about xp & vista share problem

my english is very poor

1.Vista can access XP computer & share file, XP can not access Vista
computer & share file

2.XP can find Vista computer in LAN

3.XP can not ping Vista

4.Vista & XP ip are 192.168.1.x. Connecting between HUB

5.Vista is Home Basic edition, XP is Pro edition

6.Vista's & XP's user are administrator. Vista had turned off "uac"

7.Vista's network setting had turned off "share by password"(sorry, i don't
know the word in English)

8.Vista's network setting had selected "private network"(sorry, i don't know
the word in English)

9.Vista's had install Mcafee. the Mcafee's firewall had trusted 192.168.1.x

10.someone tell me to use gpedit.msc. but Vista Home Basic can't find it

11.Vista is sp1

who can help me about the problem??

Malke

Re: about xp & vista share problem
һ wrote:

Comments inline with troubleshooting steps after your post.

> my english is very poor

Your English is just fine.

> 1.Vista can access XP computer & share file, XP can not access Vista
> computer & share file
>
> 2.XP can find Vista computer in LAN
>
> 3.XP can not ping Vista
>
> 4.Vista & XP ip are 192.168.1.x. Connecting between HUB
>
> 5.Vista is Home Basic edition, XP is Pro edition
>
> 6.Vista's & XP's user are administrator. Vista had turned off "uac"

Why? It probably doesn't have anything to do with your issue but turn UAC
back on. You should also create a Standard user in Vista for your everyday
work.

> 7.Vista's network setting had turned off "share by password"(sorry, i
> don't know the word in English)

Turn this back on and create matching user accounts/passwords on both
machines. Turn XP Pro's Simple File Sharing off.

> 8.Vista's network setting had selected "private network"(sorry, i don't
> know the word in English)
>
> 9.Vista's had install Mcafee. the Mcafee's firewall had trusted
> 192.168.1.x

Uninstall McAfee. Use a better antivirus such as NOD32, Kaspersky, or Avast.
The built-in Windows Firewall is adequate for most people.

> 10.someone tell me to use gpedit.msc. but Vista Home Basic can't find it

The Group Policy Editor is not available in Vista Home Editions nor do you
need it to set up LAN file sharing.

> 11.Vista is sp1

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance
with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you
would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO
NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

sfmmwl

Re: about xp & vista share problem
tks for your help.

I have found the problem.

vista's FS is NTFS. The default setting of driver & folder does not
include "everyone".

xp's FS is FAT32. everyone can access it.

so I add "everyone" in vista's .

the problem is disappeared

Gordon

"sfmmwl" <hellstorm2048@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> xp's FS is FAT32.

Is there a reason for that? NTFS is far superior to FAT in every respect...

DDW

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>"sfmmwl" <hellstorm2048@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> xp's FS is FAT32.

>Is there a reason for that? NTFS is far superior to FAT in every respect...

XP systems can have it either way. FAT32 isn't hard-wired.

DDW
No email please
Gordon

"DDW" <ddwright@KILLSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"sfmmwl" <hellstorm2048@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> xp's FS is FAT32.

>>Is there a reason for that? NTFS is far superior to FAT in every
>>respect...

> XP systems can have it either way. FAT32 isn't hard-wired.

Yes I know. I wanted to ask the OP if there was a reason he had kept his XP
system as FAT and hadn't converted to NTFS....(sharing data with a dual-boot
W98 would be one reason for example...)

sfmmwl

Re: about xp & vista share problem
hello.

I kept my XP as FAT32, because I think it is simply.

I have 3 computer at home. I don't think it is necessary to use NTFS.
I trust my family.

If the Vista can be choiced & the HD can be supported, I would select FAT32
also.

Gordon

> hello.
>
> I kept my XP as FAT32, because I think it is simply.
>
> I have 3 computer at home. I don't think it is necessary to use NTFS.
> I trust my family.
>
> If the Vista can be choiced & the HD can be supported, I would select
> FAT32 also.

NTFS is not just to do with "simple" and "trusting family". It's far more
than that. For one thing it is a far more efficient use of disk space.

Have a read here: (there are many other sites - do a Google)
http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/a...ld-you-choose/