XP <--> Vista networking (XP can access files, Vista can't)

Ali

XP <--> Vista networking (XP can access files, Vista can't)
I've been trying desperately to network my two machines through a Belkin
router. The XP Media Center machine is connected via an ethernet cable, and
the Vista is wireless - both connect to the Internet without issues. XP can
see the Vista files and access them just fine, but Vista, while being able to
spot the XP machine occasionally when I go to the network area to query what
is being shared on the network, cannot see any of the XP shared files (two
drives and the other standard shared materials like printers and such) - it
gives a "The network path was not found" error. Also, the XP machine doesn't
show up on the Vista machine's network map.

Both machines are completely up to date, optional updates and all. Both are
running Comodo firewall software - I've tried running them naked, and this
didn't help. I've put the XP on the wireless network, trying to see if that
might be an issue, and this didn't fix it.

Please help! I've run out of ideas.
Mick Murphy

RE: XP <--> Vista networking (XP can access files, Vista can't)
Turn on XP's file and printer sharing.
Info below.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
computer.

Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

"Ali" wrote:

> I've been trying desperately to network my two machines through a Belkin
> router. The XP Media Center machine is connected via an ethernet cable, and
> the Vista is wireless - both connect to the Internet without issues. XP can
> see the Vista files and access them just fine, but Vista, while being able to
> spot the XP machine occasionally when I go to the network area to query what
> is being shared on the network, cannot see any of the XP shared files (two
> drives and the other standard shared materials like printers and such) - it
> gives a "The network path was not found" error. Also, the XP machine doesn't
> show up on the Vista machine's network map.
>
> Both machines are completely up to date, optional updates and all. Both are
> running Comodo firewall software - I've tried running them naked, and this
> didn't help. I've put the XP on the wireless network, trying to see if that
> might be an issue, and this didn't fix it.
>
> Please help! I've run out of ideas.

Ali

RE: XP <--> Vista networking (XP can access files, Vista can't)
I realize you're covering your bases, but like I said, the Vista files shows
up just fine on the XP machine, so I've definitely done all this. I'm trying
to figure out why Vista can't see XP.

Thanks anyway.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Turn on XP's file and printer sharing.
> Info below.

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall (or LAN allowed, depending on how their
> Exceptions are worded in their Firewall)
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, and no
> identical usernames/passwords, you will be asked for a username and password
> when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer, or a Vista
> computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home or Small Office Network File and Printer Sharing
> Wizard, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to adding a Vista computer
> to it(redoing the Wizard seems to work for XP machines!).
>
> In “My Network Places”: “Set up a Home or Small Office Network”
> OR under Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard > Allow File
> and Printer Sharing.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

Ali

RE: XP <--> Vista networking (XP can access files, Vista can't)
By the way, my XP & Vista machines both appear in my router list of all the
computer connected, but I can't ping the XP machine from the Vista one.
(Haven't tried the reverse, granted, but I have been able to use the Vista
files sans issues.)

Please, someone, help. There has to be an answer.