Sharing a printer in XP to Vista

Sandoro is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sharing a printer in XP to Vista
I have a PC desktop running under Windows XP and a local printer connected Canon iP4300. To the PC in connected a [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]wireless[/color][/color] D-LINK DWA-140. This connects to a [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]router[/color][/color] Netgear DG834N (this is in another room).
My doughter got her first [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]notebook[/color][/color] Pachard Bell with wireless connection. Both conputers runs in internet without problems. Now we need to print by the notebook without connecting to the printer that is installed to the XP computer. I'd try many times to make to notebook (Vista) can see the printer, but without results. I must say that, following a Microsoft tutorial (Thecnet Library) and using another PC with Vista, I was able to share the printer. So teh problem is that the Notebook with Vista does'nt see the printer shared in Xp. On both the computers I have "CASA_SANDRO" workgroop, on the notebook with Vista I have a private network, Network discovery on, File sharing on, public folder sharing on (read only), Printer sharing off (no printer is connecte to the notebook USB), Password protected sharing off, media sharing off.
On the computer with Windows XP, to wich the printer is connected, I'd right click on the printer icon and shared with name.
The notebook does'nt find the PC with XP and the printer.
Wath is missing or mistake ?
Thank you to anybody can help me.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing a printer in XP to Vista
You may try to install the printer locally and re-map it as network printer.
Or this search result may help.
Vista Print Issues
Solved: Vista print Error 0x00000866 Resolution: 1. Add a Local
Printer and then create a new port pointing to the shared printer. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Sandoro" <Sandoro.3fy5se@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I have a PC desktop running under Windows XP and a local printer
> connected Canon iP4300. To the PC in connected a 'wireless'
> (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/#) D-LINK DWA-140. This connects to a
> 'router' (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/#) Netgear DG834N (this is in
> another room).
> My doughter got her first 'notebook'
> (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/#) Pachard Bell with wireless
> connection. Both conputers runs in internet without problems. Now we
> need to print by the notebook without connecting to the printer that is
> installed to the XP computer. I'd try many times to make to notebook
> (Vista) can see the printer, but without results. I must say that,
> following a Microsoft tutorial (Thecnet Library) and using another PC
> with Vista, I was able to share the printer. So teh problem is that the
> Notebook with Vista does'nt see the printer shared in Xp. On both the
> computers I have "CASA_SANDRO" workgroop, on the notebook with Vista I
> have a private network, Network discovery on, File sharing on, public
> folder sharing on (read only), Printer sharing off (no printer is
> connecte to the notebook USB), Password protected sharing off, media
> sharing off.
> On the computer with Windows XP, to wich the printer is connected, I'd
> right click on the printer icon and shared with name.
> The notebook does'nt find the PC with XP and the printer.
> Wath is missing or mistake ?
> Thank you to anybody can help me.
>

> --
> Sandoro

Sandoro is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Following this:

chicagotech.net :: View topic - Solved: Vista print Error 0x00000866

1. I have connected the printer to the Notebook USB (Vista)
2. The printer has been installed.

These are the next steps:

"From a DOS prompt (Type command in the "start search" section of the start menu) type this:
net use LPT# \\server\printer /persistent:yes
for me this was
net use LPT1 \\hppav\BROTHER_1240 / persistent:yes
substituting for #, server, and printer as appropriate for your network."

On witch computer have I to type this ?
What have I to substitute for # in my case ? Shall I write server ?
Is "printer" my printer name on XP computer ? (In control panel the name under the icon is "Canon iP4300"). On both computer the workgroop is CASA_SANDRO. In start, my computer, network the window is enpty in the notebook.

In the desktop (Win XP) under network, microsoft network, I have "Casa_sandro". Under Casa_sandro I have Athlon64 (desktop WinXP) and Pc-Roberta (my daughter notebook).

In the desktp (XP) The complete computer name is Athlon64 (control panel, Sustem, computer name). In the notebook is PC-Roberta.

