Vista steps on DHCP server

xrbbaker

Vista steps on DHCP server
I have a Small Biz server 2000 that I recently moved from my office network
to my home. My home network has a Vista Home Premium machine on it.
UNfortunately I found out I can't join the Domain with this OS. Anyway, my
Domain Controller has DHCP running on it, but every time I start it, it fails
right away and I get this msg in the log:

The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered another
server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.0.20, belonging to the
domain: .

192.168.0.20 is my Vista machine, which is part of a workgroup. I'm not a
network guy but to me it seems my DC thinks my Vista machine is really
another DHCP server and as such it shuts itself down. I disabled my Vista
Broadcast flag as per one suggestion but that doesn't work.

I then hardcoded all the IP addresses on all the machines and thought my
problems went away. They all work now, but now I'm having problems getting
my Backup Exec to work. Seems it can't find the NAS on the network. I have
the NAS IP @ hardcoded. Maybe Backupexec needs the DHCP someway? I"m out of
my element here but I'd like to get the DHCP running so that I can at least
eliminate the possibiilty that is my problem.

Please help. thx - Russ
xrbbaker

RE: Vista steps on DHCP server
FOUND IT!

My vista machine had an old network connection setup that has Internet
Connection Sharing turned on. For some reason that ICS was stepping on my DC
DHCP. ONce I deleted the old connection setup, and let my Vista machine go
through a standard connection without ICS, my DC DCHP started working fine.
That in turn allowed my Backupexec to find the NAS and the job now works.

Sorry for the firedrill. I've been working on this for days and guess I was
closer than I thought to solving it.

thx

"xrbbaker" wrote:

> I have a Small Biz server 2000 that I recently moved from my office network
> to my home. My home network has a Vista Home Premium machine on it.
> UNfortunately I found out I can't join the Domain with this OS. Anyway, my
> Domain Controller has DHCP running on it, but every time I start it, it fails
> right away and I get this msg in the log:
>
> The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered another
> server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.0.20, belonging to the
> domain: .
>
> 192.168.0.20 is my Vista machine, which is part of a workgroup. I'm not a
> network guy but to me it seems my DC thinks my Vista machine is really
> another DHCP server and as such it shuts itself down. I disabled my Vista
> Broadcast flag as per one suggestion but that doesn't work.
>
> I then hardcoded all the IP addresses on all the machines and thought my
> problems went away. They all work now, but now I'm having problems getting
> my Backup Exec to work. Seems it can't find the NAS on the network. I have
> the NAS IP @ hardcoded. Maybe Backupexec needs the DHCP someway? I"m out of
> my element here but I'd like to get the DHCP running so that I can at least
> eliminate the possibiilty that is my problem.
>
> Please help. thx - Russ

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista steps on DHCP server
Thank you for the update.