Unable copy MDB XP to Vista

SageAdvice

Unable copy MDB XP to Vista
Notebook with XP Home (Note), notebook with Vista Home Premium 32 bit (Note2)
and desktop with Vista Ultimate 32 bit (VistaPC). All 3 see each other and
can transfer most files to/from each other.
However, when sitting at Note2 I can not copy Microsoft Access (.mdb) files
from Note to Note2's hard disk. Does not matter which directory, even the
public one. Note2 has no anti-virus software (did have Microsoft Defender but
that is now disabled), Windows firewall is turned off.
Similarly when sitting at VistaPC I can not copy .mdb files from Note.
VistaPC has Access 2000 installed, Note2 has trial version of Office 2007.
When sitting at Note I can copy files to either Note2 or VistaPC.
When sitting at Note2 I can copy .mdb from VistaPC. When sitting at VistaPC
I can copy .mdb from Note2. I can also copy other files between the two Vista
PCs including .exe files.
The error I get when trying to copy a .mdb to either Vista PC from the XP PC
is "Destination Folder Access Denied" "You need permission", but only with
..mdb files, other files copy OK.
I have UAC turned off on Note2, I have every conceivable permission set on
Note2 have read numerous posts here on permissions issues.
Note and Note2 have identical user name and passwords and are both logged on
using that common pair.The user on Note2 has Full Control as does the Guest
account and Everyone.
If I sit at Note and copy a .mdb file onto the C:\folder on Note2, and then
update the file on Note, I can then sit at Note2 and copy the more recent
version over the earlier one.
So, the problem is quite specific. I can not create a new file by copying a
..mdb from XP onto Vista.
SageAdvice

RE: Unable copy MDB XP to Vista
I have since connected a XP Pro PC to the network. Sitting at NOTE2 or
VISATPCI can copy .mdb files from that to NOTE2/VISTAPC. So the issue is
more specific, in that it relates to files copied from XP Home only.
So, probably related to Simple File Sharing which can not be turned off in
XP Home.
There must be some solution to this, or is it another of Microsoft's many
non backwardly compatible blunders.

"SageAdvice" wrote:

> Notebook with XP Home (Note), notebook with Vista Home Premium 32 bit (Note2)
> and desktop with Vista Ultimate 32 bit (VistaPC). All 3 see each other and
> can transfer most files to/from each other.
> However, when sitting at Note2 I can not copy Microsoft Access (.mdb) files
> from Note to Note2's hard disk. Does not matter which directory, even the
> public one. Note2 has no anti-virus software (did have Microsoft Defender but
> that is now disabled), Windows firewall is turned off.
> Similarly when sitting at VistaPC I can not copy .mdb files from Note.
> VistaPC has Access 2000 installed, Note2 has trial version of Office 2007.
> When sitting at Note I can copy files to either Note2 or VistaPC.
> When sitting at Note2 I can copy .mdb from VistaPC. When sitting at VistaPC
> I can copy .mdb from Note2. I can also copy other files between the two Vista
> PCs including .exe files.
> The error I get when trying to copy a .mdb to either Vista PC from the XP PC
> is "Destination Folder Access Denied" "You need permission", but only with
> .mdb files, other files copy OK.
> I have UAC turned off on Note2, I have every conceivable permission set on
> Note2 have read numerous posts here on permissions issues.
> Note and Note2 have identical user name and passwords and are both logged on
> using that common pair.The user on Note2 has Full Control as does the Guest
> account and Everyone.
> If I sit at Note and copy a .mdb file onto the C:\folder on Note2, and then
> update the file on Note, I can then sit at Note2 and copy the more recent
> version over the earlier one.
> So, the problem is quite specific. I can not create a new file by copying a
> .mdb from XP onto Vista.

SageAdvice

RE: Unable copy MDB XP to Vista
The issue seems to be fixed by something I did to the XP Home notebook
(Note). Not sure what I did but I did boot it in safe mode and logon as
Adminstrator and then use the Security tab on the folder's properties and
give the User and Everyone full access. Odd thing is immediately after doing
that there was no change, even after a reboot.
File copying actually became possible whilst installing SP3 on Note, but I'm
not sure if that is mere coincidence or not.
But, despite the "Destination Folder Access Denied" error message the fault
must have been with the source, ie XP Home, as I have made no changes to
VISTAPC and I can now copy .mdb files from NOTE to VISTAPC which I could not
before.