Networking result not as expected

tempgal

Networking result not as expected
Hi, All --

I have a new Vista laptop that I would like to connect to the network at
work. While I am the administrator of the network, that is only because I
am more knowledgeable than my boss, but my networking skills are by no means
on a professional level. I usually experiment with my home network until I
get the desired result, then apply it at work.

Equipment is as follows:

Desktop computers with XP Pro. The desktops are connected to the Internet
and a separate server via a hub.
The modem/router connected to the server is a Netopia 3347NWG.
The network is not configured for a static IP.
The existing network requires that each user login.
The existing network uses only Windows Firewall and AVG anti-virus -- no
third-party Internet security programs.
There are no problems with the existing network.

The new laptop computer is an HP DV4t, with Vista x64 Home Premium.
Norton Internet Security is installed and active.
UAC is currently turned off.

Problem #1 - (Both on home network and office network) No Login

I have everything working properly in my home network except that I do not
get a login screen when I connect the new Vista laptop to the home network.
When I connect my older laptop with XP Home to my home network, I am
required to login to access files. Not having to login at home is not a big
problem, but I am not comfortable with the absence of a login on the office
network. How do I cause a login screen to appear?

Problem #2 - (Office network only) Not seeing all of the computers.

There is a server and three other desktops. When I successfully connect to
the network, I have Internet access but am only able to see one of the other
computers. On that one, I see everything that is shared with just a
double-click, no login.

My primary objective is to be able to see the files on the server. Second,
as the administrator, I need to be able to see all the other computers on
the network. Third, I want anyone who uses the network to be required to
login as we may soon be using some temporary staff.

LLTD (?)

I read somewhere that XP machines need LLTD installed in order to be seen by
Vista. I downloaded LLTD but when I attempted to install it, a message
appeared saying that it was unnecessary because I had SP3. I don't have SP3
on my home computer but can view the resources on that with no problem. Is
there something in LLTD that must be turned off or on?

Would appreciate it if someone could tell me what I have overlooked. If you
think it pertains to Norton Internet Security, please give me instructions
in "baby steps" because no documentation came with the program and I have no
experience with any firewall except the one in Windows XP Pro.

Thanks, Folks.

Zan

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Networking result not as expected
Make sure you have assigned password to the user and "Users must enter a
user name and password
to use this computer" is checked. More information can be found this link.

Vista Logon
http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistalogon.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE