One more try at file sharing between Vista machines

Warren

One more try at file sharing between Vista machines
I've asked before without much luck. I can't be totally stupid because both
my Vista laptops have no problem reading files from my Win98SE PC. But for
some silly reason I can't get either Vista laptop to browse and read each
other's Public folder. Now if anything, that should be a no-brainer,
sharing files between Vista machines, but it isn't.

I have a Vista x32, Vista x64 and Win98SE machine on the same LAN. All
machines have the same Workgroup name, Network name, User account names ,
with passwords. Both File sharing and Public folder sharing are active and
the Public folders are shared, with full control user permissives.

I don't understand, Ive thrown everything at but I can't share files. I
can ping eah computer from any other computer.

Help appreciated.

SIW2

Re: One more try at file sharing between Vista machines

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're having this trouble

It's got to be worth carefully double checking all the steps here

'File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx)

Hope this helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Mick Murphy

RE: One more try at file sharing between Vista machines
Also, if using Norton, etc, check to see if its Firewall allows LAN or File
Sharing in its exceptions.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"Warren" wrote:

> I've asked before without much luck. I can't be totally stupid because both
> my Vista laptops have no problem reading files from my Win98SE PC. But for
> some silly reason I can't get either Vista laptop to browse and read each
> other's Public folder. Now if anything, that should be a no-brainer,
> sharing files between Vista machines, but it isn't.
>
> I have a Vista x32, Vista x64 and Win98SE machine on the same LAN. All
> machines have the same Workgroup name, Network name, User account names ,
> with passwords. Both File sharing and Public folder sharing are active and
> the Public folders are shared, with full control user permissives.
>
> I don't understand, Ive thrown everything at but I can't share files. I
> can ping eah computer from any other computer.
>
> Help appreciated.

Warren

Re: One more try at file sharing between Vista machines
Well I read everything thoroughly and even started using passwords. This is
ridiculous to make networking so hard. Why doesn't Microsoft issue a
Service Pack to simplify this networking. I'd bet money that nobody can
make my LAN work properly, I think MS has buggerred up networking
completely. The only think that works is Internet access. I'm pissed off
with MS. The only hope I can see is to try a "certified for Windows Vista"
router, but I have my doubts, since a "Works with Windows Vista" router made
communication worse, not better.

"SIW2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Sorry to hear you're having this trouble
>
> It's got to be worth carefully double checking all the steps here
>
> 'File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista'
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx)
>

> Hope this helps
>
> SIW2
>

> --
> SIW2

Warren

Re: One more try at file sharing between Vista machines
No Norton here, just Windows firewall with file sharing allowed.

> Also, if using Norton, etc, check to see if its Firewall allows LAN or
> File
> Sharing in its exceptions.
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia
>

> "Warren" wrote:
>
>> I've asked before without much luck. I can't be totally stupid because
>> both
>> my Vista laptops have no problem reading files from my Win98SE PC. But
>> for
>> some silly reason I can't get either Vista laptop to browse and read each
>> other's Public folder. Now if anything, that should be a no-brainer,
>> sharing files between Vista machines, but it isn't.
>>
>> I have a Vista x32, Vista x64 and Win98SE machine on the same LAN. All
>> machines have the same Workgroup name, Network name, User account names
>> ,
>> with passwords. Both File sharing and Public folder sharing are active
>> and
>> the Public folders are shared, with full control user permissives.
>>
>> I don't understand, Ive thrown everything at but I can't share files. I
>> can ping eah computer from any other computer.
>>
>> Help appreciated.

oscar

Re: One more try at file sharing between Vista machines
Sorry to hear about your network frustrations. Giving folder or file
permissions to "EVERYONE" in the Vista File Sharing wizard (Choosing people
to share with) should give permissions of file sharing to every computer
that is on the home network.
--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"Warren" wrote:

> No Norton here, just Windows firewall with file sharing allowed.
>

> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Also, if using Norton, etc, check to see if its Firewall allows LAN or
> > File
> > Sharing in its exceptions.
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia
> >

> > "Warren" wrote:
> >
> >> I've asked before without much luck. I can't be totally stupid because
> >> both
> >> my Vista laptops have no problem reading files from my Win98SE PC. But
> >> for
> >> some silly reason I can't get either Vista laptop to browse and read each
> >> other's Public folder. Now if anything, that should be a no-brainer,
> >> sharing files between Vista machines, but it isn't.
> >>
> >> I have a Vista x32, Vista x64 and Win98SE machine on the same LAN. All
> >> machines have the same Workgroup name, Network name, User account names
> >> ,
> >> with passwords. Both File sharing and Public folder sharing are active
> >> and
> >> the Public folders are shared, with full control user permissives.
> >>
> >> I don't understand, Ive thrown everything at but I can't share files. I
> >> can ping eah computer from any other computer.
> >>
> >> Help appreciated.

Warren

Re: One more try at file sharing between Vista machines
Done, but still nothing. I can't believe this so hard to troubleshoot,
there seem to be no clues. File sharing just doesn't work.

"oscar" <oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry to hear about your network frustrations. Giving folder or file
> permissions to "EVERYONE" in the Vista File Sharing wizard (Choosing
> people
> to share with) should give permissions of file sharing to every computer
> that is on the home network.
> --
> oscar
>
> ...Right click is your very good friend...
>

> "Warren" wrote:
>
>> No Norton here, just Windows firewall with file sharing allowed.
>>

>> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Also, if using Norton, etc, check to see if its Firewall allows LAN or
>> > File
>> > Sharing in its exceptions.
>> > --
>> > Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

oscar

Re: One more try at file sharing between Vista machines
Hi Warren,
I agree with you. It shouldn't be that hard. I remember my first time
setting a home network, the initial problem was that Vista could see the
computers but XP couldn't see Vista. Solution: I had started from scratch-
running Vista's Network and Sharing and then the XP's Network wizard. Once
the XP's and Vista could "see" each other on the networks I then went to the
files and set the Sharing attributes.

About twice in the past 3 months, Vista couldn't see the XP's. The solution:
I rebooted Vista. Vista then saw the XP's. I think the cause of those two
problems was that Vista had come out of a very long hibernate state.

I wish you well on this problem. If you find the fix I'd be curious to know
what it was. Just post back here.