Vista Computers Don't Discover other Vista Computers

indymurf

Vista Computers Don't Discover other Vista Computers

I have two new Vista Computers, both running Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
I am trying to setup sharing so that I can use the same printer and
share files. However, when I type in the other computers
'\\computername' (file://\\computername) into either of the two
computers search boxes it says 'Windows cannot access '\\computername''
(file://\\computername). Both computers have the same Network name and
have Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing and Media
Sharing Turned on. The Computer w/ the Printer has Printer Sharing
turned on. Both Computers also have Link-Layer Topology Discovery
Mapper and Responder enabled. I can't figure out why they won't
recognize each other. My only guess is that my wireless router is not
allowing them to see each other. I have a home network connected to a
wired router that one of the computers and a Linksys wireless router are
connected to. The second computer passes through the Linksys wireless
router to get to my home network backbone. Any ideas?

--
indymurf
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Computers Don't Discover other Vista Computers

Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"indymurf" wrote:

> I have two new Vista Computers, both running Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
> I am trying to setup sharing so that I can use the same printer and
> share files. However, when I type in the other computers
> '\\computername' (file://\\computername) into either of the two
> computers search boxes it says 'Windows cannot access '\\computername''
> (file://\\computername). Both computers have the same Network name and
> have Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing and Media
> Sharing Turned on. The Computer w/ the Printer has Printer Sharing
> turned on. Both Computers also have Link-Layer Topology Discovery
> Mapper and Responder enabled. I can't figure out why they won't
> recognize each other. My only guess is that my wireless router is not
> allowing them to see each other. I have a home network connected to a
> wired router that one of the computers and a Linksys wireless router are
> connected to. The second computer passes through the Linksys wireless
> router to get to my home network backbone. Any ideas?
>

> --
> indymurf

indymurf

Re: Vista Computers Don't Discover other Vista Computers

This appears to be a Norton Utilities Firewall issue. If I configure
Norton's Firewall settings to allow the ip address of the other pc, then
each pc can then connect to and share resources with the other.

--
indymurf