about Vista & xp access & share problem

sfmmwl

about Vista & xp access & share problem
my english is very poor

1.Vista can access XP computer & share file, XP can not access Vista
computer & share file

2.XP can find Vista computer in LAN

3.XP can not ping Vista

4.Vista & XP ip are 192.168.1.x. Connecting between HUB

5.Vista is Home Basic edition, XP is Pro edition

6.Vista's & XP's user are administrator. Vista had turned off "uac"

7.Vista's network setting had turned off "share by password"(sorry, i don't
know the word in English)

8.Vista's network setting had selected "private network"(sorry, i don't know
the word in English)

9.Vista's had install Mcafee. the Mcafee's firewall had trusted 192.168.1.x

10.someone tell me to use gpedit.msc. but Vista Home Basic can't find it

11.Vista is sp1

who can help me about the problem??

I hope to share the Driver

Mick Murphy

RE: about Vista & xp access & share problem
Below is some info about Networking XP and Vista

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"sfmmwl" wrote:

> my english is very poor
>

> 1.Vista can access XP computer & share file, XP can not access Vista
> computer & share file
>
> 2.XP can find Vista computer in LAN
>
> 3.XP can not ping Vista
>
> 4.Vista & XP ip are 192.168.1.x. Connecting between HUB
>
> 5.Vista is Home Basic edition, XP is Pro edition
>
> 6.Vista's & XP's user are administrator. Vista had turned off "uac"
>
> 7.Vista's network setting had turned off "share by password"(sorry, i don't
> know the word in English)
>
> 8.Vista's network setting had selected "private network"(sorry, i don't know
> the word in English)
>
> 9.Vista's had install Mcafee. the Mcafee's firewall had trusted 192.168.1.x
>
> 10.someone tell me to use gpedit.msc. but Vista Home Basic can't find it
>
> 11.Vista is sp1
>

> who can help me about the problem??
>
> I hope to share the Driver

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: about Vista & xp access & share problem
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"sfmmwl" <hellstorm2048@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> my english is very poor
>

> 1.Vista can access XP computer & share file, XP can not access Vista
> computer & share file
>
> 2.XP can find Vista computer in LAN
>
> 3.XP can not ping Vista
>
> 4.Vista & XP ip are 192.168.1.x. Connecting between HUB
>
> 5.Vista is Home Basic edition, XP is Pro edition
>
> 6.Vista's & XP's user are administrator. Vista had turned off "uac"
>
> 7.Vista's network setting had turned off "share by password"(sorry, i
> don't
> know the word in English)
>
> 8.Vista's network setting had selected "private network"(sorry, i don't
> know
> the word in English)
>
> 9.Vista's had install Mcafee. the Mcafee's firewall had trusted
> 192.168.1.x
>
> 10.someone tell me to use gpedit.msc. but Vista Home Basic can't find it
>
> 11.Vista is sp1
>

> who can help me about the problem??
>
> I hope to share the Driver

Timothy Daniels

Re: about Vista & xp access & share problem
The OP's Vista can access the files on the XP computer.
But the Microsoft article on Link Layer Topology Discovery
(LLTD) is to enable XP to map Vista.

*TimDaniels*

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "sfmmwl" wrote:
>> 1.Vista can access XP computer & share file, XP can not access Vista
>> computer & share file

Timothy Daniels

Re: about Vista & xp access & share problem
Somehow, I don't know how, exactly, I got my XP Pro (SP3) desktop
and my Vista Business (SP1) laptop to see each other thru my Lynksys
router, the Vista laptop appearing in My Network Places on the XP
desktop PC, and the XP desktop appearing in Network on the Vista
laptop PC. The XP Pro shares its Shared Documents folder, and the
Vista Biz shares its Public folder - no username or password required -
and both machines use the same workgroup name ("HOMEGROUP").
This is *without* Link Layer Topology Discovery installed on the XP Pro,
which I hear is only needed for making pretty iconic maps.
Probably significantly, I listed each PC's IP adrs in the other PC's
firewall list of trusted adrses, and I verified that each could ping the
other at those adrses. I wish I could help more, but I only achieved this
after days of fumbling and fruitless search of the Internet and newsgroups.

Now I contemplate networking between the XP Pro desktop PC
and Ubuntu (dual-booted) on the laptop PC. <shudder>.

*TimDaniels*