The dependency service or group failed to start

Roolet is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The dependency service or group failed to start
You'll probably think I shouldn't complain about this, because my Dell Vosto laptop connects perfectly via my Netgear router. But the icon in the System Tray has a red cross through it, and the message it displays is: Connection Status Unknown: The Dependency Service or Group Failed to Start.

I use Trend Micro Internet Security for anti-virus and firewall, so tried turning them off. Still no good. I've gone into the Network and Sharing Center, where it says Network Discovery and File Sharing are both switched off. When I try to switch them on I merely get the same message (The Dependency Service or Group Failed to Start).

So: how do I start them? Or do I just say what the hell, at least I'm connected?
vanilla

Re: The dependency service or group failed to start
If you are a home user in the United States, go to Trend Micro Home User
Support ...

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...o?locale=en_US

On that page, in a yellow box, you will see a link about the detection of a
trojan ... follow that and see if it gives you any help ... it did not help
me. I had already clicked on the message box that said to delete the
"infected" files, which, upon restart, promptly deleted my NLA Service
(among other things). I started getting the same thing you did ...
dependency failed to start ... fortunately for me, I was just about to
install Service Pack 1 and Windows Update was still working ... how, I have
no idea, but it did. When Service Pack 1 completed installation, all was
well.

Good luck to you ... vanilla

"Roolet" <Roolet.3fsg8e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> You'll probably think I shouldn't complain about this, because my Dell
> Vosto laptop connects perfectly via my Netgear router. But the icon in
> the System Tray has a red cross through it, and the message it displays
> is: Connection Status Unknown: The Dependency Service or Group Failed to
> Start.
>
> I use Trend Micro Internet Security for anti-virus and firewall, so
> tried turning them off. Still no good. I've gone into the Network and
> Sharing Center, where it says Network Discovery and File Sharing are
> both switched off. When I try to switch them on I merely get the same
> message (The Dependency Service or Group Failed to Start).
>
> So: how do I start them? Or do I just say what the hell, at least I'm
> connected?
>

> --
> Roolet

Roolet is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that. I don't have any quarantined filed available to be restored through Trend Micro, so I probably deleted them, like you. I'll have a look at SP1. All best.

rbatrack is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Re: The dependency service or group failed to start
I had the same issue and as it is a corrupt TCP/IP Stack

To fix, you will need to run a command prompt as administrator

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (Right-Click and Run as Administrator)

At the command Prompt type : netsh winsock reset

Ignore all errors, restart your computer and networking should work
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rbatrack For This Useful Post:
BarryJG

rbatrack;4691400 Wrote:
> I had the same issue and as it is a corrupt TCP/IP Stack
>
> To fix, you will need to run a command prompt as administrator
>
> Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (Right-Click and
> Run as Administrator)
>
> At the command Prompt type : netsh winsock reset
>
> Ignore all errors, restart your computer and networking should work

I'm replying to an old posting, but I want to thank Rbatrack for his
solution to the problem. The wireless connection on my Gateway laptop
with Windows Vista operating system was red x'd out and I got the same
message "The dependency service or group failed to start". When I tried
connect I kept getting the message "Start DHCP client Service". But it
wouldn't start. I was thinking I might have to reinstall Windows. I
did a search on "dependency service or group failed to start" and along
with several other links that didn't help, I found this topic on this
forum.
I tried the solution above from Rbatrack and it worked! I'm connected!

--
BarryJG
BarryJG's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/219330.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

JenniferG is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The dependency service or group failed to start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roolet View Post
Still no good. I've gone into the Network and Sharing Center, where it says Network Discovery and File Sharing are both switched off. When I try to switch them on I merely get the same message (The Dependency Service or Group Failed to Start).

So: how do I start them? Or do I just say what the hell, at least I'm connected?
I know this is an old post, but like me someone may be googling for answers on the same issue, so I'll post my solution.

Go into administrative tools / event viewer / windows logs / system and look for errors, alot of the time the guilty service/ dependency will be listed that you may have disabled.

In my case it was the base filtering engine preventing me from turning off network discovery.

bernstine is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The dependency service or group failed to start
Thanks so much. This worked for me on my Elitebook 8540w running Vista. Our power went out and I shutdown my puter and upon restarting, I had this problem and error message. No wireless, no bluetooth, no nuttin'. Kinda freaked me out. This solution worked like a charm!

whammock is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The dependency service or group failed to start
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatrack View Post
I had the same issue and as it is a corrupt TCP/IP Stack

To fix, you will need to run a command prompt as administrator

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (Right-Click and Run as Administrator)

At the command Prompt type : netsh winsock reset

Ignore all errors, restart your computer and networking should work
rbatrack you r the best i googled a bunch of crap for this same problem then i found vistaheads and your post 30 secs and i was back online!!!! you have no idea how much i thank you lol!! so thanks again