Access denied to root on Vista from XP

Kim

Access denied to root on Vista from XP
I've tried all the various suggestion for setting permission for the root
drive in vista, but still only get the see shared folder in the root C drive
via the XP PC. I get access denied and check permissions. I need full
visibility of Vista C drive. Nothing seen to work!

help please.
Gordon

Re: Access denied to root on Vista from XP
"Kim" <Kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've tried all the various suggestion for setting permission for the root
> drive in vista, but still only get the see shared folder in the root C
> drive
> via the XP PC. I get access denied and check permissions. I need full
> visibility of Vista C drive. Nothing seen to work!
>
> help please.

May I ask what you are trying to achieve by having full visibility of the C
root in the first place?

Kim

Re: Access denied to root on Vista from XP
I constantly move files around the home network, and need access to operating
system from different PC and is much easier to have full visibility

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Kim" <Kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've tried all the various suggestion for setting permission for the root
> > drive in vista, but still only get the see shared folder in the root C
> > drive
> > via the XP PC. I get access denied and check permissions. I need full
> > visibility of Vista C drive. Nothing seen to work!
> >
> > help please.

> May I ask what you are trying to achieve by having full visibility of the C
> root in the first place?

Mick Murphy

Re: Access denied to root on Vista from XP
You can not access Vista's root Drive
--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"Kim" wrote:

> I constantly move files around the home network, and need access to operating
> system from different PC and is much easier to have full visibility
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
> > "Kim" <Kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've tried all the various suggestion for setting permission for the root
> > > drive in vista, but still only get the see shared folder in the root C
> > > drive
> > > via the XP PC. I get access denied and check permissions. I need full
> > > visibility of Vista C drive. Nothing seen to work!
> > >
> > > help please.

> > May I ask what you are trying to achieve by having full visibility of the C
> > root in the first place?

Kim

Re: Access denied to root on Vista from XP
you mean that you HAVE to place all folders in the shared folder and remember
to add new one as you make them. This don't make sence.

>I constantly move files around the home network, and need access to
>operating
> system from different PC and is much easier to have full visibility

Presumably you are talking data files. So why, again, do you need access to
the ROOT of C? I cannot see any possible reason for access to the ROOT just
for moving files around...

> you mean that you HAVE to place all folders in the shared folder and
> remember
> to add new one as you make them. This don't make sence.

No, you can create a folder anywhere you like and share it - all the
subfolders will be shared as well. just don't put individual files on the
root of C....

DDW

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> just don't put individual files on the root of C....

Pray tell, why not? It certainly can't hurt anything.

DDW
No email please

"DDW" <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>

>> just don't put individual files on the root of C....

> Pray tell, why not? It certainly can't hurt anything.

Well apparently, and I only offer this as a possible reason why you can't,
one function of User Account Control (UAC) and the
ACL on the root of the drive permits only Administrators and System
from writing files to the root of the drive. UAC means that even if you are
member of the Administrator's group you do not run as an administrator
unless
you elevate.

DDW

Re: Access denied to root on Vista from XP
"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>"DDW" <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>news:eknuc4pdqu17idfp6uumm4et63dek1ps9a@4ax.com.. .
>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>> just don't put individual files on the root of C....

>> Pray tell, why not? It certainly can't hurt anything.
>>

>Well apparently, and I only offer this as a possible reason why you can't,
>one function of User Account Control (UAC) and the
>ACL on the root of the drive permits only Administrators and System
>from writing files to the root of the drive. UAC means that even if you are
>member of the Administrator's group you do not run as an administrator
>unless
>you elevate.

I have UAC off. I can do what I please in the root - and do.

DDW
No email please