In the Network and Sharing Center of the notebook (Vista) I have Private network, Network discovery On, File sharing On, Publc folder sharing On, printer sharing On, Password Off, Multimedia off.

In the notebook firewall I have "shared files and printer" On. In the desk top both the share file and printer and desktp are on. (hope the translation is not mistaken as both windows are in Italian).

I'll be so glad is somebody could tell me step by step what to do in each computer as I am very confused. I'd try to share the C: hard disk in the desktop, but the notebook on Vista cannot find it.

Last edited by Sandoro : 09-20-2008 at 10:02.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing a printer in XP to Vista
1. Most cases, LTP1 should work.
2. to find the out the server name and printer name, on the computer
connecting to the printer run this command: net share. You also use the ip
address, for example: net use LPT1 \\192.168.0.1\Casa_sandro.

--
"Sandoro" <Sandoro.3g13ce@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Following this:
>
> 'chicagotech.net :: View topic - Solved: Vista print Error 0x00000866'
> (http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1263)
>
> 1. I have connected the printer to the Notebook USB (Vista)
> 2. The printer has been installed.
>
> These are the next steps:
>
> -"From a DOS prompt (Type command in the "start search" section of the
> start menu) type this:
> net use LPT# \\server\printer /persistent:yes
> for me this was
> net use LPT1 \\hppav\BROTHER_1240 / persistent:yes
> substituting for #, server, and printer as appropriate for your
> network."-
>
> *On witch computer have I to type this ?
> What have I to substitute for # in my case ? Shall I write server ?
> Is "printer" my printer name on XP computer ? (In control panel the
> name under the icon is "Canon iP4300"). On both computer the workgroop
> is CASA_SANDRO. In start, my computer, network the window is enpty in
> the notebook.
>
> In the desktop (Win XP) under network, microsoft network, I have
> "Casa_sandro". Under Casa_sandro I have Athlon64 (desktop WinXP) and
> Pc-Roberta (my daughter notebook).
>
> In the desktp (XP) The complete computer name is Athlon64 (control
> panel, Sustem, computer name). In the notebook is PC-Roberta.
>
> In the Network and Sharing Center of the notebook (Vista) I have
> Private network, Network discovery On, File sharing On, Publc folder
> sharing On, printer sharing On, Password Off, Multimedia off.
>
> I'll be so glad is somebody could tell me step by step what to do in
> each computer as I am very confused. I'd try to share the C: hard disk
> in the desktop, but the notebook on Vista cannot find it.
> *
>

> --
> Sandoro

Sandoro is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sharing a printer in XP to Vista
Sorry no results. I must say: in Start, Coputer if I click on Network I get 2 icons "Netgear DG834N Router" and "PC-ROBERTA" that is the notebook itself. I do not have "CASA_SANDRO" or "Athlon64", that I can see in network of the destop (Win XP) where the printer is shared.

I have shared a folder too, but the notebook cannot find it.

The firwall seems ok (exception on share files and priters).

I have added the printer as local printer on the notebook, but the remapping doesn't work: Prompt as administrator, net use LPT1 \\Athlon64\CanoniP4300 /persistent:yes. The answer is: sistem error 66. Mistaken kind of network resource. Then I only get a copy of the printer installed locally, that doen't send to the printer. In printer propieties, ports I find checked the LPT1 Port and the printer is "CanoniP4300(Copia 1). Canon iP4300".

The printer connected to the notebook USB works fine. Did not like to Microsoft that the new Vista owner could connect to their old XP computers ?

Last edited by Sandoro : 09-21-2008 at 17:45.

Sandoro is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Sharing a printer in XP to Vista
Hi to all who may help,

cheking in the Norton 360 setup, I found many items in firewall rules. I did allow all the exceptions except the Microsoft Windows 2000 SMB and, incedible, the notebook could find the printer. Really I did not know that norton 360 has the firewall.

Thank you to every body.

Ciao, Alessandro.