Windows 2003 DC disappeared from netwwork view

Larry Heimendinger

Windows 2003 DC disappeared from netwwork view
My DC rebooted after an auto update a few nights ago and has now disappeared
in the network map from all Vista machines on the domain. However, shares
mapped to the DC still work, but browsing does not since the machine no
longer is visible.

Interestingly, none of the Vista machines appear in Network Neighborhood on
the DC either.

Any ideas on this? Probably will turn out to be a group policy or other
domain setting issue, but giving it a shot here.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Windows 2003 DC disappeared from netwwork view
Any errors in the DC event viewer? We may want to use browstat to
troubleshoot it.

Computer BrowserYou may try to use browstat.exe from NT resource kit to
check the master browser status. Or stop computer browser on w2k/xp. ...
www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> My DC rebooted after an auto update a few nights ago and has now
> disappeared
> in the network map from all Vista machines on the domain. However, shares
> mapped to the DC still work, but browsing does not since the machine no
> longer is visible.
>
> Interestingly, none of the Vista machines appear in Network Neighborhood
> on
> the DC either.
>
> Any ideas on this? Probably will turn out to be a group policy or other
> domain setting issue, but giving it a shot here.

Larry Heimendinger

Re: Windows 2003 DC disappeared from netwwork view
No event log entries of interest. Restarted browser on DC, no change.

I did note something I missed before. Network Neighborhood on the DC no
longer even shows itself, never mind the Vista computers. Vista computers
show each other and other network devices, but no DC.