sharing windows mail and synchronizing

cdlsrn

sharing windows mail and synchronizing
I have a new Dell xps 420. I have a 750GB hd for Operating system, and a 1IB
drive partitioned with E = documents windows mail with newsgroups and
contacts, favorites
F= Music G= pictures H= videos I = 1tb external backup drive

I just got a HP Pavilion dv7t-100 laptop. It has 2 - 250 gb hard drives. I
would like to share and synchronize Windows Mail and eventually the
computers. But first things first.

I put my contacts into a sharing folder via Live Messenger and sent it to
the laptop. It is now on the laptop as C:\users\ginnyrn\contacts\contacts.In
Windows Mail when I open contacts, it opens the folder that has a folder in
it called contacts and then I have to click on that to see the contacts. I
have 3 identities that I am successfully receiving mail from but the mail
stays in whichever computer I open it in. Can someone please tell me.
I have an internet connection with a Linksys wrt600n router. I am running
Win Vista Ultimate on the desktop and Home Premium on the laptop.

#1 - how do I get rid of the double contacts\contacts?
#2 - should I partition this computer? If so how do I do it with the 2 -
250gb hard drives?
#3 - can I get the mail into synchronization before I tackle the rest of the
computer?
#4 - should I upgrade the laptop to Vista Ultimate?
#5 = whatever you can tell me to help before I get this new machine in
trouble Thank you

Galen

Re: sharing windows mail and synchronizing
My reply is at the bottom of your sent message.

In news:%23ysUjagFJHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
cdlsrn <no spam @nospam.com> typed:

> #3 - can I get the mail into synchronization before I tackle the rest of
> the
> computer?

I'll touch on that one - do a search for IMAP (an email protocol that I
personally feel is better than POP3) and if your email provider allows that
then use it. It basically communicates with the server quite frequently so
that when you've read it on one machine it appears (but also appears as
having been read) on the other machine. No trickery, no hassles, and these
days we all have bandwidth enough to be able to afford the small overhead.

--
Galen (Not Current MS-MVP)

My Geek Site: http://kgiii.info
Web Hosting: http://whathostingshould.be

"In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason
backwards. That is a very useful accomplishment, and a
very easy one, but people do not practise it much. In the every-day affairs
of life it is more useful to reason forwards, and so
the other comes to be neglected. There are fifty who can reason
synthetically for one who can reason analytically." - Sherlock
Holmes

Gary VanderMolen

Re: sharing windows mail and synchronizing
1. The only way you can share contacts and keep them synced
is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail (WLM) on both computers.
WLM uses a Hotmail account as the middleman for syncing.

2. Not a mail question, thus off-topic here.

3. POP accounts can't be synced. You would have to switch
to IMAP accounts.

4. I have both Ultimate and Home Premium on separate Vista
computers, and I can't tell the difference.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"cdlsrn" <no spam @nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23ysUjagFJHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I have a new Dell xps 420. I have a 750GB hd for Operating system, and a 1IB
> drive partitioned with E = documents windows mail with newsgroups and
> contacts, favorites
> F= Music G= pictures H= videos I = 1tb external backup drive
>
> I just got a HP Pavilion dv7t-100 laptop. It has 2 - 250 gb hard drives. I
> would like to share and synchronize Windows Mail and eventually the
> computers. But first things first.
>
> I put my contacts into a sharing folder via Live Messenger and sent it to
> the laptop. It is now on the laptop as C:\users\ginnyrn\contacts\contacts.In
> Windows Mail when I open contacts, it opens the folder that has a folder in
> it called contacts and then I have to click on that to see the contacts. I
> have 3 identities that I am successfully receiving mail from but the mail
> stays in whichever computer I open it in. Can someone please tell me.
> I have an internet connection with a Linksys wrt600n router. I am running
> Win Vista Ultimate on the desktop and Home Premium on the laptop.
>
> #1 - how do I get rid of the double contacts\contacts?
> #2 - should I partition this computer? If so how do I do it with the 2 -
> 250gb hard drives?
> #3 - can I get the mail into synchronization before I tackle the rest of the
> computer?
> #4 - should I upgrade the laptop to Vista Ultimate?
> #5 = whatever you can tell me to help before I get this new machine in
> trouble Thank you

CdLSRN

"Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
1. The only way you can share contacts and keep them synced
is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail (WLM) on both computers.
WLM uses a Hotmail account as the middleman for syncing.

