Failed to connect to a windows service

Torbjørn Pettersen

Failed to connect to a windows service
Running Vista Basic and get this error message on startup.

"Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service
service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on o the
system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log
for details about why the service didn't respond."

Can't start the Event Viewer as it says the Event Log service is
unavailable.

Checking Services it is listing System Event Notification Service and
DHCP Service as starting, and IP Helper as stopping.

Googling hasn't given me any solution to this problem, can anyone here
help me with this?

Cheers,
Torbjørn
Torbjørn Pettersen

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service
*bump*

I'm still stuck with this problem, isn't there anyone that can
provide any clues as to what is wrong?

Cheers,
Torbjørn

Torbjørn Pettersen wrote:
> Running Vista Basic and get this error message on startup.
>
> "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service
> service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on o the
> system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log
> for details about why the service didn't respond."
>

> Can't start the Event Viewer as it says the Event Log service is
> unavailable.
>
> Checking Services it is listing System Event Notification Service and
> DHCP Service as starting, and IP Helper as stopping.
>
> Googling hasn't given me any solution to this problem, can anyone here
> help me with this?
>
> Cheers,
> Torbjørn

prrrao

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

I am also facing similar problem. Details are given below. Can anyone
provide solution.
::*_Problem:__*Internet can not be assessed either through WLAN or
Cable.::
::OS: Vista::
*_::_::_*
*_::1._Error_message_at_switching_on::_*
::_Failed_to_connect_to_a_Window_Service_::
::Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service
service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the
system. As an administrator user, you can review the System Event Log
for details about why the service didn't respond.::
:: ::
*_::2._Error_message_at_checking_“Event_Log”::_*
::\"_Event_log_Service_unavailable\\"_::
*_::_::_*
::*_3._While_trying_to_start_service_*::
::The status of System Event Notification Service is *_Starting._* This
service won’t start by right clicking.::
:: ::
*_::4._Error_message:_On_checking_“Dell_Wireless_W LAN_Card_Utility”_in_Control_Panel.::_*
::There are currently no wireless adapters available and enabled.::
::Please enable any available adapters before accessing this
configuration utility.::
:: ::
::5.
*_Error_message:_On_checking_“Network_and_Sharing_ Center”_in_Control_Panel._*::
::Unknown::
::The dependency service or group failed to start.::
:: ::
*_::6._Error_message:_On_furhter_attempting_to_Dia gnose_and_repair.::_*
::Windows Network Diagnostics.::
::There might be a problem with one or more network adapters on this
computer.::
:: 3 Options generated::
:a)Plug a cable into the network adapter \"Local Area Connection\"::
:b) Restart the DHCP client service.::
:c) Start Windows Wireless Service.::
:: ::
*_::7._Error_message:_After_using_Option_(b)_above .::_*
::Chose another repair option.::
:: ::
*_::8._Error_message:_After_using_Option_(c)_above .::_*
::Chose another repair option. i.e. (a)::
:: ::
*_::9._Error_message:_After_trying_to_\\"Connect_t o_Network\\"::_*
::Windows cannot find any networks.::
:: ::
*_
_*
*_::10._Error_message:_After_using_Option_\\"Set_u p_a_connection_or_network\\"_in_9_above.::_*
::Wizard Error Message::
::Component GUID: {7071ECA3-4BC1-A1FA-B97F3B917C55}::
::Component file: [D:\Windows\system32\connect.dll]::
::Error: (0x8007277B)<The error message could not be found>::
::Additional info:::
::Failed to detect Internet connectivity::
:: ::
*_::11._Error_message:_On_attempting_to_start_DHCP _\\"service\\"::_*
::Windows could not start the DHCP Client service on Local Computer.::
::Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from
the account specified for other services running in the same process.::
:: ::
*_::12._Error_message:_On_attempting_to_reload_Vis ta_OS.::_*
::Install Windows.::
::Windows could not load required file WinSetup.dll. The file may be
corrupt. To install Windows, restart the installation. Error code:
0x45A.::
:: ::
::*_13._Unistalled_Ethernet_device_and_WLAN_system _and_reinstalled_*:
Problem still persists. ::
PRR Rao

--
prrrao
Fuzawuza

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

start-> type "services.msc" -> enter -> continue on the sec prompt.
check that no services are disabled, try to manually run them. otherwise
try a repair using the install disk

--
Fuzawuza
prrrao

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

I tried that. DHCP service while trying to start gives following Error
message. "Windows could not start the DHCP Client service on Local
Computer.Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different
from the account specified for other services running in the same
process."
To repair that my original Vista DVD does not work. Kindly give
directions to repair using DVD.

--
prrrao
Fuzawuza

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

to repair using a DVD use this guide 'How to automatically repair
Windows Vista using Startup Repair'
(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html).
i would recomend trying the repair startup otion first, system restore
will help if you can take it back to before you had these problems, just
need to remeber when they started.

Without a dvd if vista came preinstalled there is probably a recovery
partition if you have a quick look in the manual it should tell what key
to press to get into this, careful not to overrite your system you only
want to run a repair. otherwise youl have to download an image and burn
it to a dvd.

--
Fuzawuza
prrrao

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

Thanks for guide. I could go to the stage of Repair. It did some repair
but my problem still persists. System restore was not available so it
did not work. However I did activate system restore now.
Any other run command to resolve it? I am not sure if DHCP service
which is not apparently working in 'SEVICES' is affecting it.

--
prrrao
Fuzawuza

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

The DHCP service is used by your computer to get an ip adress, so you
should not have any internet or network connectivity.
How long have you had the problem?
and what version of windows have you got?

--
Fuzawuza
prrrao

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

My OS is Vista Home Premium. This problem started since 08 Sep 08when I
was trying to add driver of a modem, which I uninstalled soon after it
failed to load. In turn it apparently corrupted some network settings
only.
Since DHCP was not working I manually fed IP address and gateway and
DNS. I got connected to Internet. I got following advice from some
friend to start DHCP and it actually worked.
"Type Services.msc in Start, Run dialog.
Locate and double-click the Remote Registry service from the list Click
the Log On tab
In the account text box, type in NT AUTHORITY\LocalService
Set both the Password fields blank
Click Apply, OK
Restart Windows and set the Remote Registry service to Automatic or
Manual, and then start the service.
Following the example above I set the account to “Network
Service”, tried to start the service, still failed, set it back to
“LocalService” and the service started right up. Basically
it needed to be turned off (settings change) and then turned back on."
No further problems.

--
prrrao
prrrao

Re: Failed to connect to a windows service

I must like to thank Fuzawuza for taking so much interest and giving
really fast replies. Atleast it kept me going to work on it seek help
for it.

--
prrrao