Can a folder be shared without being administrator?

Rodrigo Monteiro

Can a folder be shared without being administrator?
Greetings,

in our AD2003 domain, we are now installing Vista computers for our users.
The users are all in the Power User group.
We usually created a folder for each person on each computer (ex: C:\JDOE)
which then becomes the Documents folders.

Now, problem is, users can't share folders inside that C:\JDOE (or anywhere
else it seems), without being computer administrators. When they try to
share, an elevated privilege window pops up, asking for a user and password
of someone with admin authority.

I checked, and they have full control on the folders they try to share.
I also read somewhere that people wanting to share folders, must be in a
"group" which allows them to share folders. Is this so? Is there a group
policy which can enable sharing by less powerful groups?

Thanks in advance.

Rodrigo Monteiro
oscar

RE: Can a folder be shared without being administrator?
Vista will not allow standard users to set global attributes. Administrative
permission is needed to share files on a network.
--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"Rodrigo Monteiro" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> in our AD2003 domain, we are now installing Vista computers for our users.
> The users are all in the Power User group.
> We usually created a folder for each person on each computer (ex: C:\JDOE)
> which then becomes the Documents folders.
>
> Now, problem is, users can't share folders inside that C:\JDOE (or anywhere
> else it seems), without being computer administrators. When they try to
> share, an elevated privilege window pops up, asking for a user and password
> of someone with admin authority.
>
> I checked, and they have full control on the folders they try to share.
> I also read somewhere that people wanting to share folders, must be in a
> "group" which allows them to share folders. Is this so? Is there a group
> policy which can enable sharing by less powerful groups?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rodrigo Monteiro

Rodrigo Monteiro

RE: Can a folder be shared without being administrator?
Thanks I guess I have to find out how to rollout the Public Share.

"oscar" wrote:

> Vista will not allow standard users to set global attributes. Administrative
> permission is needed to share files on a network.
> --
> oscar
>
> ...Right click is your very good friend...
>

> "Rodrigo Monteiro" wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > in our AD2003 domain, we are now installing Vista computers for our users.
> > The users are all in the Power User group.
> > We usually created a folder for each person on each computer (ex: C:\JDOE)
> > which then becomes the Documents folders.
> >
> > Now, problem is, users can't share folders inside that C:\JDOE (or anywhere
> > else it seems), without being computer administrators. When they try to
> > share, an elevated privilege window pops up, asking for a user and password
> > of someone with admin authority.
> >
> > I checked, and they have full control on the folders they try to share.
> > I also read somewhere that people wanting to share folders, must be in a
> > "group" which allows them to share folders. Is this so? Is there a group
> > policy which can enable sharing by less powerful groups?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Rodrigo Monteiro

+Bob+

Re: Can a folder be shared without being administrator?
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:46:06 -0700, Rodrigo Monteiro
<RodrigoMonteiro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks I guess I have to find out how to rollout the Public Share.
>
>"oscar" wrote:
>
>> Vista will not allow standard users to set global attributes. Administrative
>> permission is needed to share files on a network.

The Admin should be able to set up a share that the users can use. In
other words, the admin on Joe's machine can make c:\joe sharable. Then
joe should be able to use it.

A better alternative would be to set up share areas on the server and
not have any shares on the clients. Users then drop files on the
server if they wish to share them.

oscar

RE: Can a folder be shared without being administrator?
I just want to clear up what I had posted the other day. Once the
Administrator allows a file to be shared then the file can be shared by any
user whom the Administrator gave permissions for sharing that file. Bottom
line is that an Administrator has to give a folder or file the initial share
permissions.
--

"Rodrigo Monteiro" wrote:

> Thanks I guess I have to find out how to rollout the Public Share.
>
> "oscar" wrote:
>
> > Vista will not allow standard users to set global attributes. Administrative
> > permission is needed to share files on a network.
> > --
> > oscar
> >
> > ...Right click is your very good friend...
> >

> > "Rodrigo Monteiro" wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > in our AD2003 domain, we are now installing Vista computers for our users.
> > > The users are all in the Power User group.
> > > We usually created a folder for each person on each computer (ex: C:\JDOE)
> > > which then becomes the Documents folders.
> > >
> > > Now, problem is, users can't share folders inside that C:\JDOE (or anywhere
> > > else it seems), without being computer administrators. When they try to
> > > share, an elevated privilege window pops up, asking for a user and password
> > > of someone with admin authority.
> > >
> > > I checked, and they have full control on the folders they try to share.
> > > I also read somewhere that people wanting to share folders, must be in a
> > > "group" which allows them to share folders. Is this so? Is there a group
> > > policy which can enable sharing by less powerful groups?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Rodrigo Monteiro

Rodrigo Monteiro

Re: Can a folder be shared without being administrator?
Yes, we already had the server being used as a back share, now it will become
the main share for users.

Thanks for all the info, everyone.