2. Not a mail question, thus off-topic here.

3. POP accounts can't be synced. You would have to switch
to IMAP accounts.

4. I have both Ultimate and Home Premium on separate Vista
computers, and I can't tell the difference.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"cdlsrn" <no spam @nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Dell xps 420. I have a 750GB hd for Operating system, and a
>1IB
> drive partitioned with E = documents windows mail with newsgroups and
> contacts, favorites
> F= Music G= pictures H= videos I = 1tb external backup drive
>
> I just got a HP Pavilion dv7t-100 laptop. It has 2 - 250 gb hard drives. I
> would like to share and synchronize Windows Mail and eventually the
> computers. But first things first.
>
> I put my contacts into a sharing folder via Live Messenger and sent it to
> the laptop. It is now on the laptop as
> C:\users\ginnyrn\contacts\contacts.In
> Windows Mail when I open contacts, it opens the folder that has a folder
> in
> it called contacts and then I have to click on that to see the contacts. I
> have 3 identities that I am successfully receiving mail from but the mail
> stays in whichever computer I open it in. Can someone please tell me.
> I have an internet connection with a Linksys wrt600n router. I am running
> Win Vista Ultimate on the desktop and Home Premium on the laptop.
>
> #1 - how do I get rid of the double contacts\contacts?
> #2 - should I partition this computer? If so how do I do it with the 2 -
> 250gb hard drives?
> #3 - can I get the mail into synchronization before I tackle the rest of
> the
> computer?
> #4 - should I upgrade the laptop to Vista Ultimate?
> #5 = whatever you can tell me to help before I get this new machine in
> trouble Thank you

I have Windows Live on each machine just to use the file sharing and to talk
to some friends. But I don't use it for mail. I use Windows Mail on both
machines. Sorry I confused you.
What program should I use to transfer my data from the desktop to the
laptop.?? Will my pictures which are coming fromG:\ windows\user\ etc. ?? on
the desktop go to c:\windows\user\pictures??

Do I need to partition the laptop so the files won't be confused as to where
to go??

CdLSRN

Re: sharing windows mail and synchronizing
new post at bottom

> "Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> 1. The only way you can share contacts and keep them synced
> is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail (WLM) on both computers.
> WLM uses a Hotmail account as the middleman for syncing.
>
> 2. Not a mail question, thus off-topic here.
>
> 3. POP accounts can't be synced. You would have to switch
> to IMAP accounts.
>
> 4. I have both Ultimate and Home Premium on separate Vista
> computers, and I can't tell the difference.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "cdlsrn" <no spam @nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a new Dell xps 420. I have a 750GB hd for Operating system, and a
>>1IB
>> drive partitioned with E = documents windows mail with newsgroups and
>> contacts, favorites
>> F= Music G= pictures H= videos I = 1tb external backup drive
>>
>> I just got a HP Pavilion dv7t-100 laptop. It has 2 - 250 gb hard drives.
>> would like to share and synchronize Windows Mail and eventually the
>> computers. But first things first.
>>
>> I put my contacts into a sharing folder via Live Messenger and sent it to
>> the laptop. It is now on the laptop as
>> C:\users\ginnyrn\contacts\contacts.In
>> Windows Mail when I open contacts, it opens the folder that has a folder
>> in
>> it called contacts and then I have to click on that to see the contacts.
>> have 3 identities that I am successfully receiving mail from but the mail
>> stays in whichever computer I open it in. Can someone please tell me.
>> I have an internet connection with a Linksys wrt600n router. I am running
>> Win Vista Ultimate on the desktop and Home Premium on the laptop.
>>
>> #1 - how do I get rid of the double contacts\contacts?
>> #2 - should I partition this computer? If so how do I do it with the 2 -
>> 250gb hard drives?
>> #3 - can I get the mail into synchronization before I tackle the rest of
>> the
>> computer?
>> #4 - should I upgrade the laptop to Vista Ultimate?
>> #5 = whatever you can tell me to help before I get this new machine in
>> trouble Thank you
>>

> I have Windows Live on each machine just to use the file sharing and to
> talk to some friends. But I don't use it for mail. I use Windows Mail on
> both machines. Sorry I confused you.
> What program should I use to transfer my data from the desktop to the
> laptop.?? Will my pictures which are coming fromG:\ windows\user\ etc. ??
> on the desktop go to c:\windows\user\pictures??
>
> Do I need to partition the laptop so the files won't be confused as to
> where to go??

I called my cable company and they only support POP3 not IMAP.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: sharing windows mail and synchronizing
You didn't confuse me. I merely indicated you can upgrade your
Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail if you want contacts to be
synced across multiple computers.

Data that is not indexed (such as pictures) can be copied any
way you want, including the Windows Explorer file manager.
However, indexed data, like email messages, should only be
copied by using the program's export/import facility.

