Does sharing folders required admin priveleges?

Rodrigo Monteiro

Does sharing folders required admin priveleges?
In our domain, we are starting to implement Windows Vista.
To share folders, though, our users have to be administrators. They were
supposed to be Power Users. How do I enable Power Users to be able to share
folders like they did on Windows XP?
And no, we do not wish to use the Public Folder share, we would like to be
ale to share folders as in Windows XP.

If not a group, is there a group policy to enable this kind of sharing?

Thanks in advance.

Rodrigo
oscar

RE: Does sharing folders required admin priveleges?

In a domain network, folder and file sharing permissions are granted by an
administrator to individual users or groups. Once the persmissions are
granted by the administrator, non-administrator users can access the shared
folders and files.

Here’s some basic information to get you started:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...051033.mspx#E4

Hope this points you in the right direction…

--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"Rodrigo Monteiro" wrote:

> In our domain, we are starting to implement Windows Vista.
> To share folders, though, our users have to be administrators. They were
> supposed to be Power Users. How do I enable Power Users to be able to share
> folders like they did on Windows XP?
> And no, we do not wish to use the Public Folder share, we would like to be
> ale to share folders as in Windows XP.
>
> If not a group, is there a group policy to enable this kind of sharing?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rodrigo

Rodrigo Monteiro

RE: Does sharing folders required admin privileges?
Heya, thanks for the reply.

I know how to share folders
What I meant is, how can Non-Administrator users share them? For example, a
user creates a folder on his computer, puts files in it, and wants to share
that folder.
When he clicks the "Share" button, a consent window pops up, requiring a
computer administrator to put his credentials.

Im assuming that Administrators are part of a group that can share folders.
Or is it something completely different?

I know this should pretty basic...

Thank you in advance.

Rodrigo Monteiro

RE: Does sharing folders required admin privileges?
Just as an added information, I didn't realize that Vista doesn't add a user
as full-control when he creates one. But I did give him that security
privilege, and still the consent window pops up...

Any ideas, please?
oscar

RE: Does sharing folders required admin privileges?
Howdy,

The quick answer to the original question is: Yes, in order to share folders
on a particular computer on a secure Vista domain network, admin privileges
are required to set it up.