everyone
> >
> > OR
> >
> > right click Folder that you want to share > properties> Sharing tab >
> > Advanced Sharing > Permissions > add Everyone
> >

> > If needed: Run the Network Wizard and file sharing on the XP.
> >

> > Also, look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >
> > Addendum- Sometimes, if Vista stops seeing other computer on a wireless home
> > network, then try shutting wireless switch off, wait a couple minutes, then
> > turn back on. This is called resetting wireless connection.
> >
> > --
> > oscar
> >
> > ...Right click is your very good friend...
> >

> > "Dazman" wrote:
> >
> > > Okay, I bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium and I've set everything up to
> > > work on a network.
> > >
> > > My desktop computer runs XP and is connected (hard wired) to the internet
> > > through my D-Link 655 router. The laptop can see the desktop computer, but
> > > can't access it via wireless. The internet access works though.
> > >
> > > Both have different computer names;
> > >
> > > Both have the same workgroup name;
> > >
> > > I can see the XP computer and can ping both computers; and
> > >
> > > Both firewalls are off.
> > >
> > > Have the Hotfix for XP to address this problem.
> > >
> > > Xp computer can access Vista computer.
> > >
> > > Any ideas??

> I've done it all. I've removed FWs and AV programs nothing.
>
> I connect the computer to the router via Cat5 and I can't even see the Xp
> computer. I can see the connection on the Xp computer and it tells me "no
> clients." A bunch are listed under properties like guest and administrator.
>
> I've been working on this for hours and days and I'm stumped.
>
> On the Vista via wireless I can see the computer icon, but it says access
> denied.

Dazman

RE: XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP
I've already done that as well, a number of times.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
> to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.

Dazman

RE: XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP
Yes they are all installed.

I hardwired my Vista laptop to the router and saw the connection on the XP
machine, but it said no clients active or something like that.

I don't have to logon to either computer.

It has to be something simple.

"oscar" wrote:

> Dazman,
>
> Thanks for the extra information.
>
> Look at these XP settings.
> My Network Places (on start menu) > View Network Connections > right click
> Local Area Connection > Properties > LAN Properties and:
>
> Check to see if these drivers/components are checked (enabled) or installed:
>
> 1) File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.
> 2) Client for Microsoft Networks
> 3) Network Monitor Driver
>

> Hope this helps…
>
> --
> oscar

Dazman

RE: XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP
Now when I click on the Xp computer under my Vista Network it asks for user
and password info. I think I enabled a service on the Xp computer, but my xp
computer doesn't require me to logon.

Any ideas??
Dazman

RE: XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP
SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to go into:

Administrative tools> Security Settings>Local Policies>Security Options. on
right and window select "Network Access:Sharing and security model for local
accounts" and select "Classic - local users authenticate as themselves."

Next was because my Windows XP logons automatically without a password,
which also affects remote desktop.

To correct this I did the following:

You can disable blank password restrictions by using a policy. To locate and
change this policy:
1. Click Start, point to Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK to start
the Group Policy Editor.
2. Open Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
Policies\Security Options\Accounts: Limit local account use of blank
passwords to console logon only.
3. Double-click Limit local account use of blank passwords to consol logon
only.
4. Click Disabled, and then click OK.
5. Quit Group Policy Editor.

I'm happy

SJAIN is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: XP access Vista but Vista can't access XP
I have two laptops at home having vista.I want to access the two with one broad band connection for different work.what to do?