--

"CdLSRN" <NOspam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23AXBykiFJHA.768@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> "Gary VanderMolen" <Gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> 1. The only way you can share contacts and keep them synced
> is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail (WLM) on both computers.
> WLM uses a Hotmail account as the middleman for syncing.
>
> 2. Not a mail question, thus off-topic here.
>
> 3. POP accounts can't be synced. You would have to switch
> to IMAP accounts.
>
> 4. I have both Ultimate and Home Premium on separate Vista
> computers, and I can't tell the difference.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "cdlsrn" <no spam @nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a new Dell xps 420. I have a 750GB hd for Operating system, and a
>>1IB
>> drive partitioned with E = documents windows mail with newsgroups and
>> contacts, favorites
>> F= Music G= pictures H= videos I = 1tb external backup drive
>>
>> I just got a HP Pavilion dv7t-100 laptop. It has 2 - 250 gb hard drives. I
>> would like to share and synchronize Windows Mail and eventually the
>> computers. But first things first.
>>
>> I put my contacts into a sharing folder via Live Messenger and sent it to
>> the laptop. It is now on the laptop as
>> C:\users\ginnyrn\contacts\contacts.In
>> Windows Mail when I open contacts, it opens the folder that has a folder
>> in
>> it called contacts and then I have to click on that to see the contacts. I
>> have 3 identities that I am successfully receiving mail from but the mail
>> stays in whichever computer I open it in. Can someone please tell me.
>> I have an internet connection with a Linksys wrt600n router. I am running
>> Win Vista Ultimate on the desktop and Home Premium on the laptop.
>>
>> #1 - how do I get rid of the double contacts\contacts?
>> #2 - should I partition this computer? If so how do I do it with the 2 -
>> 250gb hard drives?
>> #3 - can I get the mail into synchronization before I tackle the rest of
>> the
>> computer?
>> #4 - should I upgrade the laptop to Vista Ultimate?
>> #5 = whatever you can tell me to help before I get this new machine in
>> trouble Thank you
>>

> I have Windows Live on each machine just to use the file sharing and to talk
> to some friends. But I don't use it for mail. I use Windows Mail on both
> machines. Sorry I confused you.
> What program should I use to transfer my data from the desktop to the
> laptop.?? Will my pictures which are coming fromG:\ windows\user\ etc. ?? on
> the desktop go to c:\windows\user\pictures??
>
> Do I need to partition the laptop so the files won't be confused as to where
> to go??

Gary VanderMolen

Re: sharing windows mail and synchronizing
There are almost always workarounds, depending on how badly you
want a certain feature. For example, you could open a free IMAP
account with Gmail or AOL, then have all your cable provider's mail
forwarded to the IMAP account.

Here are some informative articles about free IMAP mail:

Gmail: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=75725

AOL: http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/imap/

--

"CdLSRN" <NOspam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uYFGZwiFJHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> I called my cable company and they only support POP3 not IMAP.

Bob Weickert

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> [...]
> >> #2 - should I partition this computer? If so how do I do it with the 2 -
> >> 250gb hard drives?
> >> #3 - can I get the mail into synchronization before I tackle the rest of
> >> the
> >> computer?
> >> #4 - should I upgrade the laptop to Vista Ultimate?
> >> #5 = whatever you can tell me to help before I get this new machine in
> >> trouble Thank you
> >>

> > I have Windows Live on each machine just to use the file sharing and to talk
> > to some friends. But I don't use it for mail. I use Windows Mail on both
> > machines. Sorry I confused you.
> > What program should I use to transfer my data from the desktop to the
> > laptop.?? Will my pictures which are coming fromG:\ windows\user\ etc. ?? on
> > the desktop go to c:\windows\user\pictures??
> >
> > Do I need to partition the laptop so the files won't be confused as to where

Bob Weickert

Re: sharing windows mail and synchronizing
I've recently purchased a Dell PC with Windows Vista Home Basic (and thus
Windows Mail) installed. This replaced the Outlook email on my previous
computer. My ISP is Earthlink and I get my mail through them. Previously,
when I clossed Outlook, I was prompted to synchronize the two addr
books...Outlook's and Earthlink Web Mail's. Now I seem unable to maintain
the two in sync unless I make each change in two places, which is not
practical. Is there any function or program that will enable me to keep the
two addr books, one on this PC under Windows Mail and one on the Web under
Earthlink, in sync? This is painful loss of function.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> [...]
> >> #2 - should I partition this computer? If so how do I do it with the 2 -
> >> 250gb hard drives?
> >> #3 - can I get the mail into synchronization before I tackle the rest of
> >> the
> >> computer?
> >> #4 - should I upgrade the laptop to Vista Ultimate?
> >> #5 = whatever you can tell me to help before I get this new machine in
> >> trouble Thank you
> >>

> > I have Windows Live on each machine just to use the file sharing and to talk
> > to some friends. But I don't use it for mail. I use Windows Mail on both
> > machines. Sorry I confused you.
> > What program should I use to transfer my data from the desktop to the
> > laptop.?? Will my pictures which are coming fromG:\ windows\user\ etc. ?? on
> > the desktop go to c:\windows\user\pictures??
> >
> > Do I need to partition the laptop so the files won't be confused as to where

Linda

Re: sharing windows mail and synchronizing
comment faire pour activer msn

message de news:BADA947E-C69B-4934-8B77-4A769DBB8CDE@microsoft.com...